BootsnAll Travel Network



Don David!!

Another week has passed & it’s finally starting to sink in that my 2 years of traveling has come to a lull & I am truly an ex-pat living in a completely different country than I spent most of my life in.

It’s one thing to travel & sleep in a different bed every night or 2 or 3, even renting an apartment for a month or 2, which is just long enough to get to know the community before moving on. Then the couple months back in Ontario is just a temporary break during which preparations are made for onward travel.

However once one has emptied their storage unit, loaded their last remaining bus with all their remaining posessions & headed westbound on the four-nothing-one, towards another adventure, a five country road-trip, which includes the bucket-list US Route 66, that will ultimately take a month & cover a tad over 10,000 km.

The fact that you have cut all ties with Canada (except passport & bank account for social security checks to be deposited in) is still only an inkling in the back of the mind as you’re too busy seeing new sights, making new friends & having new experiences to dwell on the fact that you are embarking on a totally new & better life!

Spent the first couple nights in Playa San Diego at the Hostel El Roble, the owners of which have become friends, to unwind from what turned out to be an awesome road trip! Doing a couple things to the house before moving in & generally just getting used to the idea that I had arrived in Paradise!

From the time spent during my travels in Cuba, Antigua & even Thailand,  I pretty much knew what to expect however the aspects of day to day living with full time live on site help take some getting used to.

First of all one looses their privacy as their i always some one around, second my caretaker tends to do things in a slipshod manner, if it works it doesn’t matter what it looks like seems to be his philosophy (however not mine) so have to watch his work. However they are honest & not afraid of work so I guess I can get used to being waited on hand & foot & will learn to put up with the minor inconveniences.

Might even get used to being called Don David in time!!

Speaking of road trips, I am toying with the idea(when my Scout rebuild is finished) of doing a cross Canada, Newfoundland (only province I am missing) to Vancouver, then the Alaska Marine Highway to Anchorage. Road trip to Prudhoe Bay, then follow the Pan-American Highway to Tierra del Fuego Argentina, with a side trip at Dawson City to do the Dempster Highway to Inuvik). Think that would be the “Ultimate Road-Trip"!!!



Tags:

Comments are closed.