BootsnAll Travel Network



Lago Atitlan Trip Report

Here’s the photo trip report for my 3 day hike from Quetzaltenango to Lago Atitlan. You can click on the thumbnail photos to enlarge them.

– DAY 1 –

IMG_5112.JPG

After eating a hearty breakfast of eggs, black beans, tortillas and fruit, we walked 30 minutes to our chicken bus and we on the trail by 10am. hiking up from a small pueblo overlooking the city.

IMG_5117.JPG

It was a beautiful morning, not too hot, and the steepness of the trail afforded beautiful views the higher we climbed.

IMG_5120.JPG

Climbing up to our rest stop.

IMG_5121.JPG

Breaktime.

IMG_5125.JPG

The trees gave way to grassy meadows and open spaces…

IMG_5128.JPG

The path became dusty as we crossed farmed land and village homes.

IMG_5138.JPG

What goes up, must come down…very carefully with this soft and dusty ground.

IMG_5157.JPG

We continue our hike into the late afternoon, as the clouds came in to cool the sweat on our brows.
IMG_5163.JPG

We hiked up to a small village, passing by these packs of dogs in the street. I had flashbacks to my scary encounter on my bike ride, but fortunately the dogs were all preoccupied with someone throwing out some food scraps to pay attention to me.
IMG_5168.JPG

And stayed at this abandoned hostel, which is now only used by the Quetzaltrekkers group for this very hike. The place had no electricity and was definitely a scary place to sleep in at night. It would make the perfect setting for a teen horror slasher flick. I am so happy that I brought my headlamp, because after 6pm, you look down this hallway in complete darkness and it will give you the willies.
IMG_5176.JPG

During the night, we all tried out the Mayan sauna, called a temaskul. It is not for someone who might be closterphobic, as the space was very small and it got hot in a hurry!

IMG_5179.JPG

Barely enough room for 4.

– DAY 2 –

IMG_5188.JPG

Early morning wake up at 6am, bean, tortilla and egg breakfast at a local comedor, and on the trail by 7:30am.
IMG_5192.JPG

We climbed up and up and up, and had to navigate a portion of a mountain landslide to get to this view.

IMG_5216.JPG

Looking back from where we came from.

IMG_5222.JPG

Jerri meets the local kids and they pose for pictures.
IMG_5230.JPG

We continue hiking down to our lunch break stop.

IMG_5233.JPG

A young German and his mom (I forgot their names) along for the hike.
IMG_5241.JPG

We hike down to the river for a quick break.

IMG_5248.JPG

And follow the bank, crossing the river 12 times over and back until….

IMG_5251.JPG

…we reach our final ascent. Up the steep section we go.

IMG_5254.JPG

At the top, it is another 45 minute hike along the road to our stop for the night, the home of Don Poncho.

IMG_5252.JPG

After all the hiking, the candle light dinner was sublime.

– DAY 3 –

IMG_5282.JPG

4:30am wake up. Pack up. Hike along the dark road and up a small trail for the sunrise.

IMG_5310.JPG

And breakfast. Oatmeal, tea and coffee.

IMG_5295.JPG

Unforgettable.
IMG_5304.JPG

Morning tea and the rising sun.

IMG_5329.JPG

Hiking down to the lake…

IMG_5341.JPG

Where we put on our bathing costumes (that’s what Brittish Marc calls em’) and take a swim in the lake.

IMG_5351.JPG

Then we catch a lancha boat ride across the lake to the town of San Pedro…

IMG_5357.JPG

Where lunch awaits us.

IMG_5379.JPG

Half of our group heads back to Xela in the afternoon aboard a pick up truck, while some of us stay behind for a few more days to enjoy the lake. Here’s where I slept for $2 a night. That’s right, $2 gets me a private room and shared bath. San Pedro has to be one of the cheapest destinations in Central America for accomodations and food.

IMG_5376.JPG

This entire breakfast cost me under $5.

IMG_5405.JPG

I moved on to San Marcos, the New Age/Mediation place and found a dorm room at this place.

IMG_5410.JPG

I spent the afternoon hanging out near the lake and stayed until the moon poked out.

IMG_5428.JPG

And then it was on to Panajachel via a 45 minute lancha.

IMG_5449.JPG

I hiked around Reserva Natural Atitlan which had monkeys, a butterfly farm, and these suspension bridges.

IMG_5452.JPG

Can’t get enough of the lake.

IMG_5460.JPG

One final look at Lago Atitlan.



Tags:

One response to “Lago Atitlan Trip Report”

  1. Luis Secaida says:

    Great pictures of my favorite spot in Guatemala,
    enjoy the rest of your trip,

  2. Mike Jones says:

    Ok dude..

    When are you coming home???

    You think you will do STP still?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *