BootsnAll Travel Network



Home Of The Crocodile Hunter


Brisbane, Noosa 020

Originally uploaded by roupiesontour

Beerwah – what a strange name for a town but this is where Australia zoo lies and was home to Steve Irwin before his untimely death. Little known fact – his parents opened the original reptile park in the 70’s so what is now the massive Australia zoo was really Steve Irwin’s home. I thought he was just a patron of it or something. You have to drive down Steve Irwin Way through the forests to get there so there’s no mistaking you’re in the right place. We stay in the holiday park at Forest Glen for a couple of days so we can make the most of our time here. It is absolutely deserted apart from a grey nomad couple from the UK. The guy caught up with some old friends on Friends Reunited and is visiting them after 50 years in Australia! Even though it is raining we manage to have some fun as the receptionist takes pity on us and lets us watch a DVD on the big screen telly in the movie room. Forever trying to educate the kids I settle for Elizabeth with the 2 main actors being Australian! Cate Blanchett is amazing though and I think the kids actually enjoyed it!

The zoo itself is on a huge plot and involves a lot of walking – or you can take the “Steve Shuttle” around. We saw some amazing animals, elephants, tigers, wombats, koalas, dingoes, cheetas, Tasmanian Devils, snakes (including the most massive python ever) and of course the crocs. The main show in the crocoseum (!) showed how quick they were and hearing the snap of their jaws – eerie. We fed the elephants ( very strange to feel a trunk) and saw tiger cubs playing and running after their keeper in the water. The koalas got a stroke and we watched the kangaroos rolling around and lazing in the sunshine. There are also lots of wild water dragons running around the park that made you jump when they ran right in fron of you. It was a great day and as far as zoos go I would really recommend it. The keepers were also very good, all smiles and answered all sorts of questions all day. The spirit of Steve lives on and is available to buy in every commercial way you can think of from “Steve Lives” surfwear to a strange looking doll and of course “crikey” written on everything. The heat made it exhausting so we were glad that the rain kept off till the evening to cool us down.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *