BootsnAll Travel Network



Chitimba Beach Camp

PZmR20gwby0cg19rXgklIw-2006197131657399.gif

When we pull into the camp compound there are three trucks aready there-drifters.com, ontheaway.com, and Africa.overland.com written in huge letters across the sides.The camp bars in Africa are open-air like they usually are in tropical countries. The camps are more like resorts without all the expensive amenities and they don’t really have a “bar” feel.

The bartender, from the UK, was an overlander driver for two years, has owned the bar four years-and has had recurring Malaria countless times. In anticipation of the worst, Bob asks him many questions about Malaria.

Half a dozen burly middle aged men are already at the bar when I go up to ask for a plug-in to recharge the computer and the camera. I ask if they are independent travelers-no-they say they are building the road. I say oh, you are responsible for our horrendous ride into the Camp! They laugh. They are here for the girls on the trucks, the bartender says later.

One British guy born in Burma is married to a Tanzanian and another from the UK is scared of AIDS after having hundreds of prostitutes, he says, so he hooked up with a woman from Ghana about a year ago-his wife of 31 years at home. I ask if there are many expats in the area. There are several doctors and some Peace Corps volunteers; they say they have been told by the volunteers that most of them will go to work for the CIA when they are finished with their two years which surprises the heck out of me.

Each truck gives the bar a list of clients and we just put everything “on the tab” and pay before we take off in the morning as we do at all the camps.



Tags: , , ,

Comments are closed.