BootsnAll Travel Network



February 2nd – Koala Hospital


Port Stephens 051

Originally uploaded by roupiesontour

Josh had a bad headache this morning – it almost seemed like a migraine to me but a Nurofen sorted him out pretty quickly. He was well enough to come and see the koalas at The Koala Hospital though. I thought it might be a bit upsetting but actually it was great. Set in beautiful grounds on a reserve near the historic Roto House in Port Macquaire the koalas are brought in after accidents that can be anything from fire, car accidents, falls to conjunctivitis and dog attack. There are story boards near the entrance which are heart breaking but you also get to see the koalas being treated and getting ready for return to the wild in outdoor enclosures. You have to use your eyes well to spot them but we were lucky in that about half were awake so we could watch them eating and watch us with amusement. Some are permanent residents that are blind and unable to fend for themselves. The hospital even had a white koala a while back that made the press worldwide – Mick has been released back into the wild – to a secret location. We are so enamoured with these cute creatures that we adopted Parkwood Lili who has also been released back into the wild and will get the usual updates about her on our return, a little gift that keeps on giving after we get back.

The rain started in the afternoon and made the drive a bit of a challenge. I don’t know why but it feels harder driving northwards than it has driving west in the USA and south in NZ, it must be in my mind. We stopped off for a picnic lunch in the van and had to giggle at all the others who had to run to the covered picnic tables and get soaked, how superior we feel!!!



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *