BootsnAll Travel Network



IRTRA XOCOMIL: A Day of Fun and Thrills

As I’m still hanging out in the Yucatan of Mexico, here’s a look back at one of my favorite days in Guatemala!….

After my debacle with losing my glasses and enduring 11 hours on the bus to get back to Xela, I wanted to have a little fun so that I could laugh and smile once more.  Easy cure:  IRTRA’s Xocomil Water Park. 

My book says it is about a 45 minute bus ride south of Xela, but I should have known better.  On the chicken bus, with multiple stops, a detour along dirty backroads because of road re-construction (due to last fall’s Hurricane Stan), and more stops along the way, it took close to a maddening 2 hours!  Me being a thrill park junkie, I always want to be one of the first in the park so that I can avoid the crowds that come later.  Alas, I finally arrived, and here are the photos of what I consider one of the top waterparks in the world.  Okay, I haven’t been to every water park in the world, or even 5 in the U.S., but I can definitely say that Xocomil does it right with little touches all thoughout the park…lots of trees and green, clean walkways, plenty of water rides to suit all tastes, reasonable food for reasonable prices, and decor that rivals the detail of Disneyland.  The best example of this is on the lazy river innertube ride, where you float under the shades of tree canopies as you pass “ancient relics” of Mayan statues and ruins, complete with rain showers, waterfalls, and “scenes” of indigenous living.

 

IMG_6233.JPG

Welcome to the Park!

 

IMG_6204.JPG

The main entrance.

 

IMG_6206.JPG

Guests enjoying the inner tubes as they pass different scenes.  I floated on my tube four times around the park, which lasts over 10 minutes to make a complete trip.

 

IMG_6215.JPG

Entering “the canyon”

 

IMG_6218.JPG

A guy tries to avoid the spray.

 

IMG_6214.JPG

The hydrotubes!  With or without a raft, they have 2 that are completely encompassed in darkness so you have no idea where the turns and twists will take you.

 

IMG_6234.JPG

I rode every ride at least twice, including this one that shoots you straight up, and back down for a smooth landing.

 

IMG_6241.JPG

The fantastic wave pool.

 

IMG_6232.JPG

Right before leaving the park, I had to get my daily fix of a Sarita ice cream cone, double scoop of vanilla and chocolate (I know, so plain and boring!), it is the one addiction I just can’t shake!  Yum yum yum.



Tags:

2 responses to “IRTRA XOCOMIL: A Day of Fun and Thrills”

  1. Mon says:

    Hey Skinny, eat more of those ice cream cones cuz you are withering away. 🙂

  2. air airline cheap discounted flight ticket

    Air airline cheap disc……

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *