BootsnAll Travel Network



Days 41-42: Exfoliating

We had written off Fraser Island – not easy for go-it-alone type folks in our budget range, no four-wheel drive experience, and so it would cost a bit. But to a person, everyone we met said it had to be done. They all said it is the top site on the East coast of Australia and that it was like nowhere else in the world. With recommendations like that, we forked over the cash and booked a two day tour.

Fraser Island is the world’s largest sand island at 120km in length. The vegetaion varied from lush tropical rainforest to barren sanddunes to crystal clear lakes.

We rode around on a four wheel drive bad ass tour bus with 20 other people. We spent two days being driven around the island, complete with witty commentary. “If you did try this [wild] fruit, you would have 20 minutes to live out your wildest fantasies before you die.”

We stumbled across this 2-3 foot goanna (lace monitor) before he made a break for the tree. This was after he tried to untie Kelly’s shoelaces. 😉
monitor.jpg

The beach was the main highway for getting around the island and it doubled as a landing strip. Sunbathers beware!
landingstrip.jpg

Storm’s a brewing up at Indian Heads (those crazy Europeans were always finding Indians in places other than India).
indianhead.jpg

The morning of the second day the two of us went hunting for dingos and found this cute one hanging out at the beach.
dingo2.jpg

He came to check us out – wanted to make sure Marcus wasn’t a competing male since it’s mating season.
dingo1.jpg

Crossed some sand dunes to get to the emerald green Lake Wabby. Had a nice swim with some friendly catfish.
wabby.jpg

Kelly of Arabia.
keldune.jpg

On the way to lunch the bus got a flat tyre and Marcus helped out. This was ironic because the day before we watched do-it-yourselfers get stuck and Marcus commented, “I’m glad we went on a tour.”
tirechange.jpg

Impressive white Eucalyptus trees.
white_eucs.jpg

We then went to beautiful white sand Lake Birrabeen for a do it yourself spa treatment.
birrabeen.jpg

We rubbed the fine white sand all over our bodies to exfoliate and rejuvenate our skin and rinsed off in the mineral waters of the lake. We don’t look a day over 21!
km_birrabeen.jpg

Of course, for the next two days we continued to find white sand everywhere.

Take only pictures…
prints.jpg



Tags:

6 Responses to “Days 41-42: Exfoliating”

  1. ZCooke/Mom Says:

    You almost want to adopt that poor dingo!

    But with a name like Dingo – maybe not.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Mom Says:

    WOW! Footprints are awesome! So glad you actually went to Fraser Island – and took the tour! Loved the dingo – wasn’t he in the wrong place though if it’s mating season….

    BTW you guys never look a day over 21!!! (Or maybe that should be 31 🙂 )

    Many hugs xoxo

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. K&M Says:

    Don’t worry about that dingo. They are naturally lean dogs; like greyhounds.

    That dingo was in the right place cuz all the hot girl dingos hang out at the beach sunning themselves. 🙂

  6. Posted from Australia Australia
  7. -Bob- Says:

    Great Looking Place, How did you find a pair of foot prints next to each other like that?

    So, after being to Fraiser Island, what do you think, did it had to be done?

    Praying for you.

  8. Posted from United States United States
  9. Ol' Swell Dad Says:

    What happened to that swell head of hair you were workin’ on Wally?

  10. Posted from United States United States
  11. Kelly Says:

    Did Fraser Island have to be done – probably not, but it was pretty neat.

    Those footprints appeared like magic 😉

    As for Marcus’ hair – the dingo ate it!

  12. Posted from Australia Australia