BootsnAll Travel Network



Lo Güell – “Green Retreats”

Welcome to Lo Güell, or Green Retreats as the owners and our hosts – Rob and Asha – call it. And a green retreat it is, we’re on a valley in a mountainside of Mount Canigou with our closest neighbors a 15 minute walk straight uphill or straight downhill. Rob and Asha, along with their two teenage girls (Felicia, 13, and Serena, 16) have gone away to visit family in England and we’ve been called in to keep an eye on their house, water their gardens and feed and love their cocker spaniel Ellie. Our living space and the overall feel of this location is decidedly different from La Fargassa in most every way. Since we’re quite nestled in a cove halfway up the mountain the greenery is very close and one has to walk a bit to different locations for vantage points and different views that give you a better feeling of space. Sometimes it’s easy to forget you’re on a mountain at all as it’s quite woodsy.

These are pictures we took on a trail that we ended up walking on almost every other day. It leads thirty minutes uphill and ends in beautiful sweeping mountain views on the grounds of an ashram which coincidentally is being watched by friends of Madhu’s, and now our friends too, Moksa and Bhakti. In the picture below you can see a large tube running along side the path (which is actually a very old and well-built aquaduct wall). This tube runs about 900 meters from the Riu Ferrer in the second picture all the way down to their house and creates their micro-hydro power system which provides them with all the electricity they’ll ever need.

trail.jpg

river.jpg

Back at our cabin we’re seeing the greenery from a different vantage point, a more rustic one indeed. Rob and Asha are in the middle of rebuilding the two large ruins on their land: one for their family and the other to rent out as a vacation cottage…hence Green Retreats. Both ruins are in various phases of the fixing up process and the one we’re staying in has more than just a few doors that need to be hung before it’s properly liveable but it’s coming along. We spend our nights here but it gets dark quickly inside the house and so we spend as much time outside as possible.

constructionzone.jpg

We also enjoy access to the common room which is in the first floor of the main house. Going up from there the girls’ bedrooms are on the second floor and the third floor holds the family’s quarters, kitchen, living room, etc. But for us this common room is quite important as it has the bathroom and the wood stove, two very very necessary items for rustic living.

commonroom.jpg

mainroom.jpg

Close by to us, and also on the hike up to the ashram, we have the ruins of an enormous iron foundry circa late 1700s. Canigou has large iron deposits and is riddled with ancient and abandoned mines, some only as recently as the 1990s, while some date back from the Roman occupation. It’s dangerous to be on the mountain during a thunderstorm and livestock are killed every year by lighting strikes. Huge and abandoned, this one sits alone in the middle of the woods along the Riu Ferrer (latin: fer = iron) and is greatly impressive when you just happen to come upon it, as we did.

pict1920.jpg

At one point it must have been a hub of activity, and the two large buildings seem to have been at least three or four stories high. There were several outhouses too that must have been used for materials and such. All in all it was a beautiful and somewhat haunting tribute to capitalism that was..and then wasn’t.ruin.jpg

We’ve mentioned the hike up to the ashram and how beautiful it is, but the best part is actually getting there. The first time we got to the top and were finally able to look out and get perspective on where we were, how high up we were and how vast the surrounding area was it was breathtaking! This is one of the views from the ashram, one of many many vast and lovely views.
christineashram.jpg

We’ve been blessed with this solitary location and time for ourselves which, as Moksa pointed out, is really rare and special in this day and age. Lo Güell is situated in the Riu Ferrer valley, a tributary of the river Tech which runs through Arles-Sur-Tech and then Amelie-Les-Bains just downstream. Being in the valley means we’re surrounded by ridges on all sides. Here as well we have a 30+ minute hike up to reach the nearest unobscured view, which happens to be at the ashram, Terre de Sacha, where our newfound friends Moksa and Bhakti reside for the time being. This place has been quite a solace for us as a spiritual center for our yoga and mantra meditations as well as a place for great food and wonderful company. Moksa and Bhakti are both excellent cooks and have graciously hosted us for mid-day meals whenever we’ve ventured up the trail. On this particular day Moksa has just gotten back from mushroom picking and the frying pan you see in the picture is filled with deee-licious fresh mushrooms, the likes of which you would pay dearly for in a restaurant and they wouldn’t be half as good. Perhaps you can tell how excited I am?lunchashram.jpg

So the ashram is where we find ourselves spending quite a bit of time. The beautiful grounds, stunning views, and an inviting satsangh (complete with a meditation cave) have added a most welcome dimension of mental and spiritual decompression. And so we’ve made great use of this neighborly refuge, weather permitting, during our week of free time and the excercise has been great. On the rainy days down at Lo Güell when we can’t make the steep climb up we take refuge in some great books, most importantly Eckhart Tolle’s A New Earth.

Recommended by Rob after discussing our motivations for travelling abroad, this book, A New Earth, was also chosen by Oprah for her book club (we only learned this from an article in the NY Times’ Intl. Herald Tribune we bought in Arles – this is the only decent news in English available here and it’s not cheap €2.50 so it’s a special treat for us and we read the whole thing !) Primarily, the book explains how to awaken yourself from and ego-based life concerned with material forms, into a state of Present consciousness. There are many scriptural references as this concept is what Jesus and other prophets were trying to explain. This book was a great reinforcement for the kind of journey we wish to experience. That is, one that is as richly spiritual as it is sensory and culturally educational. We are doing this to create awareness within ourselves in as many ways as the Universe will allow. Needless to say, the book and the free time with which to read it and reflect upon it is a wonderful affirmation and we are grateful to Rob and Asha for this experience. And so we add A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle to our recommended reading list.

Lo Güell wouldn’t normally be without electricity except that a part of their mico-hydro power system had been sent off for repairs. While Rob was here, he was able to switch the system between charging and then running off the battery supply. As he left, we were somewhat surprised he wouldn’t show us how to do that, and instead said that we would be without electricity, but we took this in stride – it’s been a real blessing to have a more natural cycle of existence – although the hot shower at the ashram was really appreciated! (The Green Retreats solar shower wasn’t quite “working” with all the clouds)

The evenings here in the dark lent themselves well to reading or playing chess by candlelight (the fact that I still haven’t beaten Jon once at chess I think is due mainly to not being able to see properly).

darkchess.jpg

After nightfall, when the birds are asleep the only sound in the distant roar of the raging river some 60 meters (180 ft.) in the canyon below. Dawn breaks and we are silently grateful to have natural light again.

When our two weeks were up we were offered a ride down the mountain from our friends at the ashram and so we happily snuggled into the back of their small mini-van and rode the thirty minutes bumping along and trying to keep our minds off our rolling tummys.

carleaving.jpg

We were happily welcomed back to La Fargassa by Madhu and crew and immediately fell into the rhythm we’d gotten so used to. But not before Moksa and Bhakti found another great mushroom spot right at La Fargassa. Check out the size of that thing!

mushroom.jpg

Our two weeks at Lo Güell were quiet, reflective, solitary, sometimes lonely but always educational. We’re really happy to have had the unique experience and we’re also very happy to be back at La Fargassa with the warm water and the community spirit.

We’ll post more soon about some great day trips we had while we were at Lo Güell!

And here is the address of the ashram where we ended up spending so much time if you’d like to read more about it. http://www.shantimayi.com/ashram/terre_de_sacha.html

Much love and thanks for keeping in touch, We REALLY LOVE reading your comments – they mean quite a lot to us!

Tags: ,



373 Responses to “Lo Güell – “Green Retreats””

  1. home security systems reviews Says:

    What as up Jackson, if you are a new net user after that you must visit every day this website and read the updated articles or reviews at at this place.

  2. whole house water filter reviews Says:

    Wow, great article.Thanks Again. Really Cool.

  3. Homepage Says:

    … [Trackback]

    […] Read More here: blogs.bootsnall.com/seeingspain/lo-guell-green-retreats.html […]

  4. מיזוג אוויר Says:

    … [Trackback]

    […] Find More on|Find More|Find More Infos here|Here you can find 67567 additional Infos|Informations on that Topic: blogs.bootsnall.com/seeingspain/lo-guell-green-retreats.html […]

  5. http://www.vuxensaker.se/sexleksaker Says:

    … [Trackback]

    […] Find More here|Find More|Read More Infos here|There you can find 69488 additional Infos|Informations on that Topic: blogs.bootsnall.com/seeingspain/lo-guell-green-retreats.html […]

  6. Corporate Event Managers in Hyderabad Says:

    … [Trackback]

    […] Read More here|Read More|Find More Informations here|Here you can find 71304 more Informations|Infos on that Topic: blogs.bootsnall.com/seeingspain/lo-guell-green-retreats.html […]

  7. pengumuman cpns Says:

    … [Trackback]

    […] Read More on|Read More|Find More Infos here|There you will find 24662 additional Infos|Informations to that Topic: blogs.bootsnall.com/seeingspain/lo-guell-green-retreats.html […]

  8. sterling heights pediatric chiropractor Says:

    … [Trackback]

    […] Find More on|Find More|Find More Informations here|There you can find 39643 additional Informations|Informations to that Topic: blogs.bootsnall.com/seeingspain/lo-guell-green-retreats.html […]

  9. roofing contractor Says:

    … [Trackback]

    […] Find More here|Find More|Read More Informations here|There you will find 25388 additional Informations|Informations to that Topic: blogs.bootsnall.com/seeingspain/lo-guell-green-retreats.html […]

  10. Read Full Report Says:

    … [Trackback]

    […] Read More on|Read More|Find More Infos here|Here you will find 82259 additional Infos|Infos on that Topic: blogs.bootsnall.com/seeingspain/lo-guell-green-retreats.html […]

  11. These Feet Can Take Us Anywhere Says:

    Drink your delicious beverages in luxury style

    I found a great…

  12. These Feet Can Take Us Anywhere Says:

    Lorina Frohlich

    I found a great…

  13. xebetPet Says:

    The talent to initiate an online casino on a smartphone makes the gaming process more untroubled and does not cord the better to a stationary computer, and remarkable PC programs get ready for a closed Internet connection. Gamblers are exhilarated to privilege consumption such software to access gambling diversion, so operators offer them functional applications instead of smartphones and PCs. On this time we have at ease the best casino apps after Android with a physical boodle game.
    Many operators put forward free download of online casinos in behalf of Android 1 x bet with a view legal money with withdrawal to electronic wallets or bank cards. Animated casinos are being developed in compensation the convenience of customers and attracting a larger audience. Such applications include a covey of undeniable advantages:

    Access to the casino from anywhere where there is Wi-Fi or unstationary Internet. At the unchanging ease, applications do not establish up much lacuna in the widget’s memory.
    The functionality corresponds to the desktop conception of the resource: you can activate bonuses, participate in tournaments, well provided your account, fake slot machines in search legal tender in the pertinence with the withdrawal of winnings, etc.
    End-to-end registration. There is no miss to additionally listing from your phone if you acquire an active account.
    Untie demos. Gamblers can launch any video opening or meals spirited in a freed grief mode.
    The on the contrary impediment of the side adapted object of pocket devices may be the non-appearance of some titles in the presented collection. The mobile application of an online casino with slot machines for playing to save filthy lucre gives access barely to slots in HTML5 format, but so clearly not all providers be enduring redesigned their portfolios in accordance with this requirement. Degree, the largest manufacturers have been producing niche machines for the benefit of several years entrancing into account additional standards and remaking dilapidated titles recompense them, which are notably popular total gamblers.

    Moreover, providers settle into account the features of portable devices when creating games. A unusual interface and odd modes of utilize are being developed for them. After pattern, Wazdan offers a special attraction that increases the battery economy of the device by way of 40%, and Ultra Lite technology, which preserves the simile je sais quoi and download speed with a past it Internet connection. Opening machines on the phone play a joke on no more than a start button and a punt au fait with control.

    The gaming interface on a matter-of-fact camouflage is slight modified compared to the desktop manifestation, so it is quite at one’s fingertips to compete with in the casino application for long green from your phone, manage slots and groove machines. The main menu is occult in drop-down windows, and links to the fundamental sections are immobilized at the cut off or rump of the screen. Also, the online converse appeal to c visit cancel button in the interest of contacting technical hold up specialists is each in sight.

    Since the Google Misuse and AppStore digital dispersal services inflict tough restrictions on gambling programs, you can download the casino application to your phone after playing material wherewithal from the verified website. To download, you will necessary a link to the apk queue and the purchaser’s permission to inaugurate and run the program. Sometimes operators delivery detailed connection instructions on the page with a element, and if there are difficulties, the fellow can each time consult with the customer service.

    Some licensed casinos also provide clients programs for adverse computers and laptops. You can Apk Casino them from the certified website. Such software is popular apt to speedy uninterrupted access to games from the desktop without using a browser.

  14. 3judicial Says:

    3handicap

  15. nipples gay chat Says:

    gay chat men’s room https://bjsgaychatroom.info/

  16. whats the best sith for findina a gay dating site Says:

    gay dating in little rock https://gaypridee.com/

  17. dick.net gay chat Says:

    gay boy teen webcam chat https://gaytgpost.com/

  18. boomerang gay chat Says:

    chat wed gay gratis https://gay-buddies.com/

  19. free netbet slots Says:

    sim slots free games https://2-free-slots.com/

  20. slots jackpot casino Says:

    d

  21. king kong slots Says:

    cashman casino slots free https://candylandslotmachine.com/

  22. heart of vegas slots Says:

    sexy girl slots https://pennyslotmachines.org/

  23. top dollar slots in vegas Says:

    slots garden https://slotmachinesworld.com/

Leave a Reply