BootsnAll Travel Network



January 6th – It’s My Birthday, It’s My Birthday.


Queenstown 056

Originally uploaded by roupiesontour

Usually I have mixed feelings about today. Don’t get me wrong I love other people’s birthdays but as mine is just after Christmas, the weather is usually pants, no-one has any money after the holidays and feels like celebrating even less it’s not as fun as a summer birthday. Imagine then waking up in summer, to the sunshine coming through the tent, the birds singing and being on holiday – what a great feeling! I think I will have to come back next year too. I had already told the kids not to get me anything as the holiday itself was a huge present. O had made me a card and promised to make all the food for the day so I could relax – bliss. By the time we had got up and had breakfast (outside in the sunshine!) and packed up it was quite late. We stayed in the area and explored the dam and volcanic centre. The simulated earthquake was fun and seeing films on the volcanic eruptions of Mount R in 95/96. There is actually a ski resort on the volcano and seeing the slopes with grey snow (volcanic ash) was quite bizarre.

A couple of hours drive through the forest and we arrived in Napier. The town is like an art deco picture postcard – lots of colourful pastel houses and palm tree lined avenues on a turquoise water bay. The English Riviera that could be. The sun is so hot we were grateful to get a tent site at the holiday camp with a shady tree. Our doodle tent has been quite a hit with kids and they all come up to have a look, dragging parents behind them after 5 minutes. When the kids start to plead for pens so they can do the same for their tent I just look away and change the subject! It has started a lot of conversations though. Camping life is fun. You have to be very organised with your stuff and without all the things to do at the holiday camps the kids would get very bored quickly but we are really enjoying it. The scenery is amazing, next to lakes, in forests or with very open views. The people, a mixture of tourists and natives are all so friendly and if you are missing something or having trouble with anything you can guarantee someone will help. The best bit is walking around in your pyjamas and no-one gives a second glance – how cool is that. I love the open cooking areas and waking up to the sound of so many birds (no longer stiff now I have my self inflating mat) and feeling the sun glow through the tent warming my old bones.

We had a walk around the town and along the grey stone beach. A restaurant we passed advertised eating free on your birthday but the call of sausages and O having promised to cook was too much to resist………………



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *