BootsnAll Travel Network



Back to beautiful Kaikoura Sun Mar 13th

No wifi last night in Rangitata so having a quick catchup. I am able to do this because my whale watching was cancelled due to no whales being around. Can only think it’s because it is Sunday and they are having a day off! We left beautiful Mt Cook as the sun rose on Mt Sefton and wound our way to Rangitata rafting place. Apparently they stepped in for Stray after the earthquake in 2011 demolished their accomadation in Christchurch. I wasn’t looking forward to it but the wooden chalet style building with it’s large deck was a little oasis! I needed this after a rather frustrating time in Geraldine where the ATM retained my card. I spent the stop phoning the Natwest to complain. I now only have my credit card so i have told them I will need compensation for all the extra cost of phoning UK for the third time during my trip and the charges I will incur on my credit card for withdrawing cash. Most of the hostels prefer cash. We drove alongside lake Tekapo and stopped in Tekapo town to see the old church of the good shepherd. Nat (short for Natalie) our new driver told us the tale of a man called McKenzie and his sheepdog Friday. He was a sheep rustler and was often put in jail but escaped. Friday would watch the sheep while he went off rustling. Eventually the courts got so fed up with him they told him he could go free if he left the country. He went to Australia apparently. Our next stop was the Big Tree Walk in Peel forest. I really enjoyed the lovely green forest and the ‘Totara’ redwoods were impressive. We arrived at Rangitata about 1.30pm and while a few went rafting most of us took the opportunity to sit out on the deck and rest. It was peaceful, quiet and sunny. Nat had bought food to do a gourmet bbq with apple crumble, custard and honeycomb ice-cream for pudding. Delish or ‘Sweet!’ as they say round here. It was a bit of of a shocker when she told us we were leaving at 6.40am in the morning so I had a shower, finished my bottle of wine and went to bed!
It was another glorious sunrise this morning as we set off for our first stop at Christchurch. Quite a few were either stopping off here or catching planes and a few joined us. Nat had to pick up a new bus so we were later than normal leaving the airport. She had all sorts of complications with people and had to stop several times to make phone calls. I finalised my itinery with Stray and booked at the YHA in Aukland for the 3 nights I will be going there. It was lovely to arrive in Kaikoura again and I was excited about going whale watching – but alas alack it was not to be! The compensation is that i have saved the money and i am staying in a private room at the lazy shag with an ensuite! Oh the luxury! Washing is done and now this so I will go to post my postcards and have an ice-cream. I also need to do a bit of shopping. Hard work all this!



Tags:

Leave a Reply