BootsnAll Travel Network



Jan 26-Feb2 – Andeman Islands -Thailand – Stage 1

Stage 1:  Koh Lipe, Koh _________?!, Koh Ngai

On to Thailand…

To go between the islands, you typically go by speed boat, or ferry, or long-tail boat.  This next leg of the journey was to be by speedboat.  Once again the dangers of travel arose.  The day before we were to travel to Koh Lipe, a speed boat had sunk just off the coast of Koh Lipe. That obviously was a concern – we decided to go with a different company.  You will see from the pictures what kind of boat we took.  However, it was a very windy and wavy day – white caps out on the ocean.  The driver was pushing the boat pretty fast compared to what we thought he should in these conditions, but then again, he does do this every day.  Natalie and kids were riding in the deep bow area, though the front was bouncing pretty heavily, but were keeping dry.  I, however, was in the back getting drenched.  I think I got more wet traveling in the boat than if I were snorkeling! When the boat bounced back down from the wave, it sprayed the whole end of the boat.  Everyone sitting in the back looked like drowned rats.  It didn’t feel real safe.  The biggest fear would be to get broadside of a wave – and all in the boat had heard of what happened the day before.  At one time, the driver put on a helmet that had a large visor. When he did that, we all were wondering what we were getting into. It basically helped him see better with all the spray coming in.  Anyways, when we finally saw land, the mood changed for the better.  Most were very thankful when their feet hit terra firma again.

Natalie’s writing now…

We’re just about finished visiting the southern Thai islands, and they are just as beautiful as I remember them, although much busier. What was once a backpacker “secret” (think the movie, “The Beach”) has now, for the most part, become Europe’s Hawaii. People come every year for their 2 week holiday and full-on resorts can be found in most places. Nevertheless, we were on the hunt for our secret piece of paradise. Our first try was Koh Lipe, which we reached by speedboat from Langkawi.  We thought we’d hit pay dirt (or pay sand) when we pulled ashore onto the whitest, softest sand we’d ever seen. After another short long tail boat ride to the other side of the island, we settled into two rustic bungalows just set back from turquoise water. We sat on our little front porch and heaved contented sighs; it was that feeling you get after a long day of skiing, when you first sink into a hot tub – Aaaaaaaaah…We soon discovered that paradise was no longer a secret. The long tail boats passed in front of our huts night and day. At particular times, (e.g. when the speedboats delivered a new batch of people to the island), it sounded like a long tail regatta, with the prize being given to the one with the loudest motor! After a few days, we’d had enough. We waited an extra day for everyone to get over their first bout of the Thailand trots, and happily left for an island we’d heard about from a Danish family.

Another 2 hour speed boat ride allowed some time for Tim to finally have some “alone” time as he sat in the bow listening to oldies on the iPod – Cat Stevens, America, Petra, Enya, etc. with the wind flying through his hair, watching the sea and islands fly by, and Annika lying in his lap reading. We finally found our “secret piece of paradise.” (So we’re NOT posting the name on the blog, unless you ask!) This is a very small island that you can walk across in half an hour. There are 2 resorts on the beach and a couple inland in the hills. By “resort,” I mean a collection of simple, spotless bungalows set back from the beach on a grass, pine and palm-covered field and a open air restaurant right on the beach. The bungalow had a double bed and a bunk bed, so we slept pretty cozy. There was no electricity between 9 am and   6 pm, but you could run your fan at night. Even though the bathroom was the simple joint toilet-shower combo, it was clean and smelled good! The beach is again white sand and fringed by a so-so reef. There’s not much to “do” here, but its quiet – no long tail boats and loud music – and beautiful. The perfect spot to catch up after pretty continual travelling. It also worked out as a place to rest as both girls got some bug and had 102 degree temps for a couple of days. Kids did quite a bit of homework and got into some good books; I tackled Anna Karenina, and Tim got caught up on putting pictures on the computer. We also had a bit of a science lesson when we stumbled across a small rubber plantation on one of our walks around the island. Saw how the sap is collected and heated, and then run through a press prior to shipment for further processing. All this in the middle of a small sea-gypsy village!

It was hard to pull up stakes and leave this island, but the kids were starting to get a bit antsy after so many days of lolling around and homework. We hadn’t gotten any more diving in, so we headed to Koh Ngai for diving. I didn’t enjoy it at all – probably because it wasn’t as pretty, and it was busier and with a weird vibe. Tim and Josh dove, but visibility was bad and it was a forgettable dive. Everybody (except Tim!) had a pretty serious bout of homesickness about now. Left after 2 days and went to back to the mainland and Krabi to deal with our visa problems.



Tags:

31,679 responses to “Jan 26-Feb2 – Andeman Islands -Thailand – Stage 1”

  1. The topic of drones in higher education is just beginning to
    emerge; we would love to hear more ideas on ways drones can be used in higher education.

    My webpage :: drone with camera

  2. oeexmnowk says:

    Jan 26-Feb2 – Andeman Islands -Thailand – Stage 1 » TravelBlog Archive » Tahoe Johnson’s Journey to Southeast Asia
    [url=http://www.g73x09y84w5b017o3eqjowt439yvv9e3s.org/]uoeexmnowk[/url]
    aoeexmnowk
    oeexmnowk http://www.g73x09y84w5b017o3eqjowt439yvv9e3s.org/

  3. Of all the drones on sale below $100, our top picks are both the
    Syma X5C and the Hubsan X4 Series reviewed previously.

    Also visit my page: best drones for sale

  4. Basically, getting the Best convertible ultrabook means that you are getting a touchscreen laptop.Buy Cheaply With Redmart CouponMassie Veigel   Submitted 20140127 16:39:34 Joyous shopping has to be done meticulously even if you have all the green shells in the world coating your purse. Your email must grab your reader’s attention the minute it lands inside of their inbox, otherwise it may go into their trash.Far east flora promo code also offers you a great price cut you’ve never come by in the market before.You want your web marketing business to be a success, so you are going to have to but in the long hours and work longer and extra harder than those who do not own their own businesses.
    Wholesale NFL Jerseys

  5. pest problem says:

    Very rapidly this web site will be famous amid all blogging and site-building people, due to it’s fastidious posts

  6. Narcisismo sofro da derrocada enternecimento pelo da rumo frontal da ideia, ja fiz mtos tratamentos, sensivelmente a singular ano tou a
    calcular cada administração com dirmatologista na Africa piedade Austral
    porém mixaria nas stou a testemunhar progressos, tambem valor mesuras a fim de membrana,
    cabelo no entanto unhas óbice crina que todavia grande de modo nenhum, por meio de relevante agradeço as digas que me passaram vou realizar. http://www.yuanmuyao.com/comment/html/index.php?page=1&id=21467

  7. Attractive component to content. I simply stumbled upon your website and in accession capital to claim
    that I acquire actually enjoyed account your weblog posts.
    Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feeds and even I fulfillment you
    access persistently rapidly.

  8. Rejeição perca restante etapa, chega dentre afronta, chega com pesar, compre
    atualmente inclusive vantagem viagra espontâneo real no globo, rendimento todavia originário no entanto possuem seguimento patente cientificamente por diversas
    fontes dentre pesquisas. http://www.pgyxy.com/comment/html/index.php?page=1&id=47808

  9. We’re a group of volunteers and opening a brand
    new scheme in our community. Your website provided us with
    valuable info to work on. You have done an impressive process
    and our entire community shall be grateful to you.

    Here is my blog – Hackear facebook

  10. 19 at Houston to see if he could start two days later, but he didn’t respond.sg.When considering a piece of genuine estate you really feel you might want to purchase, talk for the owners of neighboring properties when you can. So you may have to investigation the location you might be gonna decide on even before taking the trip. Dickey with several teams.
    Wholesale Jerseys

  11. lace frontal says:

    pacte parfaite, lace frontal parfaitement conforme, fourniment très soigné, merci !!!

  12. Lucky for us, the sight of the water flowing into the spillway went viral after it was caught on video by a drone.

    Look at my site: iran drone video youtube

  13. Undeniably believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the internet the simplest thing to be aware of.

    I say to you, I definitely get irked while people think about
    worries that they plainly do not know about. You
    managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal.
    Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

  14. Superb, what a weblog it is! This webpage presents useful
    information to us, keep it up.

  15. Basear a alimentação em sucos detox é mesmo que adotar uma dieta radical,
    já que isso transforma a dieta habitual em uma dieta, usualmente, de
    baixas calorias e desequilibrada em macro e
    micronutrientes.

  16. 舒淇 says:

    Is that true? Ill spread this information. Anyway, nice posting.

  17. 舒淇 says:

    Is that true? Ill spread this information. Anyway, good posting.

  18. BONG says:

    Magnificent web site. Lots of helpful information here.
    I’m sending it to a few pals ans additionally sharing in delicious.
    And of course, thanks for your sweat!

  19. Hey there would you mind stating which blog platform you’re using?
    I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m having a tough time making a
    decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
    The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique.
    P.S Apologies for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

  20. wuangus.cc says:

    Embora estresse emocional seja menos provável
    de causar perda de cabelo do que estresse físico, conquanto é possível que ocorrer. https://wuangus.cc/go.php?url=https://imecap-hair.gxlvchuan.com

  21. When deliver this high end replica Cartier timepieces away as gift it surely include experience
    replica rolex datejust

  22. Terrance says:

    My family members all the time say that I am killing my time
    here at web, but I know I am getting familiarity every day by reading such pleasant articles or reviews.

  23. Se você acha que para emagrecer vai precisar se matar por horas na academia e fazer séries intermináveis
    de exercícios físicos repetitivos, saiba que essa não é a realidade desse
    plano.

  24. No Ballet Fitness também não é necessário uso das sapatilhas de ponta, tão
    comuns no Ballet Clássico”, acrescenta Flora. http://www.brezje.si/UserProfile/tabid/57/userId/238575/Default.aspx

  25. my partner and I’ve been considering a go on to Florida off off
    and on again for approximately 2-3 years now.

    Feel free to surf to my webpage :: oceanside storage unit

  26. Jan 26-Feb2 – Andeman Islands -Thailand – Stage 1 » TravelBlog Archive » Tahoe Johnson’s Journey to Southeast Asia

  27. This site truly has all the information and facts I needed concerning this subject and didn’t know who to ask.

  28. Νо time limits, no pay per download fees, no bandwidth or content limits.

    ” The kind man showed me that my phone is a bit computer if I never turn it off, it never has a possiblity to clean out its operating cache also it gets too filled up to take on anything new. Axis Powers Hetalia Cosplay is not a fresh cosplay theme, actually its prevalence as a result of classical and unique storyline and characters.

    my homepage – counter strike 1.6 do poƅrania

  29. You do not have to walk via a blizzard to get out of your automobile and into your own home. This program is Quite provided as a result of unique provider products and services out there. Chicago balked at trading the young shortstop, who they consider to be a huge part of their core. You should never let this chance slip by you.comto acquire the newest working Coupon and promotional code for McAfee 2014.

  30. Rozella says:

    I found a lot of so called fhx-a clash of clans hack download – Rozella – of Clans hacks that needed a download as well as led
    to unlimited surveys.

  31. I know this website presents quality depending content and other data, is there any other website which gives these information in quality?

  32. Excellent beat ! I wish to apprentice even as you amend your site, how could i subscribe for a blog site?
    The account helped me a appropriate deal. I were a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided brilliant clear concept

  33. Cheap NFL Jerseys China…

    Having access to Indiana Criminal Records keeps the citizens informed as to whom they should not associate themselves with. Put in the research and you may have a wonderful honeymoon for the cost of a few nights stay.The data from the United States Bur…

  34. Good post. I am dealing with a few of these issues as well..

  35. Anonymous says:

    E como colega Peterson cita, os deveres e direitos de cada parte devem ficar bem claros no contrato de prestação de serviços, observe
    seu caso, se nele constam termos genéricos como entrega de declarações, ou não separa PF de
    PJ e seu cliente esta reclamando abra uma exceção pontual e atente-se aos próximos, para não passar
    por esta situação novamente.

  36. My family members always say that I am killing my time here at web, however I
    know I am getting know-how every day by reading thes pleasant
    articles or reviews.

  37. No caso do Mercado Livre, há serviço Mercado Pago, que permite
    oferecer a venda parcelada em até 12x sem juros recebendo valor total.

  38. tin nóng says:

    Great post. I used to be checking constantly this blog and I am inspired!
    Extremely helpful information specifically the ultimate part 🙂 I deal with such
    info a lot. I was seeking this certain information for
    a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

  39. poker review says:

    Spot on with this write-up, I seriously feel this amazing
    site needs far more attention. I’ll probably be back again to read more, thanks for the information!

  40. Michal says:

    En el caso de tratarse de un móvil, encenderlo apuntar
    el IMEI presentar una prueba que acredite su propiedad. http://other.rasmeinews.com/?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=user&id=1804872

  41. Undeniably believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the internet the
    easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while people consider worries that
    they plainly do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the
    top and also defined out the whole thing without having side-effects
    , people could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more.
    Thanks

  42. Phillipp says:

    Hola! I’ve been reading your web site for a long time now and finally got the
    bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Porter Tx!
    Just wanted to mention keep up the fantastic job!

  43. If you are looking to be the market leaders, then you have to search for ways helping you minimize the running costs. The reason why will you acquire expensively when you can buy cheaply? There’s no reason correct? Yea you’re right; there’s no reason.Jays DFA Drew Carpenter Send Brett Cecil To Triple ARealGM WiretapThe Blue Jays have designated Drew Carpenter for assignment. Sudden surges from new IP locations can raise suspicions and even result in blocks and blacklists from ISP’s.Quantity of funds accessible to spend on the excursion ought to be looked into as well.

  44. Rose, 71, holds the record with 4,256 hits. Individuals with the resources to modify the regular products and services to match their individual preferences will probably have the upper hand.You shouldn’t put off replacing shingles. These are just a couple tips that will help you be successful with email marketing. Based on these projections, the partners at RMW are confident that they can afford to bid $80MM. Miller. Repairing shingles immediately will save cash for you and avoid you a headache.To get the long term in footwear with very good comfort and model for your youngsters, Barker sneakers are encouraged by all consultants. First of all, Idon’t think he wants to leave the Yankees. Carol improves this margin to 12%. More click-thru rates equate to more sales.Keep in mind that email marketing’s ultimate goal is selling your products or services.
    Cheap Jerseys From China

  45. Wow, that’s what I was looking for, what
    a stuff! present here at this webpage, thanks admin of this website.

  46. I’ve read several just right stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting.
    I wonder how a lot attempt you place to create this kind of great informative web site.

  47. You have made some good points there. I checked on the internet for additional information about the issue and found most people will go along with your views on this site.

  48. I think the admin of this web page is actually working hard in favor of his website, since here every data is quality based material.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *