BootsnAll Travel Network



No English

The food here is kinda crazy. When we arrived to the University on Friday, we were escorted to the student cafeteria for our first meal.  You basically get in a line and point to a steam tray containing what looks like it might be good and the server puts a big glob of it on a tray with a mound of white rice.  The first evening I sampled 5 things (please do not ask me what they were) and only one was completely unacceptable, so I guess that is pretty good.  Last night a group of us were “dining out” and ordered a soup with chicken and vegetables, which was quite enjoyable – until the chicken feet surfaced in the tureen.  I think I will stick to rice and vegetables from now on …

I do wish I had practiced a bit more with the chopsticks.  But, more important than the lack of silverware is the lack of English – no one speaks English – no one.  No English.  I really wish I knew how to speak Chinese, as the beginner Mandarin lessons and traveler phrase books are just not that helpful.  Thank goodness one of the rules at the English Camp is “English Only” classrooms.

I will begin teaching tomorrow (Monday) morning.  My class is thirty-one 11-to-13-year-olds who appear to be at a “high-beginner” level of English.  They came to the university via bus this morning and will be staying in dorm rooms for 4 weeks, and they are a happy, excited bunch.  I spent a few hours talking and singing with them this morning, and we had a welcome ceremony for all students this afternoon.  It will be great fun!!



Tags:

-19 responses to “No English”

  1. Marie says:

    Hi Nancy!

    Hope you have a happy birthday! Wishing you delicious soup that doesn’t contain chicken feet!

  2. Ardath says:

    Who would have guessed you would spend your
    birthday in Hangzhou, China?
    Your travels continue to sound fascinating.
    Chiang Mai was great. Keep us posted on you adventures.
    Happy Birthday!! Love, Mother.

  3. Deb says:

    Happy birthday, Nanc! Maybe the kids can sing “Happy Birthday to You”. No Wuollet’s cake, though, but maybe when you come back we’ll get some. In the meantime, enjoy the rice and vegies. Sounds like you are seeting some GREAT scenery.

    Deb

  4. Mike says:

    Happy Birthday, Nancy!I guess it’s always kind of surprising that nobody there speaks English since I always think there had to be some kind of British crossover with them and never remember that the Mainland is the Mainland and Hong Kong is a whole other animal.Your students sound like a good bunch and I’ll bet you’ll have a lot fun with them.

  5. Shannon says:

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I’m pretty sure chicken feet are good luck.. not for the chicken mind you but I think you may now be safe from the hexes etc. Hmmm, wonder if that’s what is causing he trots? I can’t believe how much traveling your are doing! It sounds like they really need you teacher – have fun with the kids! We miss you! -Shan

  6. Bill says:

    Happy Birthday. Is this your 21st or 22nd?

    Love,

    Bill

  7. Susan Joanis says:

    Well, I keep getting my replies refused so I will try one last time. I am so amazed at all your adventures and really admire your spirit to try really different things. A month late, but not for lack of trying— Happy Birthday!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *