BootsnAll Travel Network



April 7-8: Delhi

sights-13.jpg

India Gate – built by the British – it is down from this gate and through the “concourse” where the funeral march scene in the movie Ghandi took place.  

Delhi:  “encapsulates two different worlds, the old and the new”.  The Old Delhi served as the capital of Islamic India, while New Delhi was built as the imperial capital of India by the British.  Delhi has not always been the capital.  During the British rule, Calcutta was, but due to the championing of independence by the West Bengal people, the British moved the capital to Delhi.  There have actually been eight cities founded in and around Delhi, starting back as early as 2500 years ago.  Different rulers throughout its history have imposed either Hindu or Islamic rule.

Most of the backpacker hotels are in Old Delhi, where we stayed.  Our stay was only basically one day.  We had planned for more, but the day we arrived, we spent most of the afternoon trying to figure out our “India stay”.  The kids didn’t mind it because they just crashed in the room.  Kolkatta and Veranasi had wiped them out.  Looking back we should have stayed two nights in Delhi, rather than get up see the sights and move on to Agra. Hindsight is always easier.

Our plans for India had now changed to doing just the “Golden Triangle” trip, which is your typical tourist trip of Delhi: the Red Fort, National Mosque, Tombs, bazaars; Agra: the Fort and the Taj Mahal; and Jaipur:  in the state of Rajasthan and known for its palaces and forts.  We cancelled out south India, and knew we wanted to finish with the Himalayas and cooler weather. 

To accomplish this “triangle” tour, we had two options:  try and figure it out as we go (ie train, hotel, etc), or a more popular option is to hire a car/driver.  We opted for this to make it easier on all of us the car takes you to the sites, you get back in and move to the next one – no hassles, no touts. Looking back, this is the biggest advantage; however, train rides are a much more comfortable way to travel in India, once you have gotten through the ticket purchasing and finding your way through the crowds and which track to end up on.  The downside of car travel was the incessant honking of vehicles as you travel.  The roads are better than they were 30 years ago, and sometimes now include 4 lanes, therefore, making one feel safer.  Another advantage of taking the car was you got to see the country side and way of life as you traveled.  It was usually a 5 hour drive between cities.

Jama Majid:  built by Shah Jahan (same ruler that built the Taj Mahal).  Construction began in 1644 and was completed 14 years later.   It is made from red sandstone and marble.  The courtyard can hold a mind blowing 25,000 people. We really enjoyed climbing to the top of the minarets, where you could look out over the whole city. It made all the honking and traffic and crowds below you look like you were watching a movie, even though you knew you had to jump back into it in a little while. It was interesting too, to see all the security in place to get into the mosque – scanners, no bags, etc.  We had to “dress” down for the event.

masjid-1a.jpgmasjid-1.jpgmasjid-2a.jpg

We climbed up the minaret – great views of city from above – incredible craftsmanship of tower and mosque.

masjid-3a.jpgmasjid-3b.jpg

You will notice the Red Fort in the background

masjid-4a.jpgmasjid-5.jpgmasjid-6.jpgmasjid-7.jpgmasjid7.jpg

Red Fort:  built again by Shah Jahan when he wanted to move his capital from Agra to Delhi.  Construction was completed in 1648.  It was built for a grandiose display of pomp and power (parading on an elephant through the gates to the city).  Shah Jahan was one of the last great Moghul rulers.  He never completely saw the capital move to Delhi, because his son overthrew and imprisoned him (nice son!?).  Over the centuries it has been occupied by different powers including the British and Indian armies.  Many military buildings now stand on the premises and the Indian army still has a post here. It is a little more run down than I would have thought being a major piece of architecture and Indian history. 

rf-1.jpgrf-2.jpg

The moat that surrounds the fort – had tunnels dug to bring water in from the river

rf-9c.jpgrf-2b.jpg

Tight security – nice to know an AK 47 is facing you when you walk in.

rf-3.jpg

The royal meeting area where the king met the “people”.

rf-4.jpgrf-5.jpgrf-91.jpgrf-8.jpg

Kings residence – where the “Peacok Throne” was until Iran stole it and where the Shah of Iran  used to use it during his reign.  The throne still resides in Iran.  The following slides show the intricate marble carvings with inlaid stone and precious jems were.  Between the different “residence places” they have a water way that goes under the residences to allow for “cooling” effect (like evaporative cooling) – very ingenious

rf-6.jpg

All Marble – incredible carvings – grate work

rf-9f1.jpgrf-7.jpgrf-7a.jpg

Where precious stones were cut out and stolen

rf-9d.jpgrf-9e.jpg

Humayan’s Tomb:    World Heritage Sight – another example of incredible Moghul architecture built in the 16th century by the wife of the second Moghul emperor Humayan.  Both she and her husband and other tombs are on the grounds.  Ten years ago this was a run-down tourist site.  Thanks to the Agha Khan Foundation sponsorship and money and it being declared a World Heritage site,  the restoration is incredible and magnificent.  

humayan-1.jpghumayan-2.jpghumayan-3.jpghumayan-4.jpg

It always amazes me the grill work from either red sandtone or marble that is done – always one piece of marble – to carve the openings without making a mistake or breaking the marble

humayan-5.jpg

The six sided star intrigued me in Muslim architecture

humayan-6.jpghumayan-7.jpg

Koranic sayings carved in marble.  The tomb is made from red sandstone.  Black marble is also inlaid with Koranic sayings etc.

humayan-8.jpghumayan-9.jpgfamily-2.jpg

Old Delhi shot from the minaret – New Delhi and all its modern structures and freeways looks like any other big city.

bazar-2.jpgbazar-1.jpg

Maybe the problem with all the horn blowing is that all the trucks and taxi’s have this saying on the back of their vehicles.  It is basically to let you know that I am on your tail and want to pass you.  This is because no one follows any rules of the road – or so as it  seems.  After the sights, we hopped in the car for our drive to Agra. 

horn.jpg

Interesting site – a Hindu temple but it seems to have Islamic architecture.

hindu-temple.jpg



Tags:

30,656 responses to “April 7-8: Delhi”

  1. Several people steer clear of Japan in their trips, due to the fact it really is extremely pricey and also you can’t make it with out blowing at the very least $100 each day.When considering a piece of genuine estate you really feel you might want to purchase, talk for the owners of neighboring properties when you can. Then, the Antivirus will be eliminated against your laptop. Use the words “Tips” and “How to”.”Jonathan Sanchez last threw Aug.

  2. vqzcxwtby says:

    April 7-8: Delhi » TravelBlog Archive » Tahoe Johnson’s Journey to Southeast Asia
    avqzcxwtby
    [url=http://www.g4i2fn4k840jtbeb9415jq17l6si44r9s.org/]uvqzcxwtby[/url]
    vqzcxwtby http://www.g4i2fn4k840jtbeb9415jq17l6si44r9s.org/

  3. So that you can refer to it as necessary in order to get the most out of the information in this article. The coupon offers you approximately 10% price cut upon practically each item you get at redmart. One technique that new investors frequently find lucrative is really a lease alternative, or rent to very own.Do not send too much information in one email. This program is Quite provided as a result of unique provider products and services out there.
    Wholesale Jerseys China

  4. Sherri says:

    Nalgum epílogo Marcelo, à proporção que falei no formação pena artigo, fico favorável por gnose que ainda existem seres que nem vassuncê,
    inconformado junto notícias, precisamos lançar-se antes bem como
    debater, empecilho precisamos observar toda vez ACIMA DE
    LIVROS, em nenhuma circunstância na net. http://Fbxcounted.com/index.php?title=User:PeteBillson1

  5. At all times carry a comprehensive insurance policy on your properties and understand about other approaches to safeguard yourself inside the event of the lawsuit. These characteristics make these gadgets convenient to carry. This outlet is not only interested in making money off you; they’re much more interested in making your shopping have a long resided one. This can be exactly where the subtlety comes in.The principle gain that you’re walking is you do not have to wait for an movie to become delivered electronically.
    Wholesale NFL Jerseys

  6. Izetta says:

    No creo que a cualquier ciudadano de la provincia le interese mucho si acá hay una estatua del Arcángel un símbolo religioso, mientras
    que su carretera esté en condiciones, mientras que lleguen programas de empleo,
    se invierta en infraestructuras y haya programas sociales para sus necesidades.

  7. Ariel says:

    También hay personas que adoran descargar figuras de lindas flores como modelo de maqueta para su
    jardín como para modelos para cuadros de cocina, aunque hay
    veces en que las imágenes de rosas más que para empleo creativo las usan también para diseños
    de fondos de pantalla para cualquier dispositivo móvil.

  8. You merely have a few more weeks to take pleasure from a cold
    one at OAWis present place, because they are slated
    to start a fresh store-front elsewhere in Oceanside.

    Also visit my site … storage units oceanside

  9. Michale says:

    Can I simply just say what a relief to discover somebody who
    trtuly unerstands what they’re discussing over the internet.
    You actually understand how to bring a problem to light
    and make it important. A lot more people must check this out and understand this side of your story.
    I was surprised that you’re not more popular because you surely have the gift.

    My web-site … Designer naval (Michale)

  10. However, to achieve this goal, you must ensure that you create an eye-catching one armed
    with great templates and clear and readable contents that readers will surely love to
    read.

    My site poster design template

  11. Customers will get frustrated and overwhelmed if there is an overabundance of information in a single email. Via torrents most videos are generally delivered electronically faster as well as the top quality that you receive is very large. Once the device is secured down, it’ll be very not possible for anybody to eliminate data in the hard drive as well as format the difficult drive. You need your visitor to complete a desired action, let’s say the purpose is to capture a visitor’s email address. There are some web sites which permit consumers to view any motion picture online merely if you’re certainly not thinking about downloading it any video use this choice.
    Cheap Jerseys Free Shipping

  12. It can also protect the device from thievery since it provides antitheft protections that are smart as well as cuttingedge. Most website consulting business owners work upwards of 100 hours per week.”He’s still not making the progress we’d hoped.Content marketing is the most effective way of constructing those relationships, with the ultimate purpose of gaining your visitors’ trust.The Mets spoke with eight teams on Monday, including the Red Sox, according to a source.
    Wholesale Jerseys Cheap

  13. I for all time emailed this webpage post page to all my
    friends, for the reason that if like to read it then my friends will too.

  14. Very efficiently written story. It will be helpful to anybody
    who usess it, as well as me. Keep doing what you are doing – for sure i will check out
    more posts.

    My web site … lawyers tweed heads

  15. Fantastic goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely
    wonderful. I actually like what you have acquired here, really like
    what you’re saying and the way in which you say it.
    You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it
    smart. I can not wait to read much more from you. This is really a great site.

  16. Communities usually have a scheduled day for a type of event. At just a fraction of the cost of a traditional marketing campaign, it is a great deal with great results. When contacting someone, always include a newsletter or an offer – this way the customer has the chance to agree to receive your messages. OK, can he get 200 more hits when he’s 41? You thinkhe can? I don’t think he can get 200 more hits at 41, but let’s say hedoes.Carol and her team make their numbers. They expect the other bidders to come in at around $75 MM. OK, can he get 200 more hits when he’s 41? You thinkhe can? I don’t think he can get 200 more hits at 41, but let’s say hedoes.”Zidane said on Tuesday: “Cristiano has spoken to everyone, with me and all, the matter is past.The starting off part of your Forex currency trading education will concentrate on understanding the foreign currency market track record.com. Pack them in the boxes and price them as you go along.”Teheran was outstanding,” said manager Fredi Gonzalez.

  17. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video
    to make your point. You clearly know what youre talking
    about, why throw away your intelligence on just
    posting videos to your weblog when you could be giving us something enlightening
    to read?

  18. Hi there! I couldd have sworn I’ve been to this website before but after checking through some
    of thhe post I realized it’s new to me. Anyways,
    I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be book-marking and checking back often!

    My page: marketing video templates

  19. Jed says:

    Concluindo, se você preferir mantimentos saudáveis e
    ter uma rotina de exercícios se é possível que manifestar que gordura não engorda. http://Www.Abmbbs.com/home.php?mod=space&uid=35212&do=profile&from=space

  20. Know your medical history given that it plays a vital role in keeping you good every time. If they are certainly not upfront about the discount, ask them.The trainer must offer the most vital tips to lose weight or gain for some. Hiring a adoring population group rear and forth from a specialised organization who gives for any all of your family users some of these style having to perform with remedies is usually which the end up obtaining all around the a variety of positive aspects inside place an conclusion to expending a smaller sized quantity the hard cash and turning into likely to become the a superb answer out partying about it Handful acquiring to do with of the additional benefits are listed as beneath for additional particulars on search at for instance despite the very fact that creating conclusions also probable in-household or in any other case outsource:It is possible to make an all in a single decision the a time period frame as choosing them these all a lot more often than not signifies no matter if your relatives will be the slightly like in order to make use of them enchanting an precise interval to try and do with a period of time nicelyall across the contract basis and profession basis. Many have friends that have told them about great trips they have taken and booked at the last minute.

  21. Ou melhor, só lá lucro ligeiro da quimio que consciência parei do
    que portar-se” prezado pelo, pude utilizar uns bons trinca meses algum dia! http://www.china010sheji.com/comment/html/index.php?page=1&id=3108

  22. Having multiple projects going that can build income is a vital key to true success but it’s not something you should start trying to do right out of the gate. If you have not located the info you need yet, possibly you may by visiting our guide to Japanese Maple Tree Propogation Methods. The right way is to ask for help and guidance from the Internet to do the right job. A simple few dollars over budget will snowball out of control after you convince yourself that it’s only a few dollars and thus not that important. There are a number of stores and resources online.

  23. Howdy! Would you mind if I share your blog
    with my myspace group? There’s a lot of folks that
    I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me
    know. Cheers

  24. Fantastic beat ! I would like to apprentice at the same time as you amend
    your website, how could i subscribe for a weblog web site?

    The account aided me a appropriate deal. I have
    been a little bit familiar of this your broadcast provided
    shiny transparent idea

  25. Que significa ereções maioria fortes, que proporcionam experiências sexuais demais intensas e
    também agradáveis diversos contra si porquanto a fim de a sua parceira. http://bbs.17358.com.tw/home.php?mod=space&uid=1352068&do=profile

  26. arcnet.nc says:

    Primeiro passo para se joga a Mato, referindo-se os procedimentos
    didáticos, é, como já vimos, a meneio. http://www.arcnet.nc/ActivityFeed/MyProfile/tabid/61/UserId/15981/Default.aspx

  27. Chloe says:

    no tabernáculo, significando com isso que pão de cada dia era proporcionado pela graça e também
    benignidade do É por esse motivo que precisa saber esses 50 e tantos blogs de decoração! http://xn--72cc9abxb2dn0d7af0d3ad7nk1b.com/home.php?mod=space&uid=971496&do=profile

  28. I real pleased to find this website on bing, just what I was searching for 😀 besides bookmarked.

  29. Sidra Villas says:

    Thᥱ investоrs are invited to inѵest and buy property
    here and be a part ߋf thiѕ high retuгո ⲟn iոvestment business.
    • Ѕecߋոdary market purchase-in thiѕ process, the purcһased properties are resold in
    the market making the price increase even double times.
    Due tо all tһese reаsons, the demand curѵe haѕ shifted itself completely
    from a region of lesѕer demand to an expanse of eոoгmous demand.

  30. Nokia tried to create its own devoted cellular gaming platform
    with the N-Gage in 2003 however this effort failed attributable to a combination of unpopular design choices, poor software assist and competitors from (widely
    thought to be more technically superior) handheld consoles.

  31. watch movies says:

    I am sure this paragraph has touched all the internet viewers, its really really good piece of writing on building up new webpage.

  32. 是因为原来是行政命令式管理,”产量一般按订单生产,不少网友大侃“你吃的起茶叶蛋吗”?较上年同期负成长1.乳企却已“抽怕了”,万马股份今日涨逾5%,2013年全国炼钢废钢铁综合单耗为110千克/吨,无论在品质上,47亿元,产业链条完整的高标准、国际化一站式工程机械采购总部基地。若委员会认定具有不可接受的风险,如果有植物表达蛋白质抗虫或抗病毒,0,2014年7月份,5月16日与2009年的2.大力发展计算机网络工程,对未来的投入产出比作出科学的预估。特种机器人、智能化装备之路,该项目填补了国内空白。

  33. Very descriptive article, I liked that bit. Will there be a part 2?

    Here is my web-site Computer Clean-Up

  34. My partner and I stumbled over here by a different
    page and thought I might check things out.
    I like what I see so now i’m following you.

    Look forward to looking over your web page again.

    Also visit my web blog :: rodent control

  35. Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words in your article seem to be running
    off the screen in Firefox. I’m not sure if this is a format issue
    or something to do with browser compatibility but I thought
    I’d post to let you know. The design and style look
    great though! Hope you get the problem solved soon.
    Kudos

  36. It’s as easy as logging into Google Places, Bing Local and also Yahoo Resident and also strolling with the confirmation actions which include a call or article card to confirm your address.

    my webpage :: local seo queensland

  37. gsa ser list says:

    Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your post seem
    to be running off the screen in Ie. I’m not sure if this is a
    formatting issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to let
    you know. The design and style look great though! Hope you get the problem resolved soon. Kudos

  38. Clemmie says:

    Hen cage could be your hen’s home and also the house need
    to fit, offering the essentials including wood bars for perching,
    nesting packaging containers and, most importantly, worry-free living.

    My blog; blueprints for a chicken coop, Clemmie,

  39. A termo de Deus deve ser padrão, mas neste estilo ela é deixada de lado dando lugar a fim de que achamos ser certo ou errado. http://www.snowcentre.co.nz/Activity_Feed/My_Profile/UserId/48830

  40. Αgain, tɦis iss certainly relаted tߋ what the official Facebbook application ߋffers.

  41. Link exchange is nothing else however it is only placing the other person’s weblog link on your page at appropriate place and other person will also do same
    in support of you.

  42. After I originally commented I seem to have clicked
    the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now whenever a comment is added I receive four emails with the exact same comment.
    Perhaps there is a way you can remove me from that
    service? Thanks!

    Review my site; computer Repair Service contract

  43. Therefore you’re liberal to pick virtually any movie and also observe it on the internet.Toronto recalled Jesse Chavez and Adeiny Hechavarria from Las Vegas to take their roster spots. Losing site of your main focus can be the downfall of your company. Those are recognized towards be the highest frequent viruses partially considering that of the attractiveness of Options for which macros are composed. If a potential customer reaches out to you through email, you ought to do everything you can to reply to them within one day.

  44. Jane says:

    Hello, I llog on to our blgs regularly. Youur
    humoristic stfyle iss awesome, keep doihg what
    you’re doing! Hey! Someoe in mmy Facebook group shared thnis websitge witrh uus sso I cam too giove it a look.
    I’m definitely loving tthe information. I’m book-marking aand woll be tweetinhg ths tto my followers!
    Excellent bloog and outstanding design. I will immediatel
    taqke hold of your rss aas I ccan not find yoiur email subscription hyperliunk
    orr e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Kindly leet me reecognize inn order
    hat I may subscribe. Thanks. http://Cspan.org/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *