BootsnAll Travel Network



Oh woe is Warsaw

Poland´s had a rough century and nowhere are the scars more visible than in Warsaw.  The town was reduced to a bombed out shell by the Germans, then rebuilt by the communists and now capitalists to form the schitzophrenic city it is today.  The old town was rebuilt based on the paintings of Canaletto and has a wonderful feel to it, but Warsovians still can´t seem to except this reproduction. 

 
Outside old town there are old drab communist buildings scattered about, reminders of a history many would just assume forget.  Smack in the middle of town is the most prominent reminder of communism and the Soviet influence on the capital, the Culture and Science Palace.  It was built in the early 50s as a gift from Stalin´s USSR.  Warsaw could “choose” between this and an underground metro line.  Somebody decided on the building and here it still stands.
In the past fifteen years glass skyscrapers have been added to the skyline, luring Poland´s reluctant youth to the capital with the glimmering promise of careers and money. 

I´m in Poland visiting my friend Lech who I met in Japan when he was a researcher there.  He is the best guide I could hope for, an avid history buff, and decidedly anti-Warsaw.  As I ask more and more young folks here, the consensus seems to be that Warsaw is cold and overly competetive; it´s rat-race central in the post-Communist EU Poland.

It seems to be one the most popular questions actually that I´m asked: “So what do you think of Warsaw?”  For this European rookie all I can say is that honestly I don´t know.  Ask me again when I get back from Krakov.

 



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *