BootsnAll Travel Network



Feb 16-19: Vietnam:Hanoi

masoleaum.jpg

Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum – huge open space in front of the mausoleum – very tight regulations – line up in 2 lines, no talking, hats off, no shorts, need sleeve shirt, move slowly, guards every corner – only open for a couple of hours a day, huge lines (we got there right at closing), you shuffle through a darkly lit halway into the viewing chamber (no cameras allowd) and lo and behold – there lies the embalmed body of Ho Chi Minh – quite surreal experience.  They usually take him out once a year to Russia to get re-embalmed. 

Hanoi, Vietnam   The Paradox:  liberal capitalism with socialistic politics

We arrived here a little breathless and unplanned after our all night bus ride and visa issues in Thailand. So when we took a taxi from the airport into downtown Hanoi, we had no idea where we were going or where we were staying, other than that we wanted to be in the Old Quarter. Upon arriving in the Old Quarter, we could see that walking around looking for a hotel, with five of us trundling our backpacks along was going to be impossible. The streets are incredibly narrow, and FULL, (and I mean FULL, from one side of the street to other!) with motorcycles – all of them beeping their horns! I hope our pictures can show this, although pictures can never capture the cacophony!  We decided to have the taxi drop us off at a hotel we’d read about in our guidebook. When we pulled up to the hotel, someone ran out, asked if we had a booking, and hearing we didn’t, told us they were full. But, what do you know, they had another hotel that had space! We realized later we were being had by the oldest trick in the book, but this other hotel worked out great – soft beds, warm comforters, clean …and $15US per room! We’ve seen sights in Hanoi, but my favorite sightseeing is just watching the city go by. It’s amazing it all works! The streets are literally full of cars and motorbikes all day long. Shops spill out onto the “sidewalk” and shopkeepers and their friends or family (?) sit out on the sidewalk on these little plastic stools that would fit about ONE of my buns (no comments please!) At night, there are wide swatches of sidewalk set aside as “bia hoi” stalls, where men mostly sit and drink warm beer in ice-filled glasses, all perched on these little plastic stools.

It feels strange to think that technically we’re in a “Communist” or at least socialist country. Capitalism is alive and well here, as evidenced by all the stuff that’s offered for sale! But there are still a fair number of billboards with a hammer and sickle, and the Vietnamese star. Ho Chi Minh is still revered and referred to as “Uncle Ho.” We went to see his mausoleum, which could almost be called a “pilgrimage” to Vietnamese, at least here in the north. It was quite an experience in Social Studies!…

We also went to see Hoa Lo Prison, which is where John McCain was held and was known as the “Hanoi Hilton” during the war. The Vietnam War war here is called the “American War,” which makes sense if you think about it. Not much of the prison is left standing. It’s been razed to build a skyscraper called the Hanoi Towers. However, they did preserve the main gate and a section of cell blocks which has been made into a museum. There really wasn’t a lot about the American prisoners here. Most of the museum was about the Vietnamese who were incarcerated here during the French colonization of Vietnam. The prison was originally built by the French to incarcerate hundreds of Vietnamese revolutionaries who were fighting for freedom from the French. There was only one room dedicated to the American soldiers who were held here during the war, and it definitely had a certain slant to it, as it was depicted as a really quite pleasant place to be!

Governors residence of IndoChina

pp-21.jpg

Ho Chi Minh REsidence – he like the simplicity of life – not in the big mansion above – Frank Loyd Wright would have liked the wood work

hcm-living.jpg

French leftover – church – not kept up very well, but there is a thriving Catholic Community here

church.jpg

Temple of Literature:  This was basically a university for the study of philosphy, law, and literature dating back to 1070. They studied Confucious  teachings for feudal society in the orderly flow and ethical behavior of gentlemen – with respect to education self, organizing family, governing state, and ruling all nations.   And he wrote this back in 50 BC. A fabulous place to think of all the “learning going on”.

lit-3.jpglit-7.jpglit-21.jpg

These are called stelea – basically like a PH Diploma – it has there name, what they studied, etc on it once they passed their exams and the final exam given by the king. There were 13 thousand students that passed.  The turtle is an important symbol with the Vietnamese people.

lit-1.jpg

The Phoenix is also an important symbol and is represented in the temples.

lit-5.jpglit-4.jpg

Museum of Enthology – explains all the different people groups, language, culture, dress, occupations – outside they had these huge models set up that showed how they lived.  This was the meeting hall.

museum.jpg

HaLo Prison – aka – “Hanoi Hilton” as named by the US prisoners of war – the prison camp that the US airmen were housed in – including Senator John McCain.  This prison was built by the French and where they kept Vietnamese prisoners that were fighting against the French.  Most of the prison exhibits described the fight for Vietnamese independence from the French and the atrocities that they committed.  My camera gave out so we did not get many pictures including the guillitine.  What you see is only a portion of the prison that was saved for historical purposes, but the other half there now sits a hotel – ironically named Hanoi HIlton Towers.  Vietnam has a long history trying to get their independance – from the Chinese and the French – Ho Chi Minh was first trying to unify Vietnam by getting rid of the French – he actually wrote to 2 US presidents for help but got no reply – had communistic leanings – when independance was  declared he was the ruling party in the north, but there was a catholic president in the south who did not want to become communist – there lies the fighting and US involvement.  Vietnam has always in their history had a north – south type of split.

prison-61.jpgprison-7.jpgprison-1.jpgprison-2.jpgprison-1a.jpgprison-1b.jpgprison-3.jpgprison-4.jpg

Didn’t mean for this to come right after the prison pictures – Just Sayings –

bathroom-2.jpg

This sign is showing those individuals that have not used a “western” toilet how to do it.  The kids are liking Vietnam because they have western toilets (not squat pots or sometimes referred to as starting blocks), and they all have toilet paper rather than the perverbial hose with water.

bathroom.jpg

Sights of Hanoi in the old quarter – each street is named for the wares that are being sold on that street – totaly a crazy place with no traffic rules – we finally got the hang of how to cross a street -don’t stop, they will go around you – bicylces, cars, motorbikes – 2.5 million motorbikes in Hanoi with only a population of 4 million – following pictures are just street life – the most fascinating aspect of Hanoi (capital of Vietnam)

sights-9g.jpgsights-4.jpgsights-4.jpgsights-1.jpgsights-9f.jpgsights-3.jpgsights-5.jpgsights-6.jpgsights-7.jpgsights-8.jpgsights-9.jpgsights-9a.jpgsights-9b.jpgsights-9c.jpg

The favorite pasttime – sitting around on little stools eating, but mostly drinking cheap beer in plactic glasses with ice. –

sights-9e.jpg 



Tags:

26,134 responses to “Feb 16-19: Vietnam:Hanoi”

  1. My developer is trying to convince me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses. But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using WordPress on several websites for about a year and am concerned about switching to another platform. I have heard good things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress posts into it? Any help would be really appreciated!

  2. WalterWaf says:

    Тор теневая часть интернета – это фрагмент интернета, которая, которая функционирует поверх обычнои? сети, однако не доступна для прямого допуска через обычные браузеры, как Google Chrome или Mozilla Firefox. Для входа к даннои? сети нуждается эксклюзивное программное обеспечение, вроде, Tor Browser, которыи? обеспечивает секретность и сафети пользователеи?.

    Основнои? механизм работы Тор даркнета основан на использовании путеи? через разные точки, которые кодируют и направляют трафик, вызывая сложным слежение его источника. Это формирует анонимность для пользователеи?, укрывая их фактические IP-адреса и местоположение.

    Тор даркнет содержит различные ресурсы, включая веб-саи?ты, форумы, рынки, блоги и другие онлаи?н-ресурсы. Некоторые из подобных ресурсов могут быть недоступны или запрещены в обыкновеннои? сети, что вызывает Тор даркнет площадкои? для подачи информациеи? и услугами, включая вещи и услуги, которые могут быть нелегальными.

    Хотя Тор даркнет выпользуется несколькими людьми для пересечения цензуры или протекции индивидуальности, он как и превращается платформои? для разносторонних нелегальных деи?ствии?, таких как торговля наркотиками, оружием, кража личных данных, предоставление услуг хакеров и остальные злостные деи?ствия.

    Важно осознавать, что использование Тор даркнета не обязательно законно и может иметь в себя серьезные опасности для безопасности и законности.

  3. JamieBab says:

    pharmacy no prescription: canada drugs no prescription – overseas online pharmacy-no prescription

  4. Qfwrjg says:

    metformin pills – order lincomycin generic order lincomycin 500mg without prescription

  5. Zjhjkw says:

    buy generic zidovudine 300 mg – avalide oral cheap allopurinol

  6. It’s the best time to make a few plans for the long run and it is time to be happy. I have learn this put up and if I may just I want to suggest you few attention-grabbing issues or suggestions. Perhaps you could write subsequent articles regarding this article. I desire to learn even more things approximately it!

  7. Jackielug says:

    In our online broadside, we attempt to be your conscientious documentation into the latest dirt close by media personalities in Africa. We prove profitable one of a kind notoriety to readily covering the most akin events with regard to illustrious figures on this continent.

    Africa is rich in talents and incomparable voices that contours the cultural and community countryside of the continent. We blurry not lone on celebrities and showbiz stars but also on those who make significant contributions in various fields, be it adroitness, politics, realm, or philanthropy https://afriquestories.com/aicha-kone-partage-ses-reflexions-sur-la-relation/

    Our articles lay down readers with a thorough overview of what is happening in the lives of media personalities in Africa: from the latest dirt and events to analyzing their clout on society. We control run to earth of actors, musicians, politicians, athletes, and other celebrities to lay down you with the freshest dirt firsthand.

    Whether it’s an choice talk with with a cherished name, an questioning into outrageous events, or a rehashing of the latest trends in the African showbiz everybody, we strive to be your primary outset of press release back media personalities in Africa. Subscribe to our hand-out to arrest alert to around the hottest events and fascinating stories from this captivating continent.

  8. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on %meta_keyword%. Regards

  9. Attractive component of content. I simply stumbled upon your site and in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact loved account your weblog posts. Anyway I’ll be subscribing for your feeds and even I success you get entry to consistently quickly.

  10. Ykoklu says:

    zidovudine 300 mg tablet – buy irbesartan 150mg online cheap allopurinol online buy

  11. VictorWiz says:

    buy medicines online in india: buy medicines online in india – indian pharmacies safe

  12. I simply couldn’t go away your web site prior to suggesting that I extremely loved the standard info an individual provide on your guests? Is gonna be back often to inspect new posts

  13. Jackielug says:

    In our online broadside, we attempt to be your principled provenance for the latest scuttlebutt about media personalities in Africa. We pay staunch distinction to swiftly covering the most relevant events concerning pre-eminent figures on this continent.

    Africa is fecund in in talents and incomparable voices that make the cultural and collective landscape of the continent. We blurry not only on celebrities and showbiz stars but also on those who up significant contributions in diverse fields, be it knowledge, manoeuvring, body of knowledge, or philanthropy https://afriquestories.com/2024/page/12/

    Our articles equip readers with a encyclopaedic overview of what is chance in the lives of media personalities in Africa: from the latest news broadcast and events to analyzing their ascendancy on society. We persevere in spoor of actors, musicians, politicians, athletes, and other celebrities to lay down you with the freshest dirt firsthand.

    Whether it’s an limited examine with a cherished name, an investigation into scandalous events, or a scrutinize of the latest trends in the African showbiz world, we do one’s best to be your fundamental provenance of report forth media personalities in Africa. Subscribe to our broadside to stay informed about the hottest events and exciting stories from this captivating continent.

  14. What’s up friends, its great post about teachingand fully explained, keep it up all the time.

  15. JamieBab says:

    online pharmacy india: best india pharmacy – indian pharmacy

  16. Hey there! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this website? I’m getting tired of WordPress because I’ve had problems with hackers and I’m looking at alternatives for another platform. I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

  17. RobinSmody says:

    https://canadianpharm.guru/# canada drugs reviews

  18. Cinlue says:

    clozapine 100mg tablet – tritace pill purchase pepcid

  19. Thank you for every other informative blog. The place else may just I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now working on, and I have been on the glance out for such info.

  20. Shsaom says:

    clozapine 100mg canada – perindopril 4mg uk famotidine pills

  21. Vfbkcu says:

    where to buy retrovir without a prescription – order biaxsig generic zyloprim 100mg usa

  22. I am not sure where you’re getting your info, but good topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for fantastic info I was looking for this information for my mission.

  23. Jackielug says:

    In our online leaflet, we attempt to be your reliable start into the latest dirt nearly media personalities in Africa. We settle one of a kind attention to swiftly covering the most akin events as regards celebrated figures on this continent.

    Africa is well-heeled in talents and unique voices that hack the cultural and sexual countryside of the continent. We convergence not purely on celebrities and showbiz stars but also on those who up consequential contributions in diverse fields, be it art, civil affairs, body of knowledge, or philanthropy https://afriquestories.com/les-femmes-d-ici-nci-yasmine-reda-est-fierement/

    Our articles fix up with provision readers with a thorough overview of what is phenomenon in the lives of media personalities in Africa: from the latest dirt and events to analyzing their connections on society. We living run to earth of actors, musicians, politicians, athletes, and other celebrities to demand you with the freshest information firsthand.

    Whether it’s an choice interview with a cherished celeb, an investigation into licentious events, or a rehashing of the latest trends in the African showbiz world, we utmost to be your pre-eminent source of dirt about media personalities in Africa. Subscribe to our broadsheet to stay briefed about the hottest events and exciting stories from this captivating continent.

  24. You can certainly see your enthusiasm within the work you write. The arena hopes for more passionate writers such as you who are not afraid to mention how they believe. At all times go after your heart.

  25. VictorWiz says:

    mexican pharmaceuticals online: mexican mail order pharmacies – mexican rx online

  26. Currently it seems like WordPress is the preferred blogging platform out there right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

  27. Hi there, You have done an incredible job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am sure they will be benefited from this website.

  28. EdwardBioni says:

    https://aviatoroyna.bid/# aviator nas?l oynan?r
    aviator pin up pin-up casino indir pin-up giris

  29. FrankShelt says:

    sweet bonanza giris: sweet bonanza guncel – sweet bonanza giris

  30. Hurrah, that’s what I was exploring for, what a data! existing here at this blog, thanks admin of this site.

  31. I every time used to study paragraph in news papers but now as I am a user of net therefore from now I am using net for posts, thanks to web.

  32. What’s up, everything is going sound here and ofcourse every one is sharing data, that’s truly good, keep up writing.

  33. KeithRax says:

    https://slotsiteleri.guru/# en guvenilir slot siteleri

  34. Leharrafo says:

    Эти долбаные промокоды с казино зевс совершенно бесполезны ничего не работает.

  35. Very nice blog post. I absolutely love this website. Continue the good work!

  36. RaymondDar says:

    http://gatesofolympus.auction/# gates of olympus demo turkce oyna
    aviator aviator oyna 100 tl aviator sinyal hilesi

  37. I’ll right away seize your rss feed as I can not to find your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Please let me recognize in order that I may just subscribe. Thanks.

  38. Williamraw says:

    slot oyunlar? siteleri: deneme veren slot siteleri – deneme bonusu veren siteler

  39. WalterWaf says:

    Даркнет заказать
    Присутствие скрытых интернет-площадок – это событие, который вызывает великий заинтересованность и разговоры в нынешнем окружении. Скрытая сторона сети, или подпольная область интернета, является закрытую сеть, доступные только путем соответствующие программы а конфигурации, гарантирующие инкогнито пользовательских аккаунтов. По данной данной приватной конструкции находятся скрытые интернет-площадки – интернет-ресурсы, где бы торговля различные товары а услуги, чаще всего незаконного типа.

    По даркнет-маркетах можно отыскать самые различные продуктовые товары: наркотики, стрелковое оружие, украденные данные, взломанные учетные записи, фальшивые документы и и многое многое другое. Такие рынки иногда магнетизирузивают заинтересованность и также правонарушителей, так и рядовых пользовательских аккаунтов, хотящих обходить закон или даже доступить к товарам а услугам, какие именно на обыденном всемирной сети могли бы быть недосягаемы.

    Впрочем важно помнить, чем практика в скрытых интернет-площадках является неправомерный тип или способна повлечь за собой серьезные правовые наказания. Правоохранительные органы настойчиво сопротивляются противостоят такими рынками, и все же вследствие неузнаваемости темной стороны интернета это далеко не все время без проблем.

    В результате, присутствие подпольных онлайн-рынков является действительностью, и все же они останавливаются зоной важных опасностей как для таких, так и для пользователей, а также для таких, как общественности во в общем.

  40. I am sure this article has touched all the internet visitors, its really really fastidious article on building up new webpage.

  41. FrankShelt says:

    pin up casino giris: pin up giris – pin up 7/24 giris

  42. JosephOxing says:

    Промокод 1xbet при регистрации по увеличению бонуса до 32500 рублей на первый депозит активируется бесплатно, заполнив поле “Промокод” официальным ключевым словом в регистрационном меню при создании аккаунта: Войти в 1xbet.com. промокод на сегодня в 1хбет бесплатную ставку: 1XFREE777 Получить промокоды на сегодня без регистрации в 1xBet можно на сайте, где незарегистрированным пользователям предлагается ввести промо «1XFREE777». Создание аккаунта в БК – это обязательный процесс для активации промокода на ставки и использования других функций. Бесплатный промокод для 1xBet на сегодня. Использование промокода 1xBet дает возможность получить подарок от букмекера. Обычно рабочий promo code «1xБет» располагается в соцсетях или же на партнерских ресурсах.Промокод при регистрации дает право на бонус. Для этого требуется пройти регистрацию и внести на баланс не меньше 100 рублей. Также необходимо в личном профиле заполнить все обязательные поля – более подробно в этом материале http://saratovturizm.ru/interesting/pages/promo_kod_bk_1xbet_na_segodnya_pri_registracii.html

  43. MichaelOxing says:

    Промокод 1xbet при регистрации по увеличению бонуса до 32500 рублей на первый депозит активируется бесплатно, заполнив поле “Промокод” официальным ключевым словом в регистрационном меню при создании аккаунта: Войти в 1xbet.com. как получить промокод 1хбет на сегодня бесплатно: 1XFREE777 Получить промокоды на сегодня без регистрации в 1xBet можно на сайте, где незарегистрированным пользователям предлагается ввести промо «1XFREE777». Создание аккаунта в БК – это обязательный процесс для активации промокода на ставки и использования других функций. Бесплатный промокод для 1xBet на сегодня. Использование промокода 1xBet дает возможность получить подарок от букмекера. Обычно рабочий promo code «1xБет» располагается в соцсетях или же на партнерских ресурсах.Промокод при регистрации дает право на бонус. Для этого требуется пройти регистрацию и внести на баланс не меньше 100 рублей. Также необходимо в личном профиле заполнить все обязательные поля – более подробно в этом материале http://saratovturizm.ru/interesting/pages/promo_kod_bk_1xbet_na_segodnya_pri_registracii.html

  44. ThomasOxing says:

    Промокод при регистрации в 1xbet сегодня. Этой акцией может воспользоваться каждый новый клиент при регистрации на сайте букмекера. Это ваше преимущество со старта, и у 1xbet есть эксклюзивное предложение. куда вводить промокод в 1хбет в приложении. В форме регистрации есть всего одно необязательное поле — как раз для ввода промокода. Как получить промокод на бесплатную ставку. Магазин находится во вкладке xBonus (в перечне вкладок верхнего блока). Вам предложат несколько вариантов для обмена баллов на промокоды 1xbet kz. Код можно получить для ставки ординар, для ставки экспресс, а также для лотерей от «1хБет». На сегодня промокод 1xbet бесплатно найти можно без особых затрат энергии, при этом сделать это следующим образом: Путем поиска в сети интернет; На сайтах, специализирующихся на спортивных ставках (Не ресурсы БК); В официальных сообществах 1хБет (соцсети). Представители БК часто выкладывают в группах или же просто в сети промокоды на 1xbet бесплатно в честь какого-то праздника либо же грядущего крупного спортивного турнира. Все промокоды 1xbet 2024. На официальном сайте букмекера в соответствующей рубрике находится полный перечень промокодов 1xbet 2024, бесплатно получить которые можно обменяв на них бонусные баллы – более подробно в этом материале http://saratovturizm.ru/interesting/pages/promo_kod_bk_1xbet_na_segodnya_pri_registracii.html

  45. Robertgline says:

    http://aviatoroyna.bid/# aviator sinyal hilesi ücretsiz

  46. Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it’s really informative. I’m going to watch out for brussels. I will be grateful if you continue this in future. Many people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *