BootsnAll Travel Network



Shake Shake Shake Your Booty


Koala Sleep

Originally uploaded by roupiesontour

January 28th – Umina

After several “excursions” around the local area we have given in and bought a road atlas. In NZ we got one straight away but with the wealth of information available we did not need one. Here the opposite applies – not really much info to be had so it’s on your own mate. We found our way pretty quickly again and spent the morning at Norman Lindsay’s pad. He was a multi talented artist, sculptor and writer and the basis for the film “Sirens”. The house and grounds are as beautiful as they are in the film but I think the kids were embarrassed at all the naked paintings so they amused themselves in the van while I took the tour. It was fascinating and of course he was nothing like his portrayal in the film. The van was also still in 1 piece when I got back.

I don’t think I have ever seen a live “koala” before and we were lucky to arrive at the Koala Sanctuary at feeding time. They sleep for about 16 hours a day so you usually get to see them squashed up in a tree fast asleep. Photo opportunities galore (if you waited behind the endless queue of Japanese tourists who were more interesting to watch than the animals) and to touch. They are soooo cute and soooo soft you can’t help but fall in love. There were Kangaroos, Kookaburras, Wallabys, Wombats, Dingoes, Emus, Penguins but our hearts were with the Koalas from the moment we saw them. We even saw some wild ones in the trees.

The wildlife encounter did not stop there – at the park that evening we had barely got out the van when a lovely Australian couple gave us a full run down of what to see on our way up the coast. They also said there were possums around us at night and if we put out some bread and honey we could watch them from a distance. Both kids were ready for bed by the time it was dark so it was off with the lights in the van and immediately there one was right in front of us eating! What a way to end the day. O woke up twice in the night and both times saw one.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *