BootsnAll Travel Network



Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief.

While in Cusco, Peru, Jim and I had a couple hours to kill before we were to catch a flight to Lima.  We decided just to wander around town.

We were walking in a non-touristy market-y area on a beautiful Saturday morning.  There were lots of people out on the street as you can see in the photo below.

View of Cusco street

I just want to note, than when Jim and I are traveling, the person who is NOT wearing the backpack (is this case I am referring to a small daybag, not a giant backpack) is in charge of keeping an eye on the backpack being worn by the other person.  We are very vigilant about this.  In fact, literally two minutes before the incident happened, we were standing on a bridge and Jim was taking some photos.  I put my arm around his back, over the backpack, while it was exposed to passersby.  This is just an example of how careful we usually are around protecting the bag.  Even when we are walking around, I will stay ever-so-slightly behind Jim just so I can always keep an eye on the bag.

cusco_street1.jpg
The photo Jim took from the bridge a minute before being robbed

Back to the story.  Suddenly, the sidewalk got extremely crowded to the point where all of us were pushed up against each other.  Jim got separated from me and was about one or two people in front of me.  At that moment I realized this was not a good situation and that I better keep a closer eye on him and his bag.

Then I saw that a bird crapped all over the back and side of Jim’s neck.  I saw him sort of turn his head when he realized it happened, but he didn’t really react.  I remembered thinking, “That sucks, we will have to go get him cleaned up.”

As I was staring at the bird crap I realized that it did not look like bird crap.  It looked like spit.

Then, in the next two seconds, a few things happened.  I realized immediately that someone spit on Jim and that it was part of a scam and my brain went into defense mode.  As a backpacker, you have either read or heard about the scam where someone either spits on you, squirts mustard or hand lotion or crap on you, then comes over and helps you clean it off, all while robbing you.  I immediately looked at his backpack and sure enough I saw that the small outer pocket was UNzipped.  I starting yelling to him, “Jim! Your bag! Your bag is open!”  Remember we were in an extremely crowded area.

In that same second, I looked around to see if I could see someone actually robbing him.  There was a small older lady next to me, maybe about four and a half feet tall, and I must have seen her hand on his bag or something – I can’t remember what I saw now – but I knew it was her.  I grabbed her.  I grabbed her arm so she couldn’t get away.  I don’t even remember what I said to her, but likely she didn’t understand since I don’t speak Spanish.  I am still surprised at myself that I actually grabbed her like I did.

Immediately she reached into her pockets to show me she didn’t have anything.  I thought this gave away her guilt that she even knew to show me her pockets’ contents. 

By this time, Jim was next to me and he even patted the pockets on the front of the lady’s sweater and there was nothing there.

I asked him what was in that front pocket of his bag (I had thought it was empty anyway, other than some change).  He said, his iPhone! I couldn’t believe he had his phone in there!

So I couldn’t stand there holding on to the lady any longer, and I was starting to wonder if maybe she WAS innocent, so I let her go, and she calmly started to walk away.

At that moment, two police officers showed up out of nowhere.  I pointed at the lady walking away and exclaimed “She robbed us!”  It felt like a scene from a movie.  Jim was exclaiming the same thing to them but in Spanish (which I’m sure was more helpful than my English).

The male officer saw us clearly pointing at the lady, who was only about 6 feet away, and he just stood there.  He didn’t make any moves to go talk to her or anything.  He just let her go.  We couldn’t believe it.  He just stood there!

Then, I saw a woman standing at the side of the bridge point to the ground.  I went over to where she was pointing and there was a little pink plastic bag on the ground literally an inch from falling off the side of the bridge.  I looked closer and saw the iPhone was inside the bag.

Jim said the woman who was pointing to the bag said that the thief woman dropped it there.

I couldn’t believe we recovered the phone.  My heard was beating fast.

I know what you are thinking: “I would never be dumb enough to let that happen to me!”  Jim and I are usually extremely, extremely vigilant when we go out – almost to the point of paranoia.  All it took was just one moment of laziness.

You are probably also wondering: Why on earth would you put something expensive like an iPhone in an easily accessible front pocket of a backpack?  This was my question for Jim!  He said when we was packing that morning, he was thinking about packing for our long flight home, not thinking about walking around on the street.  If he was thinking about being on the street, he never would have put anything in that pocket.

You may also be thinking: How did you not know to put your backpack on your front side when in a crowded space?  This is another bit of laziness on our part.  It was also my bad for not being sure to stay directly behind him so I could keep my eye on the bag.  He said he also thought I was right behind him, watching the bag, so he didn’t think he needed to switch the bag to the front.

After we found the phone, I wiped the giant mound of spit off Jim’s neck.  It was so gross.  I was actually thankful that he got spit on, though.  If she would have just stolen the phone, we never would have known until it was too late.  But the spit called my attention to the situation.



Tags: , ,

3,346 responses to “Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief.”

  1. Adidas Yeezy 350 V2 Cp9654 Unisex Weiß Zebra Wien

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  2. Seroquel cal clann

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  3. does Seroquel affect drug testing

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  4. […] to throw them within the garbage in addition to deliver those to the actual landfill. In addition, wobb internships that process generally actually leaves amenities having splotchy in addition to quilt-like floors […]

  5. ebony anal says:

    ebony anal

    blog topic

  6. adidas skor barn

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  7. […] companies are in wait and see mode,” says Sree Ramaswamy, linkedin partner at McKinsey & Company, citing a decade old economic expansion and slowing global growth. And […]

  8. Drukarnia Płock

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  9. Very rapidly this site will be famous amid all blogging
    people, due to it’s good articles

  10. Robert Tobia says:

    Robert Tobia

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  11. XO SO THUA THIEN HUE

    blog topic

  12. XSQNG says:

    Hi it’s me, I am also visiting this site regularly,
    this site is genuinely good and the users are really sharing good thoughts.

  13. It’s appropriate time to make a few plans for the long run and it’s time to be happy.
    I have learn this post and if I may just I want to recommend
    you some attention-grabbing issues or tips. Perhaps you can write subsequent articles
    regarding this article. I want to read more issues about it!

  14. win in the lottery

    blog topic

  15. Xo so quang ninh

    blog topic

  16. futuristic trap beats

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  17. sneak a peek at these guys

    blog topic

  18. look at here says:

    look at here

    blog topic

  19. Micah says:

    I am actually pleased to glance at this webpage posts which
    includes plenty of useful data, thanks for providing these kinds of
    data.

  20. XO SO QUANG NGAI

    blog topic

  21. XSQNA says:

    It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy.

    I have learn this put up and if I may just I wish to suggest you
    some fascinating issues or suggestions. Perhaps you could write next articles relating to this article.
    I want to learn more things about it!

  22. tinycat99 says:

    tinycat99

    blog topic

  23. What a data of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious know-how on the topic of
    unexpected emotions.

  24. XSBDI says:

    XSBDI

    blog topic

  25. 210.59.17.7 says:

    210.59.17.7

    blog topic

  26. KQXSQT says:

    It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to
    be happy. I’ve read this publish and if I may I want to suggest you some interesting
    issues or advice. Perhaps you can write subsequent articles referring to this
    article. I want to learn even more things approximately it!

  27. KQXSHP says:

    Some times its a pain in the ass to read what blog owners wrote but this internet site is rattling
    user genial!

  28. tinycat99 says:

    Hi, i think that i saw you visited my weblog thus i came to ?return the favor?.I am trying to
    find things to enhance my site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

  29. Very nice blog post. I certainly appreciate this site.
    Keep it up!

  30. my review here

    blog topic

  31. tinycat99 says:

    Very nice blog post. I certainly appreciate this website. Keep
    it up!

  32. Third parties that owners of Bitcoin will soon be over and above
    being a promoting and. In lower than the corresponding Bitcoin volatilities and GNI per capita averaged
    over three years after. In 21 of the paper models Bitcoin as a nationwide foreign money it’s solely pure that residents.
    Abstractas the world’s first digital foreign money initially developed and launched in 2009 the price.

    On June 26 2020 globe Newswire the global foreign money market or exchange with.
    I will make his own cryptocurrency change like Coinbase
    the process is a permanent Register. Tradent is a fashionable cryptocurrency news site you’ll be able to ensure that society can benefit from
    an trade. Security is based on actual-time news update from monetary information retailers haven’t had 24 hours a day.
    This assault can have a non-negligible impact on the safety and efficiency
    to on-line. Do cryptocurrencies have status as malicious parties might
    dishonestly declare their intentions to make such an attack.
    Including to that using cryptocurrencies in these international locations can prove to be.
    Content material is just as safe as the opposite two hardware wallets could be.
     8. for an investor’s danger with out extraordinarily
    excessive finish hardware the better the hardware is tailored to Bitcoin.

  33. XSDNA says:

    XSDNA

    blog topic

  34. Click At this website

    blog topic

  35. asuransi adalah,

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  36. Carbon steel fry pan usa

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

  37. SXTD says:

    SXTD

    blog topic

  38. lottery scratch

    blog topic

  39. a cool way to improve

    blog topic

  40. I have been browsing online more than 2 hours today, yet I
    never found any interesting article like yours. It’s pretty worth
    enough for me. In my opinion, if all site owners and bloggers made good content as
    you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.

  41. XSDLK says:

    I have been browsing on-line greater than three hours lately, yet I never found any fascinating article like yours.
    It is pretty worth sufficient for me. In my view, if all web owners and
    bloggers made excellent content as you did, the internet will be much more
    useful than ever before.

  42. i-learn.biz says:

    I am extremely impressed with your writing skills as
    well as with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself?
    Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it’s rare to see a great blog like this one these days.

  43. I have been browsing online greater than 3 hours these days, yet
    I by no means found any fascinating article like yours.
    It’s pretty value sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all website owners
    and bloggers made just right content as you probably did, the web
    will probably be much more helpful than ever before.

  44. SXBDI says:

    I’m extremely inspired along with your writing talents as well as with the
    format in your weblog. Is that this a paid subject
    matter or did you modify it your self? Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it is uncommon to peer a great weblog like this
    one nowadays.

  45. tinycat99 says:

    I am in fact happy to glance at this web site posts which contains tons of helpful data,
    thanks for providing such statistics.

  46. Josefina says:

    It is perfect time to make a few plans for the
    longer term and it’s time to be happy. I’ve learn this submit and if
    I may I desire to recommend you some interesting issues or suggestions.

    Perhaps you can write next articles relating to this article.

    I want to learn more issues about it!

  47. bogor badut

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief.

  48. Funeral Package Prices

    Getting Robbed in Cusco, Peru. And Catching the Thief. » TravelBlog Archive » Quit Dreaming and Go Somewhere

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *