BootsnAll Travel Network



Halekelikimaca Is The Thing To Say To Make You Smile Smile Smile


Diamond Head View

Originally uploaded by roupiesontour

Up early as we were all excited. Straight off to the beach. Not very crowded, the beach stretches right round all the way to Diamond Head. It’s quite a view. There were some surfers but the waves seemed to be quite calm. We had fun watching the catamarans come and go and swimming in the turquoise waters. We even saw a turtle swimming near the shore raise it’s head – on our first day!!

As we are all quite pale I thought it wise to only stay for the morning. We were smothered in factor 30 but O managed to get burnt on her ankles and also has a nice red line on her cheek. Fingers crossed it will not hurt too much.

Back to the hotel for some sarnies and then we ventured onto the bus to Diamond Head. You can go to the top which according to the guide book was an easy trail including 100 steps. Well let me tell you by the time Josh and I got to the top (O faded before the top) we were both red faced, panting and weak kneed. For those of you that know me can only begin to imagine my hair and the humidity – yes finger in light socket scenario. The views were spectacular – you can see the crater just below and from the mountains to the shores. Felt like a real idiot though when some Japanese guy came up behind us, he must have been about 70 and wasn’t even out of breath!

We celebrated our trek but at base camp with a shaved ice. Other tourists just starting the ascent asked us what it was like – we lied and said you’ll be fine – just pace yourself.

The sun was quickly setting so dumped our stuff back at the hotel and a quick walk to the beach to catch the sunset. The beach was full of people with the same idea and all taking photos so who needs fireworks! It was beautiful – the crowds disappear as soon as the sun descends into the ocean but to watch the bay turn into a night scene with all the twinkling lights was well worth the wait. I hope I get to see this most nights. I have fallen completely in love with the island and am already not looking forward to leaving…………..



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *