BootsnAll Travel Network



Casual Observations that the Whole Family Can Enjoy

Dogs and Cats
There are lots and lots of dogs and cats here in Thailand, they appear to be stray but as time goes on I seem to think that they are people’s pets. I had heard about the packs of roaming dogs and alleys full of cats before and had this imagine in my head of tones of mangy muts and scraggly cats but I’ve found the opposite. All the dogs look to be pure bread or close to ranging from Golden Retrievers to Cocker Spaniels to German Sheppard’s to hundreds upon hundreds of shitsus and poodles all nicely groomed and fixed up. Even the street dogs look pure bread. Mike told me he thinks that people here don’t treat their animals that well but I disagree, I’ve seen some pretty pampered pets here. I really don’t think this fellow has missed many meals lately.

Rats
When I was staying in Ton Sai in my little bungalow I had a little bit of a rat problem. I came home one day to find a baby rat lying on top of my mosquito net evidently having fallen from the banister above from a nest. I pt my sock over my hand, picked it up and threw it out the door. Later that night I was awoken by scratching from above and grabbed my flashlight, sure enough spotting a rat scaling along the top banister beam tugging away at the leaved room. I made some noise and it ran off and that was the last I heard from it that night. The next day I came home again and this time I found two baby rats lying on the front porch, again having fallen from the heavens above. This time however I decided to let nature take its course and found one of the many cats that were roaming the area and showed him the rats. That made his day and he grabbed them both and took off with them. For the rest of the day I could hear the sounds of the rats squealing as the cat played and toyed with them; vicious bastard. To get rid of my little problem I then employed a broom from one of the lady’s there and knocked down the nest, expecting to be raining on by rats but found none. So that’s the rat story.

Riding your Bike and Traffic in Thailand
Traffic here in Thailand is…well chaos, or so it seems to the naked eye but on further analysis there is a certain poetry to it. You’d think, upon first glance that this place must have hundreds of accidents each day and numerous pedestrians getting hit. You expect to see it at some point of the day but sure enough and fortunately it doesn’t happen. Cars, bikes, tuk tuks and motorbikes fill the streets and jockey for position with one another, nearly glance each other as they race down the narrow streets often veering onto the opposite side of the road in order to pass a slower vehicle or bike (me). In Bangkok you can jump onto the back of a motor bike for a couple baht and they’ll do short trips to where you want to go destination, veering in between cars, taking hairpin turns into back alleys and cutting across parking lots to get you where you want to go as fast as they can. Laws are broken, signs half ignored and lines crossed consistently and constantly all the while I’ve yet to see any accidents. How does this go on I question, without anyone getting killed or a 10 car pile up occurring? I assume that they’re all watch one another and just simply avoiding other vehicles as best they can so in turn I jump on my bike, veer into traffic and do the same. Who needs coffee when you have a bike and speeding traffic?

Injury Report
I won’t lie, traveling is tough work. It’s, at times not all what it’s cracked up to be at least for me that is as I always seem to have some sort of cut, bruise, bite, burn or kink. On Ton Sai I was a walking calamity, cranking my toes on 3 separate occasions of which I’m sure must have broken at least one as it was a bright purple for a couple days. I also had the problem there of sand getting into my sandals, rubbing with my feet and getting really bad chafing and sores. I hate sand. Along with the common climbing blisters and cuts and scrapes from trampling threw the jungle on paths that don’t exist I’m in all right condition. Fortunately that’s all healed up but the list carries on. My current injury list consists of the usual bug bites, along with a really nasty one on my lower back that I think I got from one of the huge ants on Ton Sai, two friction burns on my arms that I got from working out with my rings and a terrible heat rash under my arm pits from again, working out. This traveling shit hurts some days.

Crossfit Edmonton
At long last, it’s there but I’m not. One more reason to come home I guess.

Keep on Truckin’ Big Momma
Troy



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *