BootsnAll Travel Network



Siem Reap and Angkor Wat

Pnom Pehn ended up being a horrible last night as we found out our bed had bedbugs! So we didn’t sleep much and instead packed up our stuff and waited for the bus starting at 4:00 am. We are really hoping we didn’t bring any with us, but only time will tell. We got everything we could possibly wash done as soon as we got to Siem Reap!

We had planned to meet up with our Canadian friends Lindsay and Jeff when we got to Siem Reap and we found them right after we got here. We went out for dinner and drinks that night on Pub Street. The next morning we were up again at 4 am to get to Angkor Wat and see the sunrise over the temple. It was great! Angkor Wat is HUGE!! It is twice as tall as the london tower and the wall around it is 2 miles long and yet it only took 35 years for them to construct it! We spent the rest of the morning and part of the afternoon seeing several other towers. We all agree our favorites are Bayon, a temple with over 50 towers with faces on all of them, and Ta Prohm, the temple where tomb raider was filmed and it is being taken over by massive trees all over the place! Everyday after our temple viewing we come home to cool off and jump in the pool. This day we also needed a nap after being up so early! We had another dinner on Pub Street and Chelsy and I stayed out dancing and hanging out at the bars there.

The next day Chelsy and Lindsey and I headed off for the temples since Jeff had gotten sick. We saw a lot that were in ruins and cool ones, but after a bit of being sooo hot and seeing so many the excitement wears off. Last night we got the best foot massages ever for only $3 for an hour and we got to watch a video all about the building of Angkor Wat.

Today was our last day of temples and then a sunset on the mountain temple. We had a great time in Siem Reap and I loved Angkor Wat! It is really an amazing place and to sit at the top of some of these temples and think about all the work that went into building them and just how big and old they are is crazy! Definitely belongs as one of the wonders of the world!

We said goodbye to Lindsay and Jeff today, as they head into Vietnam and we are headed back for Thailand, which was sad since we got along with them so well, but we are planning to meet up with them again in Northern Vietnam where our paths will cross again in April! Tomorrow morning we are making the long haul to Ko Samui Thailand to meet up with two of our friends from ship! Im so excited to see them as its been over a year! We have 5 days with them before we are off to Singapore to meet up with some other ship friends! The next three weeks are going to be super fun but are also going to fly by!!



Tags:

2 responses to “Siem Reap and Angkor Wat”

  1. Dawn says:

    Hey Love, as you promised, you’ve seen Angor Wat. I hope I’ll get a chance to do the same sometime. It sounds fantastic. It’s great you got there. Love you, Mom

  2. Dawn says:

    PS: Don’t spit on the sidewalk in Singapore. I know, you’ve never spit on the sidewalk – but just saying. They are a bit more regulated than you are used to – and they enforce it. Hope all goes well with you and all of your friends who are dropping in. It should be great.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *