BootsnAll Travel Network



Right now.

It is mid January. Blake and I live in Prescott, AZ. We like it here, but we don’t want to be here forever. It’s too cold during the winter, though it’s very nice in the summer. People in this town are very thoughtful, creative, and compassionate. On the underside, there is still a great deal of ignorance.
Many people in Prescott are racist, or at least incredibly prejudiced. There are only white people in this town, smattered with the occasional hispanic family. I have only seen about 10 black people here. This is unacceptable to me.
At least in Memphis there was greater diversity. Sadly, the racism was even more pronounced: many people being direct descendents of slaves and slave owners. Despite both sides being stubborn and hateful, I was able to learn from these opposite cultures. Both were foreign to me, a child raised in the middle of nowhere on 40 acres of woodland by California-born parents.
Here in Prescott, the primary culture is cowboy. Cowboys, who run out anyone different: Native Americans, Hispanics, and African Americans. Come to think of it the only Asian people I have seen in Prescott work at Asian restaurants (but most of the people that work at Asian restaurants are hispanic, strange but true).
I guess kindness and generosity applies only to whites.

We have recently decided that we are going to go to Nicaragua for an indeterminable amount of time. I have been researching extensively, and have come up with an incredibly detailed 20 page itinerary. This schedule, of course, will change once we get down there, but the routes and places will still be applicable. Here is a fast and incredibly rough version of the plan:
Megabus from Memphis to Atlanta. Fly from Atlanta to Managua. Explore the Northern Pacific side, and climb a couple volcanoes. Ferry to Ometepe Island and climb a couple more while gawking at petroglyphs. Boat down the Rio San Juan, making side trips to indigenous villages in the Indio-Maiz Reserve, eventually floating to the Caribbean. Go to San Juan del Sur and the Southern Pacific. Travel the Managua-El Rama road by bus, then take a ferry down the river to Bluefields. Spend a significant amount of time on the Corn Islands. Travel by cargo ship to Puerto Cabezas (Bilwi). Take a trip to Pearl Lagoon and learn from the indigenous people there. Bus to the mining triangle, and explore the Bosawas Reserve. Meander back toward Managua, taking side trips to las isletas in Lago Nicaragua.
We will backpack the entire time, tent-camping and staying in hostels. By the end of our backpacking journey (which will take months), I hope we’ll have a clear understanding of the country as a whole. If we don’t, we’ll go anywhere we missed.
You may be wondering why we’ve chosen Nicaragua. You may think Nicaragua is dangerous: it’s not. It’s the safest country in Central America. WAY safer than Memphis, TN.
After the revolution, people have rebuilt, and continue to do so. They are progressing, instead of regressing. Faced with the brutality and tyranny of the Contras led by the US government, they retaliated… and won. Indigenous culture is still central to Nica life instead of capitalism and consumerism. I wish the same could be said about the United States.
The nature in Nicaragua seems untouched, yet it is littered with awe inspiring Pre-Colombian ruins, a constant reminder of the country’s vivid history. There are rainforests, volcanoes, lagoons, mountains, cloud forests, waterfalls, and beaches to explore, not to mention the massive freshwater lake Nicaragua.
The cost of living in Nicaragua is, to me, unbelievably inexpensive. The rent for a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom house containing all the luxuries we deem necessities (hot water, fridge, washer-dryer, stove, bathtub, etc.) will run you about $300 a month. Hotels run the gamut, but you can find nice places for $10 a night. Public Buses from town to town are rarely more than a dollar. Museum entrance is typically $2. Fresh food from the market, pennies. Even furniture, cigars, and gold are sold at extremely low prices.
Possibly the most important reason we are going to Nicaragua is that many people are in need, whereas we are not. The poverty level is outstanding. Many people live on less than $2 a day. Malnourishment is high in some areas. We want to spend our time helping others. To volunteer in the local communities, building and teaching. Learning from experienced craftsmen, fishermen, and guides. We will spend money in local businesses, hopefully deterring such evils as WalMart and high-rise resorts. We want to go to Nicaragua to experience the culture, but most importantly, to help protect it.

For excellent information about Nicaragua:
www.vianica.com



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *