BootsnAll Travel Network



From sand to salt

_MG_2267.JPG

Oh yeah!!! That is the amazing Salar de Uyuni in Bolivia señores. It was an amazing trip for 3 days in a 4×4 jeep, through deserts, mountains, geysers, frozen lakes and salt, lots and lots of salt It all started early in the morning stamping our passports and getting to the Bolivian boarder where we jumped in the jeep. The trip was gonna be at very high altitute so we started chewing coca leaves which helps to handle the lack of oxygen, and makes your teeth green.

_MG_2276.JPG

The landscape is beautiful. Everywhere you look there is something that makes your jaw drop.
There were 8 of us in the car, good music and good vibe, and the hours passed quickly. Every 45 minutes the driver would stop the car to explain or to show us something. First day lots of lakes and beautiful mountains, and we spent the night at 4200 meters beside Laguna Colorada, a red lagoon that changes color with the wind. It was freezing and the place we stayed was very draughty.

_MG_2404.JPG

_MG_2383.JPG

_MG_2374.JPG

_MG_2397.JPG

_MG_2328.JPG

Second day was more driving than anything else with a few stops at nice places and we finally made it to the edge of the salt plain where we stayed in a hotel made completely out of salt, tables, chairs, walls, beds and the floor, wicked eh?

_MG_2414.JPG

_MG_2319.JPG

OOPS!

_MG_2416.JPG

_MG_2438.JPG

_MG_2446.JPG

Finally the Salar (salt plain). It´s the biggest one in the world and it´s at 3700 meters above sea level. It´s so white that it looks like snow and salt is the only thing you see for kilometers. At the beginning of the salar the salt is 2cms thick whereas in the center it´s 7 meters deep! How crazy is that?

_MG_2493.JPG

_MG_2535.JPG

As there is nothing in sight apart from salt there is no perspective, so we used that to take some silly pictures.

_MG_2521.JPG

_MG_2483.JPG

_MG_2484.JPG

_MG_2581.JPG

_MG_2557.JPG

We got to Uyuni, our final destination, covered in salt and dust but with a big smile from ear to ear. It was a wonderful experience and a great way of getting into Bolivia, where things are completely different from Argentina.

_MG_2509.JPG

_MG_2598.JPG

_MG_2606.JPG



Tags: , , , ,

5 responses to “From sand to salt”

  1. Rob says:

    Great stuff Simon!

    Been bored lately but only two more days and I get to hike for the next month! Ill catch up with you after that!

    Have a great month!

    Rob

  2. JaViEr R says:

    Don Simon!

    Cuando llega pues? Hay que hacer una mega rumba cuando llegué. En Agosto le ofrezco un sitiecito que estoy montando con la gente del http://www.summercartagena.com & http://www.summerdancefestival.com, en el piso 48 de la torre más alta de Bogotá más info’ en:
    http://www.planb.com.co/wf_InfoEvento.aspx?IdEvn=307

    SOBRA DECIRLE QUE LA INVITACION VA CON TODA, PA’ DARLE LA BIENVENIDA QUE SE MERECE!

    Oe, estas fotos están del putas… un abrazo pues parcero… quedo pendiente pues!

  3. Amanda says:

    Wow! Simon! Wow!! Can you please come back to Asia and teach me about photography?!! I’m in awe of your talent. THANK YOU for the constant inspiration!!!

  4. Tomas says:

    Que buenas fotos!!! Lo estamos esperando sin saber cuendo llega, pero sabemos que es pronto. El trago ya está en la nevera y solo faltan los personajes principales. Abrazos

  5. santipolo says:

    jajaj, que buenas fotos

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *