BootsnAll Travel Network



Spaghetti with chopsticks?

It has been a while since I talked about food, but the lineup presented in the dining hall today has prompted a trip back down memory lane to the American school cafeteria.

We (the teachers) eat all our meals with our students as a “family”. Breakfast is always rice porridge, hard-boiled eggs, and a variety of sweet breads. Lunch and dinner are a bit less predictable – we always have rice and always have soup, but in the last few weeks we have had eel, crayfish (or crawfish), prawn and shrimp (yes, there is a difference), whole fish (straight from the lake to the pan, head/tail/eyes still intact), breaded pig ears, seaweed, tofu, and any vegetable that can be boiled or cooked beyond identification. The cooking staff has “Americanized” the menu to include chicken nuggets (ala McDonalds), chicken legs in a sauce similar to barbeque, and spaghetti* with a minced meat sauce.

*The spaghetti only appeared once, as the cooks did not like cooking the pasta noodles and trying to eat it with chopsticks … well, it is just not a pretty sight.

I think I have tried everything at least once.  What did you expect? 



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *