BootsnAll Travel Network



¿Who ‘D Thunk it?

Iceland comes off waaayyyy better than I thought in my wildest dreams, absolutely LOVE it & if I were 20 yrs younger might be scheming a way to stay here but at this point in my life it has one fatal drawback. NO palm trees!!!

Don’t rely on my numbers as have had info overload the last couple days (just google them) but approx 60% of the hydro is being generated by geothermal, can’t get any “greener” than that! Also hot water is being piped to Reykjavik where 60% of the population lives & surrounding area to heat homes. That’s about 85% of the total 350,000 population making it 3 people/sq km. Not crowded, lots of elbow room. www.bustravel.is

The scenery is fantastic from the lava fields to the good farmland in the shadow of the volcanic mountains with their numerous glacial fed waterfalls to the black sand desert with the accompanying black sand beaches on the south shore. The Marlboro man would be right at home here. www.re.is

My 5 days here was way too short, as I am sure I will find with other places. To do Iceland justice you need to bring some camping gear (there are lots of guest houses in populated areas but every where isn’t), rent a car & get out & about minimum 2 weeks for a quick look or as the manager here says a month to see the whole island, more to really explore.

Trivia that proves Al Gore & David Suzuki are way out to lunch & give way more importance to man than he deserves.

When Iceland was first settled in the 900’s farmers were growing barley & wheat then in the 1500’s the “mini ice-age” came along & grains would not grow here, couldn’t get into Henry Hudson’s Bay for many years either. Then in the 1930’s barley was successfully grown again, now for the last couple years 1 farmer has managed to grow wheat again. Yeah the climate has warmed up to near where it was 1000 yrs ago when there weren’t any cars emitting greenhouse gasses. Just one more proof that our governments are fear-mongering to get more tax dollars out of us!

When I wrote this forgot a really important discovery, I never cared for lamb but on trying Icelandic lamb that all changed. Their lamb is  free ranged out in the mountains, never inside but fed on the natural rangeland grasses & melts in your mouth the Canadian facsimile can’t come any where near the taste & texture. 

Sadly I have a flight booked for morning & must bid adieu to this hypnotising land to continue my adventure. But just might return someday?



Tags:

11 responses to “¿Who ‘D Thunk it?”

  1. pinamimi says:

    very cool Dave….good info too…..
    so Iceland is a must see……:)

  2. Dave says:

    Not for all some may hate it but suits me!

  3. pinamiimi says:

    why would they hate it? the weather? snow? lol
    Sandy went a couple of years back and it was very expensive at the time but i guess since it went under lol and is rebuilding it’s more affordable?

  4. Dave says:

    It’s just that type of place, some thing like Cuba you either like it on not.

    Found prices to be similar to Canada, now Greenland is another story.

  5. Macdon says:

    enjoyed reading about Iceland…thanks Dave!

  6. Jan says:

    Hola Dave … Love reading your descriptions! Happy to hear you’re enjoying everything thus far! I won’t even mention anything about … uh hummmmmm … speedos, lol! oops.

  7. Dave says:

    Geessh, ¿what’s with all the sexy ladies & speedos?

  8. Radster says:

    Any pics of those ladies? LOL

    Good to hear you are enjoying yourself. A good friend of mine toured Iceland a few years ago, for about 2 weeks, and he loved it. I know that if one brings camping gear, lots of money can be saved that way. I wonder if in Iceland it is like in many other parts in Europe, whereby one can camp virtually anywhere once outside of city limits, like any nice piece of grass off the side of a road, picnic area etc, for free? Something that is only allowed on Crown Land in Canada, which is hard to find as most land in Canada that is off highways and roads is private property, so most camping in Canada involves $.

  9. Daniel says:

    Dave — awesome. Glad to read the dispatch! Radster — head to Newfoundland! Lots of roadside Crown Land thereabouts for camping!

  10. Dave says:

    Where we were touring was mainly farming country so lots of private land but did notice tents near the public parking areas at the waterfalls etc where we stopped so I would feel confident in saying yes to free camping on crown lands. Overcast with a few showers when I was there but the taxi driver on the way to the bus station said only 2 rain days in July.

  11. webdesign says:

    Guy, talk about a fantastic post! I?ve stumbled throughout your weblog a few instances within the past, but I usually forgot to bookmark it. But not once more! Thanks for posting the way you do, I genuinely recognize seeing someone who actually has a viewpoint and isn?t actually just bringing back again up crap like almost all other writers these days. Maintain it up!