BootsnAll Travel Network



Novena Noche in La Esperanza

The other night, I got invited to a Novena with the family I live with.

A Novena is something Catholics do, for a person who has passed away. Here, the tradition is that the Novena take place exactly one year after the person´s death. A year ago, one of the brothers in the family passed away, quite young, of cancer. So a Novena was held for nine days for him in his house, with the family and friends in attendence.

It was quite an honor to be invited along, so of course I said yes, although I was a little bit worried, as neither of my teachers were going to be there-so I was going to have to manage with just my Spanish! We all piled into the car, and off we went to the brother´s house.
When we arrived, I noticed two things immediately: one, there were only women there; and two, the room we were all supposed to fit into was tiny. I mean, like really small, doll size. i felt enormous, and sort of felt like Alice in Alice in Wonderland-the doorway way so small, and there were like 30 women crammed in this tiny room, all looking at the gringa in wonder.

Someone showed me to a plastic chair, and there I sat, looking around, observing the scene. There were women of all ages there, in slightly formal dress. Everyone was very sweet and nodding my direction-there was some concern whether or not I was a Catholic- and after it was discovered I was, things relaxed. All the chairs faced a shrine,with a big painting of Jesus; photos of the deceased; candles; and flowers. There was sort of a white tent over the whole thing, and the closest family members sat near this tent area in the front.

Music was passed around, and after much talking and pleasantries, the women all begaan to sing. It was really beautiful, and i thought it especially so because it was just all these women singing sweetly in this tiny room, lit by candles.

The main part of the Novena is to pray for the deceased person´s soul. This is done using traditional Catholic prayers and of course, the rosary. For those of you not familiar with the rosary, it is basically a series of prayers and pleas for assistance to Mary. It is always the same for a Novena. The rosary was completely in Spanish, and I tried to keep up, but someone had thrust a toddler on my lap, and she was entertaining herself by putting my rosary in her mouth-so at a certain point, I just kept count of the beads in my head.

The Novena was very difficult for the family members, as the man had died quite young and left a wife and two children behind. But everyone kept their focus on their part of the Novena(it was decided beforehand which person would read which part) and so it went smoothly.

After the Novena was finished, the food was brought out. For Novenas, there are special foods prepared that are only for similiar occassions. For this particular night, they prepared coffee and a sort of deep fried tamale, filled with sugar and black beans. It was very rich and very sweet. Everyone was given quite alot of food, but hardly anyone ate much while there-napkins and containers accompanied the sweets, and pretty much everyone packed up their food to take home for the kids and the husbands.

I really enjoyed the experience-I felt like I got a glimpse of something, a part of the life here, that I would never get normally. it made me really happy that I had decided to live with the family, and that they considered me family enough to include me in such a private event. (for those of you out there concerned with such things-they wanted me to write about it here!)

The other thing I really enjoyed was that I was at an event with only women. Such things are rare here-although I´ve been in kitchens while tortillas and tamales were being prepared and there were only women present-it´s different when it´s outside of the home, and a formal event. Apparently men do attend sometimes, but only the most immediate male family members.
I really enjoyed the women´s singing,devotion, and comraderie. It was a very fulfulling evening.

Next time I write..on Tuesday,,I´ll be writing about Dia Del Diable(Day of the Devil) which was last night. On this day, they have huge bonfires and burn all their trash, clean their houses, and the kids have more fireworks than I´ve seen in my entire life!

gigi



Tags:

115 responses to “Novena Noche in La Esperanza”

  1. lgbt says:

    The information talked about inside the post are a number of the most beneficial available

  2. just beneath, are several totally not related websites to ours, on the other hand, they are surely worth going over

  3. here are some links to websites that we link to mainly because we believe they may be really worth visiting

  4. Adina Wyles says:

    Currently it seems like WordPress is the top blogging platform available right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your blog?

  5. Every after inside a although we choose blogs that we read. Listed beneath are the newest web pages that we choose

  6. very couple of internet sites that transpire to become detailed below, from our point of view are undoubtedly effectively worth checking out

  7. Every as soon as inside a when we pick out blogs that we read. Listed below would be the most recent web pages that we pick out

  8. although sites we backlink to beneath are considerably not related to ours, we feel they are truly really worth a go as a result of, so possess a look

  9. below you’ll obtain the link to some sites that we consider you need to visit

  10. Charisse Illingworth

    I found a great…

  11. daz studio 3d models

    Novena Noche in La Esperanza » TravelBlog Archive » true life planet

  12. daz facegen says:

    daz facegen

    Novena Noche in La Esperanza » TravelBlog Archive » true life planet

  13. daz studio animation

    Novena Noche in La Esperanza » TravelBlog Archive » true life planet

  14. Top 2022 Allovers Trusting Dildo
    This top 2022 allovers thrusting toy sex toy is a great choice for couples looking to enjoy a fun night on the town. The toys have a tapered base that makes it easy to insert and six speed settings that allow for passionate thrusting. A heater is built into the dildo to provide warmth for the sweet spot. This device is portable and rechargeable.
    You can make dildos from different materials. They can vary in color and shape. To give them a more realistic look, some are made with different textures. You can have many functions such as clitoral vibrations or rabbit vibrators. You can control them by pressing buttons on the unit. You can load stimulation and adjust the speed to your liking.
    The Happy Rabbit is another popular thrusting toy. It is well-known for its firm and thick ears. The Happy Rabbit can also be recharged via USB and offers 15 vibration modes. It is not the most expensive toy on the marketplace. This model was designed by Lovehoney, a sex expert and it is more expensive than other models.
    It is important to consider your skin type when shopping for an allovers thrusting dildor. This dildo is waterproof and rechargeable, unlike regular ones. This toy’s vibrations are gentle, but strong. It is ideal for those with sensitive skin. This model is not recommended for anyone who wants the best thrusting experience.

  15. Larrynouck says:

    PBN sites
    We shall generate a structure of privately-owned blog network sites!

    Pros of our PBN network:

    We carry out everything so GOOGLE DOES NOT understand that this A PBN network!!!

    1- We purchase web domains from various registrars

    2- The primary site is hosted on a VPS hosting (VPS is rapid hosting)

    3- The remaining sites are on distinct hostings

    4- We assign a distinct Google ID to each site with confirmation in Search Console.

    5- We make websites on WordPress, we don’t employ plugins with assisted by which Trojans penetrate and through which pages on your websites are generated.

    6- We don’t reiterate templates and utilize only individual text and pictures

    We refrain from work with website design; the client, if wanted, can then edit the websites to suit his wishes

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *