BootsnAll Travel Network



Mile 3847: A capital time

Amy and Xander at the World War II Memorial

Since I used to live in the DC metro area, there’s not a lot of sightseeing in town that I haven’t already done. True, the Corcoran changes its exhibitions as do the various museums of the Smithsonian…but by and large, things are pretty standard in the District. Consequently, my time in DC and Baltimore was mostly about catching up with old friends and relaxing a bit outside of the Civvy. While this was a great time for me I realize it may not make for the most compelling blog post…my apologies to the disappointed.

On Wednesday I left the newly discovered rapture of the Pittsburgh area and departed for the Commonwealth of Virginia. I spent 3 days with my oldFDR Quote roommate Amy and her family in Arlington…not too far from my old stomping grounds…the Park Adams apartments. For the most part, Arlington looks the same with a bit more commercialization along Wilson Boulevard. Though most of the DC tourism stuff is the same as ever, there were two new monuments constructed since I moved away so on Friday we (Amy, her adorable son Xander and I) braved the 95 degree heat for a trip down to the FDR and the World War II Memorials. The FDR is down near the Potomac River and not too far from the Jefferson Memorial. It’s comprised of a lot of rock, cascading waterfalls, sculptures and compelling quotes chiseled into the walls. I couldn’t help but notice that aFDR Quote lot of what was said by FDR during World War II is still relevant today in light of the current war situation. It seems to me that the current administration might benefit from a field trip to the FDR…it is just down the street after all.

After FDR it was off to the World War II Memorial which lies between the Washington Monument and the Reflecting Pool. The WWII monument has a circle of distinct pillars for each state and territory of the U.S. who fought in WWII which surround a beautiful fountain in the middle. The pictures are not great but will hopefully give you an idea of what things look like. After an afternoon at the Mall we headed out to Tyson’s Corner for dinner with my old friend Stephanie.

I spent Saturday morning hanging out one last time with Amy, Alan and Xander and it was off to the Baltimore area to meet up with my friend Karen and her family. Karen and I used to work

Stephanie, Amy and Stacey

together at the Urban Institute in downtown DC and have fortunately been able to keep in touch over the years. She and her husband Paul have a cool, old house in Catonsville, MD and have

Amy, Xander and Alan

a nearly two year-old daughter Ellie. Karen found it absolutely appalling that I had never had a Snowball so after a mexican meal in historic Ellicot City, we stopped at the Snowball stand for dessert. What is a Snowball you ask? Well, it turns out it is really just a snow-cone in a cup…but

Stacey, Karen, Ellie, Paul and Karen’s stepbrother Seth

with lots and lots of flavor choices. We asked the high school kid behind the counter which flavor is the most popular…you’ll never guess which it was…still thinking? Perhaps cherry? Or lime? Blue raspberry? Nope. It’s egg custard. Seriously. Personally that sounds a bit vile to me but what do I know? My stop in Catonsville was altogether too brief but the Extravaganza itinerary calls and I was headed out fairly early this morning for Colonial Williamsburg. I decided to take the slightly more scenic route over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and the subsequent 21-mile Bay Bridge Tunnel from Maryland into Virginia. You’ll all be happy to know that I finally got to stop at the cute seaside restaurant for the sea critters that I failed to find in Maine. Yum…crab cakes and lobster bisque.

As if their amazing hospitality wasn’t enough, when Paul and Karen found out I was headed to Williamsburg they generously offered a gift certificate for a free night’s stay in CW that they wouldn’t be able to use before it expired. Not only did I get a free hotel room, I got a free hotel room on the grounds of CW and that is where I’m typing to you from today. I didn’t get in until around 5 pm so I’ll be doing some sightseeing tomorrow and will be sure, as always, to take some mediocre pictures for your viewing pleasure.

Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel



Tags: ,

4 Responses to “Mile 3847: A capital time”

  1. Mom Says:

    Thanks for the messages from D.C. I agree, Mr. Bush needs to take a freflective walk in his city. I am afraid his silver spoon might get in his way

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Amy Parente Says:

    Stacey – it was so much fun catching up with you – felt like old times again (except for my little maniac running all over the place!!) Thanks for including us on your itinerary – although Alan will probably FREAK when he sees his pic on your blog!! Have a great rest of your trip and keep up the blogging – we may plan a trip up to the ‘burg after the gorgeous pix you (mostly) took…. need Erik’s email though… can you forward it to me?

  4. Andrea Says:

    Considering you thought this would be a boring blog, I must admit I think I’ve enjoyed this one more than any so far, at least text-wise. I look forward to hearing about “CW”, as I think it is a place I would like to visit. I’ll check for this all tomorrow, and again on Wednesday. I hope I’m one that keeps you on your blogging toes! 🙂

  5. Posted from United States United States
  6. Home 3 - All Good Things Must Come to an End… » TravelBlog Archive » Stacey’s 30th Birthday Extravaganza Says:

    […] Amy, Alan and Xander (Mile 3847) welcomed Xander’s new little brother Zachary into the world on February 8.  At last report […]

Leave a Reply