BootsnAll Travel Network



I’m Buck in the U.K…


“Old man look at my life,
Twenty four and there’s so much more
Live alone in a paradise
That makes me think of two.

Love lost, such a cost,
Give me things that don’t get lost.
Like a coin that won’t get tossed
Rolling home to you.”

These lyrics, from the Neil Young song Old Man have been floating around my head the last few days looking for a place to land. Seems like this is it.

On Thursday I recieved an email that my Father had serious heart problems and was in hospital awaiting a triple heart bypass. On Friday I flew into Heathrow & went straight to the hospital to see him. On Saturday he had his operation. All the signs are that it was a complete success. He’ll be in hospital for a few more days, and then will need to recuperate at home for a few months after that. All I can say is that we’re all really, really thankful that he’s going to be O.K.

So where does this leave me? One of the ironies of this whole situation is that immediately before I recieved that fateful email I had completed my first solo teaching practice. The lesson was about “scary things”. I was just about to email my family about how much I was enjoying being a (trainee) teacher. Instead I got some news I was not expecting.

I think a friend of mine on the course got it right when she told me that sometimes you have to bypass obstacles to achieve your goals. This is not the end for me & teaching. And it is not the end for me & Thailand. We all have unfinished business.

Hope everybody is well.

Bucky.



Tags:

2 responses to “I’m Buck in the U.K…”

  1. dan N says:

    Hey dude that mustve been a massive shock, wish father buckman well mate.
    I’d be calling you right now but i dont have your number, gimme a call, im in london if you fancy a pint.

  2. Laurence Buckman says:

    This is the cause of the return trip emailing: I’m OK after an unpleasantly close shave and a nasty operation. It will take a while to get over it, but the recovery was helped by Rob returning to keep his mum, brother and me company. I told him that this had to be his decision as I did not want to prejudice his trip or teaching, but I’m glad he decided that blood was thicker than water (in my case much thicker).

    I’m on the mend, he can always resume his teaching in a few weeks and everyone feels luckier than they did 10 days ago.

    I like “Old Man” – I ws singing it in bars before Bucky bawled.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *