BootsnAll Travel Network



Singapore day 1 part 2

Busy busy day eventually! I went for a walk round the area near my hotel and got back in time for the city tour bus to pick me up. We set off from coach park in a little mini bus that was thankfully air conditioned. Joyce our guide proceeded to guide us around. We started in Little India but Joyce obviously not that keen as she dashed us round -with our little red stickers on -saying we’d stop longer in Chinatown. She did allow some of our party to buy some Indian sweets. We proceeded to Chinatown, the area she was born in and we reminissed about what used to be there before the large financial institutions took over. We were allowed 20 mins here so i went in the Buddha temple. Large beautiful and gold. Nice knockers on the doors. Those of you who know me well know i have a thing about knockers of the world. I plan to do a talk on them in my dotage. We swiftly moved on to gemstone factory where the saleslady confirmed i was rich if i could travel. Not daft that woman! I ended up buying a lapiz bird – small and unidentifyable- but 40% off. She was pleased with me. And i was pleased with her and the bird. We then went to see the Merlion down by the marina. About the height of 3 tall men or very tall women, with the head of a lion and waist down a fish all in white – not marble but something white, spouting water into the marina. I bought an iced lolly there, mango and lychee. Joyce said if I was going on the boat trip later I had better not buy any lollies as you can’t take them on with you – luckily it was before that! We next went to the 1 Altitude Bar and Gallery where we could go up 63 floors to see a 360 degree view of Singapore. Joyce was getting friendly with me now and took my photograph up there. I think she warmed to me when i said I would join another couple on the tour and go on a river cruise – $20 or £10. Nice while it lasted but we only got about 25 mins instead of 40 as she told us it was. She had told them to see us off at the Fullerton hotel so that we could catch a metro back to our respective hotels. I thought she said she get us put off at Raffles. Anyway, all was was not lost. I started to wander about and came across a bus stop. Two lovely Asian gentlemen said i needed the No 57 to Beach Rd to get to Raffles Hotel for my Singapore Sling. $1.60. No change given so was $2. I asked him to tell me where to get off, yes he said. Next thing he shouts he should have set me off the stop before. Oh, I say, then you’ll have to turn the bus round – much hilarity on the bus but didn’t turn round! So sorry he said. Fine i said. By the time i got to Raffles I was glowing – that’s what ladies do isn’t it?! I proceeded up to the Long Bar where they let any riff raff in only to find there was a queue. No worries I am on holiday got all night. Not too long after, after a photo shoot with a cardboard man outside – the inventor of the ‘Sling’ Ngiam Tong Boon, a barman who invented the cocktail so that ladies could drink alchohol. Bravo is what I say! It was very nice and reasonably priced at nearly four times what i paid for my pizza on the way home! Now 11pm and tomorrow my last day in this hot steamy place. Do you know the govt here makes you save for a home as soon as you start work? Yes, you pay 22% of your wage and the employer 14%. By the time you want to leave home you have a deposit for your own home! If you buy one of govt places it is very reasonable if bought new but if you buy a second hand home it will have gone up as property here is expensive. Very few people live in the centre as out of reach in price.
That’s it for tonight. Hope i can get up in the morning!



Tags:

Leave a Reply