BootsnAll Travel Network



It just gets better

Caught the train out of Stesen Sentral in KL to spend a day in the small town of Gemas before heading north up the center of the Malaysian Peninsula to Gua Musang on the “Jungle Railway” which was as far as I could book on a day time train in Kuala Lumpur with out getting into a misunderstanding with the agent due to language difficulties. According to the schedule it looks like there is a morning train onward to Wakaf Bharu where it’s necessary to take a bus to the border & the first station in Thailand. Will leave that until arrival there as want to see what the town looks like & maybe spend a day there as have the time + small towns can be interesting just to hang out in & people watch.

As I have the Lonely Planet SE Asia guide only the major cities & towns are mentioned, also neither  BootsNall, LP or Hostel Worlds sites show accommodation in smaller places, while cheap hotels.com & other such sites are basically useless for anything but Capitol cities. However good ole Wikipedia did show a couple hotels in Gemas but none in Gua Musang.

Arrived in Gemas around 18:00 (train was an hour late) & took a short walk down the street as both hotels mentioned in Wiki were only a block from the station & would of done in a pinch but wondered if there was something better around. Being a hot day the owner of a restaurant at the end of the street asked if I wanted a break & a cool drink but when I said wanted to find a room first he directed me to The Tropicana Hotel which turned out to be a nice place complete with Sat TV, A/C, free Wi-Fi, free breakfast & Hot water shower for $15/night.

The staff on the train were nice & even though the station announcements were in Malaysian & English told you personally when your stop was coming up. Absolutely NO hassle at the station. When I returned, for supper, to the restaurant where I got the tip about the hotel, talked to the owner for a bit & was given info on where to eat today (Sunday) as he was going to be closed & before I left he took my picture to put on his wall with about 1/2 a dozen tourists from different countries (food was good), so if you happen to stop in Gemas Malaysia, coming from the station hang a right at the KFC go to the end of the block across the street you will see Restoran Anika, stop in  say David from Canada sent you!!

Then when I returned to The Tropicana after lunch & an afternoon of checking out the town I was informed the owner had comped me from my el cheapo single room to a double with a Queen bed which goes for an extra 15 RM (Ringgit)/night.

Not sure just what the reason is but having been on the road for 12 of the past 18 months a lot of things that seemed unusual at first are now completely normal such as palm trees, tut-tuks, pickups for transportation etc. However Malaysia has a familiar feeling that I haven’t experienced since Iceland hmmm a past life here recently??? Not sure but with the familiar alphabet, road signs similar to the west, similar shops. It just feels familiar & not exotic like it seems it should, oh well might as well forget the analysis & ENJOY!!! 😀

Be interesting to see what stage of my off the beaten path Malaysian adventure brings??

BTW have been in contact with my ladies from Bangkok & all is well with them.



Tags:

8 responses to “It just gets better”

  1. Pinamimi says:

    lol…..you’re the ladies man lol….sounds like you’re having a wonderful time:) How does the food compare to Vietnam and Laos? is it all similar or does each are have it’s distinct difference or spice? Train travel seems to be the way to go – must be a heck of a lot cheaper than it is here :O

  2. Dave says:

    The food in all countries is similar differing mostly in the spices used & of course the cook while street food tends to be both cheap & good. Overall liked the food in Vietnam a tad better.
    However Indian Malsia (spelling) tea is unbeatable & even superior to coffee to kickstart the day & the Massaman Curry from the restaurant accross from the Red Neck bar in Kanchubri is to die for!!
    Ways to travel 1) Ferry 2) Train 3) Bus 4) Swenlaw 5) Tuk-Tuk 6) Rickshaw (by whatever local name) 7) taxi Best of all is walking where distances permit 😀

  3. Pinamimi says:

    i wonder if you can get that tea in Canada? im going to look out for it when i go to Montreal 🙂 WOW you’re walking a lot aren’t you! that’s great! and the food is great as i can see by your belly LOL …could that be due to the local beer? LOL you’re looking good!

  4. Dave says:

    When a quart of Tiger is about the same price as a can of Chinese Coke what’s a guy to do LOL???

  5. Pinamimi says:

    LOL!!!well i guess in the long run it’s healthier – minus the alcohol lol..

  6. Dave says:

    Yeah but who wants to live forever!!

  7. macdon says:

    Busman – I want you to live forever because who else is going to keep me entertained on this blog!!! LO!L!!!

  8. Dave says:

    Might change your mind after my next Crapanada Bashing entry about the Great Crapanada Passport Scam!!!