BootsnAll Travel Network



A Day Trip to Corsavy

During our time at Lo Güell it mostly rained buckets. But one beautiful Saturday we saw few clouds and decided to enjoy a mostly sunny day by walking up the mountain to the small village of Corsavy, less than an hours walk up the only road around. High in the Eastern Pyrenees, Corsavy is a quaint, tranquil and historic village on top of a ridge offering great views of the Tech valley, fresh mountain air and, as we would soon discover, a hidden treasure of an amazingly beautiful church.
corsavy.jpg

overview.jpg

On February 2, 1428, there was a catastrophic earthquake that damaged the entire region of Catalunya and left hundreds dead. The church in the village was badly damaged to the point that its stones were used to rebuild the surrounding houses. The church was rebuilt around 1621, with a date over the door reading 1775. Most of the village was built during the 16th and 17th centuries. Some of the houses in the village have dates carved on the lintel reading from 1730 – 1793 but they are probably older.

Over the years the population of Corsavy has changed dramatically:

in 1370: population 37

in 1732: population 71

in 1846: population 1007

in 1954: population 327

in 2000: population 250

The high population density coincided with the periods when the iron forges of Vallespir were in full use. Vallespir is the name of the region from Ceret through the Tech valley following the Tech upstream to the Spanish border. Iron has been mined in Vallespir for two thousand years and most of the iron came from the mines at Batère, above Corsavy.

As in all mountain villages modern life has drastically reduced employment opportunities and the young increasingly make their way to nearby cities. Already by 1980 there were few miners at Batère and many of the farms were deserted. The construction of Les Chantevents, a home for deprived or abandoned children, brought in some local employment. The mines closed in 1987 and the post office closed in 2005. What’s left is a very quiet and beautiful community of people living simple lives in simple homes decorated massively with loads of aromatic plants and flowers that grow so well in the temperate climate.

gardenhouse.jpg

On the day that Jon and I walked up the sun was shining and a light breeze scented the air with cherry blossoms and abundant roses. I made a flower garland for my hair and we stopped and enjoyed a coffee at the town’s only cafe.

christinecoffee.jpg

We had heard a rumor that there was a church in town and that the key could be obtained from the small shop/restaurant across the square. Jon went in, inquired about the key and also used the opportunity to purchased our staples : chocolate and garlic. Jon came out bearing an ancient key, the largest key I have ever seen. It dwarfed his hand and was about the size of his forearm, presumably they don’t have a lot of trouble misplacing it.

jondooropen.jpg

jondoorbig.jpg

After maneuvering the large key through the giant lock we entered and were immediately taken aback by the ornate interior beauty held within the non-descript exterior façade. The small church had only blue stained glass windows and the statues and walls were all different shades of indigo lending a feeling to the entire interior of quiet coolness. We were alone in silence and felt awed to be in that space, it was very special.

jonchurch.jpg

We went up to the choir loft as well, which is where I took the above picture from. It was so special to be awash in blue – it was quite mesmerizing.

chrisitnechurch.jpg

After returning the key we strolled through the narrow lanes noting the buildings which were still in use since before the United States was born. We nibbled on fresh cherries from the tree under which we waited out a brief shower before stopping by the cemetery on our way home.

backview.jpg

The cemetery in Corsavy wasn’t very ancient for as historic a town we were in, so perhaps there was another cemetery outside the village. On another day, however, we walked down the mountain to Arles Sur Tech and spent a pleasant day exploring it. While it wasn’t as picturesque as Corsavy it did have a stellar cemetery and so we wanted to share a few of the pictures from that day. It was overcast and had been raining hard all morning, but there was a break in the afternoon for us to do some exploring. You can see the clouds rolling in for some more rain which was to come soon, and in full force.

joncemetary.jpg

cemetarycloud.jpg

And so for now Jon and I are still happily at La Fargassa awaiting a ride that will soon come to take us to Holland. We aim to be leaving around the first week in July so that we can be there to meet up with our friends Gillian and Theresa in Amsterdam and then head to the Southeast of Holland to meet up with Kim and Wim!

Tags: , ,



57 Responses to “A Day Trip to Corsavy”

  1. Maskulin Says:

    Hands down, Apple’s app store wins by a mile. It’s a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has plans, especially in the realm of games, but I’m not sure I’d want to bet on the future if this aspect is important to you. The iPod is a much better choice in that case.

  2. House & Home Improvement Says:

    Nice blog here! Also your website loads up fast! What host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your host? I wish my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

  3. House & Home Improvement Says:

    I do consider all of the concepts you have introduced on your post. They’re very convincing and will definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are very brief for newbies. Could you please extend them a bit from next time? Thank you for the post.

  4. Woman Says:

    I am continually searching online for tips that can assist me. Thx!

  5. House & Home Improvement Says:

    We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your website provided us with valuable information to work on. You’ve done an impressive job and our entire community will be grateful to you.

  6. House & Home Improvement Says:

    I simply wanted to post a simple remark to be able to say thanks to you for all of the stunning tactics you are placing on this site. My extensive internet lookup has at the end of the day been paid with useful facts to exchange with my classmates and friends. I ‘d express that many of us site visitors actually are undoubtedly fortunate to be in a fantastic site with many perfect individuals with interesting opinions. I feel very much privileged to have used your website page and look forward to many more enjoyable times reading here. Thanks a lot once more for everything.

  7. Business Says:

    Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it is truly informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I’ll be grateful if you continue this in future. Lots of people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

Leave a Reply