BootsnAll Travel Network



Work in the Bahamas? Don’t twist my arm…

I promise, this will be my last comment about lizards (maybe)…they are so unbelievably HUGE down here! I was at Home Depot yesterday wandering around the garden section and I saw this little lizard, like the cute green ones that are all over the place back home in Gainesville. So I bent down to look at it closer and then this other massive one runs out in front of me and stops. It was HUGE! Not as big as the iguana, but all the same…this was like one of those lizards you see on Discovery Channel documentaries shot in Africa, with its hind legs about three times longer than its front ones and windmilling as he ran. It was the funniest thing! I tried to chase after it with my phone to get a picture but it ran under a pallet before I could get a good one. When will the lizard wonders cease to amaze me?

I managed to get quite a lot done this weekend around my apartment. It’s been arts and crafts and other random tasks as I’ve tried to piece the place together one part at a time. So far things are coming together nicely! I’m still short two end tables, but the coffee table came Saturday morning and the others should be here in a week or so. I’ve been getting pictures printed, hung, picture frames painted, shelves decorated, fake trees bought and potted, and patio furniture polyurethaned. That was no fun task. I started last week, and was halfway done with the first chair before I started feeling something funny in my nose. It turned out that the polyurethane fumes I was breathing in were beginning to seal my nasal passages shut! Oops! I also managed to get a nice plastic coating on my arms and legs while I was at it. I finished the job tonight and thought I was being really smart by tying a bandana around my face to protect myself from the fumes. I thought it helped, but that was just until my noxious fume-induced high wore off and I realized my lungs were coated in plastic once again. So now not only are my chairs protected from the elements, but my lungs are as well.

Work has been going really well! Anyone who has talked to me knows that this job came with all sorts of cushy little perks (point in case, unlimited free Diet Coke), and today I was happily surprised by another bit of news. Today we had our weekly departmental meeting to discuss goings-ons and the topic of our team outing was brought up. I was thinking maybe we’d go out to lunch together, or something like that. At Siemens the big outing of my 2 1/2 year stint was a trip to the bowling alley and a couple of pitchers of beer, of which I was too young to drink. So I was completely floored when the director said we’d be taking a cruise to the Bahamas! Granted it’s only for the day, but still! When else will you get to have a daiquiri while you’re “working”? (If you’re English, don’t answer.) I wonder what would happen if I “accidentally” didn’t make it back on the boat at the end of the day…

All afternoon I’ve been thinking about getting back on a boat and heading out to some tropical place and it’s got me thinking about my next trip! I’m still not used to the idea that I can’t pack up and go somewhere at the drop of a hat, but I’m comforted at least that I have way more time to travel with at this job than anywhere else I could be here in the U.S. I’ve been trying to think where I might go, and what’s next on my list of must-do things before I die. So far I’m stumped! There’s too many things to choose from I think. Fortunately for me several of my friends are about to be leaving to travel for extended periods of time, so at any given time in the next year I could hook up with someone and tag along for a few weeks. It’s so fun to think about! I honestly believe that the best part of a trip is the anticipation leading up to it. I guess that’s true of many things as well–like Christmas. October 1st marks the beginning of my Christmas season! From then it’s the buildup to Halloween (one of my faves!), then right on to Thanksgiving, and then it’s time to put up the tree and start baking cookies! Aww, I feel like pulling out my dancing Christmas dog and turning on A Christmas Story right now! How’d I get onto this subject? The effects of the polyurethane fumes must not have worn off just yet. 😉



Tags: , , , , , ,

One response to “Work in the Bahamas? Don’t twist my arm…”

  1. day cruise from fort lauderdale to bahamas

    Find Deals for Florida Day Cruise. Number 1 day cruise from Fort Lauderdale to the Bahamas One day Bahamas cruise Bahama Day Cruise or a two night Nassau Bahamas cruise Regal. All Cruise L…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *