BootsnAll Travel Network



Feb 16-19: Vietnam:Hanoi

masoleaum.jpg

Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum – huge open space in front of the mausoleum – very tight regulations – line up in 2 lines, no talking, hats off, no shorts, need sleeve shirt, move slowly, guards every corner – only open for a couple of hours a day, huge lines (we got there right at closing), you shuffle through a darkly lit halway into the viewing chamber (no cameras allowd) and lo and behold – there lies the embalmed body of Ho Chi Minh – quite surreal experience.  They usually take him out once a year to Russia to get re-embalmed. 

Hanoi, Vietnam   The Paradox:  liberal capitalism with socialistic politics

We arrived here a little breathless and unplanned after our all night bus ride and visa issues in Thailand. So when we took a taxi from the airport into downtown Hanoi, we had no idea where we were going or where we were staying, other than that we wanted to be in the Old Quarter. Upon arriving in the Old Quarter, we could see that walking around looking for a hotel, with five of us trundling our backpacks along was going to be impossible. The streets are incredibly narrow, and FULL, (and I mean FULL, from one side of the street to other!) with motorcycles – all of them beeping their horns! I hope our pictures can show this, although pictures can never capture the cacophony!  We decided to have the taxi drop us off at a hotel we’d read about in our guidebook. When we pulled up to the hotel, someone ran out, asked if we had a booking, and hearing we didn’t, told us they were full. But, what do you know, they had another hotel that had space! We realized later we were being had by the oldest trick in the book, but this other hotel worked out great – soft beds, warm comforters, clean …and $15US per room! We’ve seen sights in Hanoi, but my favorite sightseeing is just watching the city go by. It’s amazing it all works! The streets are literally full of cars and motorbikes all day long. Shops spill out onto the “sidewalk” and shopkeepers and their friends or family (?) sit out on the sidewalk on these little plastic stools that would fit about ONE of my buns (no comments please!) At night, there are wide swatches of sidewalk set aside as “bia hoi” stalls, where men mostly sit and drink warm beer in ice-filled glasses, all perched on these little plastic stools.

It feels strange to think that technically we’re in a “Communist” or at least socialist country. Capitalism is alive and well here, as evidenced by all the stuff that’s offered for sale! But there are still a fair number of billboards with a hammer and sickle, and the Vietnamese star. Ho Chi Minh is still revered and referred to as “Uncle Ho.” We went to see his mausoleum, which could almost be called a “pilgrimage” to Vietnamese, at least here in the north. It was quite an experience in Social Studies!…

We also went to see Hoa Lo Prison, which is where John McCain was held and was known as the “Hanoi Hilton” during the war. The Vietnam War war here is called the “American War,” which makes sense if you think about it. Not much of the prison is left standing. It’s been razed to build a skyscraper called the Hanoi Towers. However, they did preserve the main gate and a section of cell blocks which has been made into a museum. There really wasn’t a lot about the American prisoners here. Most of the museum was about the Vietnamese who were incarcerated here during the French colonization of Vietnam. The prison was originally built by the French to incarcerate hundreds of Vietnamese revolutionaries who were fighting for freedom from the French. There was only one room dedicated to the American soldiers who were held here during the war, and it definitely had a certain slant to it, as it was depicted as a really quite pleasant place to be!

Governors residence of IndoChina

pp-21.jpg

Ho Chi Minh REsidence – he like the simplicity of life – not in the big mansion above – Frank Loyd Wright would have liked the wood work

hcm-living.jpg

French leftover – church – not kept up very well, but there is a thriving Catholic Community here

church.jpg

Temple of Literature:  This was basically a university for the study of philosphy, law, and literature dating back to 1070. They studied Confucious  teachings for feudal society in the orderly flow and ethical behavior of gentlemen – with respect to education self, organizing family, governing state, and ruling all nations.   And he wrote this back in 50 BC. A fabulous place to think of all the “learning going on”.

lit-3.jpglit-7.jpglit-21.jpg

These are called stelea – basically like a PH Diploma – it has there name, what they studied, etc on it once they passed their exams and the final exam given by the king. There were 13 thousand students that passed.  The turtle is an important symbol with the Vietnamese people.

lit-1.jpg

The Phoenix is also an important symbol and is represented in the temples.

lit-5.jpglit-4.jpg

Museum of Enthology – explains all the different people groups, language, culture, dress, occupations – outside they had these huge models set up that showed how they lived.  This was the meeting hall.

museum.jpg

HaLo Prison – aka – “Hanoi Hilton” as named by the US prisoners of war – the prison camp that the US airmen were housed in – including Senator John McCain.  This prison was built by the French and where they kept Vietnamese prisoners that were fighting against the French.  Most of the prison exhibits described the fight for Vietnamese independence from the French and the atrocities that they committed.  My camera gave out so we did not get many pictures including the guillitine.  What you see is only a portion of the prison that was saved for historical purposes, but the other half there now sits a hotel – ironically named Hanoi HIlton Towers.  Vietnam has a long history trying to get their independance – from the Chinese and the French – Ho Chi Minh was first trying to unify Vietnam by getting rid of the French – he actually wrote to 2 US presidents for help but got no reply – had communistic leanings – when independance was  declared he was the ruling party in the north, but there was a catholic president in the south who did not want to become communist – there lies the fighting and US involvement.  Vietnam has always in their history had a north – south type of split.

prison-61.jpgprison-7.jpgprison-1.jpgprison-2.jpgprison-1a.jpgprison-1b.jpgprison-3.jpgprison-4.jpg

Didn’t mean for this to come right after the prison pictures – Just Sayings –

bathroom-2.jpg

This sign is showing those individuals that have not used a “western” toilet how to do it.  The kids are liking Vietnam because they have western toilets (not squat pots or sometimes referred to as starting blocks), and they all have toilet paper rather than the perverbial hose with water.

bathroom.jpg

Sights of Hanoi in the old quarter – each street is named for the wares that are being sold on that street – totaly a crazy place with no traffic rules – we finally got the hang of how to cross a street -don’t stop, they will go around you – bicylces, cars, motorbikes – 2.5 million motorbikes in Hanoi with only a population of 4 million – following pictures are just street life – the most fascinating aspect of Hanoi (capital of Vietnam)

sights-9g.jpgsights-4.jpgsights-4.jpgsights-1.jpgsights-9f.jpgsights-3.jpgsights-5.jpgsights-6.jpgsights-7.jpgsights-8.jpgsights-9.jpgsights-9a.jpgsights-9b.jpgsights-9c.jpg

The favorite pasttime – sitting around on little stools eating, but mostly drinking cheap beer in plactic glasses with ice. –

sights-9e.jpg 



Tags:

26,077 responses to “Feb 16-19: Vietnam:Hanoi”

  1. You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and extremely broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

  2. Heya! I know this is kind of off-topic however I needed to ask. Does managing a well-established blog like yours require a lot of work? I am brand new to blogging but I do write in my diary on a daily basis. I’d like to start a blog so I will be able to share my experience and thoughts online. Please let me know if you have any ideas or tips for new aspiring bloggers. Appreciate it!

  3. RickyPooto says:

    mexico drug stores pharmacies mexican pharmacy medicine in mexico pharmacies

  4. razumgogo says:

    консультациЯ психолога https://w-495.ru/

  5. MarcelQuamb says:

    https://canadaph24.pro/# pharmacy com canada

  6. Itftcp says:

    purchase nizoral generic – purchase sporanox pill cheap sporanox 100 mg

  7. Pedroton says:

    mexico pharmacies prescription drugs: mexican border pharmacies shipping to usa – purple pharmacy mexico price list

  8. EldonBem says:

    27-го июля был проведён первый тест эффективности XRumer 23 StrongAI (по сравнению с текущей версией XRumer 19.0.18), который показал двадцатикратный прирост. Столь впечатляющие результаты достигнуты благодаря многократному улучшению пробиваемости уже известных платформ, добавлению поддержки новых платформ, обучению сотням тысяч типов новых тексткапч, внедрению нового GPT-модуля, и множеству других улучшений. По ссылке ниже Вы сможете изучить и скачать детали теста (исходная база, кусок отчёта, статистику и другие подробности)

    Спасибо за рефку:
    http://www.botmasterru.com/product109120/

  9. StephenPam says:

    В современном мире, где диплом – это начало отличной карьеры в любой сфере, многие ищут максимально простой путь получения качественного образования. Наличие документа об образовании трудно переоценить. Ведь диплом открывает двери перед любым человеком, который стремится начать профессиональную деятельность или продолжить обучение в высшем учебном заведении.
    В данном контексте наша компания предлагает максимально быстро получить любой необходимый документ. Вы сможете купить диплом, и это будет отличным решением для всех, кто не смог завершить образование, утратил документ или хочет исправить свои оценки. Любой диплом изготавливается аккуратно, с максимальным вниманием к мельчайшим нюансам, чтобы в результате получился 100% оригинальный документ.
    Превосходство подобного решения состоит не только в том, что вы оперативно получите диплом. Весь процесс организовывается удобно, с нашей поддержкой. Начиная от выбора подходящего образца до консультаций по заполнению личных данных и доставки в любое место России — все находится под абсолютным контролем опытных специалистов.
    Всем, кто ищет быстрый способ получения необходимого документа, наша компания предлагает отличное решение. Приобрести диплом – это значит избежать продолжительного обучения и не теряя времени переходить к достижению личных целей, будь то поступление в университет или начало успешной карьеры.

    https://diploman-rossiya.com

  10. RickyPooto says:

    mexican mail order pharmacies buying from online mexican pharmacy purple pharmacy mexico price list

  11. It is not my first time to visit this website, i am browsing this web site dailly and take pleasant information from here every day.

  12. MarcelQuamb says:

    http://indiaph24.store/# cheapest online pharmacy india

  13. ScottIders says:

    Rolex watches
    Understanding COSC Accreditation and Its Importance in Horology
    COSC Validation and its Strict Standards
    Controle Officiel Suisse des Chronometres, or the Controle Officiel Suisse des Chronometres, is the official Switzerland testing agency that verifies the accuracy and accuracy of timepieces. COSC certification is a mark of superior craftsmanship and dependability in chronometry. Not all timepiece brands pursue COSC accreditation, such as Hublot, which instead adheres to its proprietary strict criteria with mechanisms like the UNICO calibre, attaining similar accuracy.

    The Art of Precision Chronometry
    The central mechanism of a mechanical watch involves the mainspring, which provides power as it unwinds. This mechanism, however, can be susceptible to external elements that may impact its accuracy. COSC-validated movements undergo rigorous testing—over 15 days in various conditions (five positions, three temperatures)—to ensure their resilience and reliability. The tests evaluate:

    Mean daily rate precision between -4 and +6 secs.
    Mean variation, peak variation levels, and impacts of thermal changes.
    Why COSC Validation Matters
    For timepiece aficionados and connoisseurs, a COSC-accredited timepiece isn’t just a piece of tech but a proof to enduring quality and accuracy. It represents a timepiece that:

    Provides exceptional reliability and accuracy.
    Provides guarantee of quality across the complete construction of the watch.
    Is apt to maintain its value more efficiently, making it a sound choice.
    Famous Chronometer Brands
    Several well-known manufacturers prioritize COSC validation for their timepieces, including Rolex, Omega, Breitling, and Longines, among others. Longines, for instance, presents collections like the Archive and Soul, which feature COSC-validated mechanisms equipped with innovative substances like silicon balance springs to improve resilience and efficiency.

    Historical Context and the Development of Timepieces
    The notion of the chronometer originates back to the requirement for accurate chronometry for navigational at sea, highlighted by John Harrison’s work in the eighteenth century. Since the formal foundation of COSC in 1973, the accreditation has become a yardstick for evaluating the accuracy of luxury watches, maintaining a legacy of excellence in horology.

    Conclusion
    Owning a COSC-certified timepiece is more than an aesthetic selection; it’s a commitment to excellence and precision. For those valuing accuracy above all, the COSC accreditation provides tranquility of mind, ensuring that each accredited watch will perform dependably under various conditions. Whether for individual satisfaction or as an investment, COSC-certified timepieces distinguish themselves in the world of watchmaking, maintaining on a tradition of precise timekeeping.

  14. Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely great. I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you’re saying and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it smart. I cant wait to read far more from you. This is actually a terrific website.

  15. DavidStend says:

    buy generic propecia no prescription cost of cheap propecia no prescription buying cheap propecia price

  16. WilliamRig says:

    https://nolvadex.life/# tamoxifen hormone therapy

  17. Randalldeamp says:

    lisinopril 40 mg brand name: 3 lisinopril – lisinopril tablets for sale

  18. GeorgeOxing says:

    Однако, существует возможность увеличить размер этого бонуса с помощью промокода betwinner. При использовании этого кода при регистрации, приветственный бонус увеличится на 30%. То есть, если игрок пополнил свой счет на 10 евро и использовал промокод, то его бонус составит уже 13 евро.
    https://vsiknygy.net.ua/wp-content/pages/betwinner_promokod_2020.html

  19. Gdjujj says:

    buy famciclovir 500mg generic – order acyclovir 800mg online buy valcivir 1000mg generic

  20. LiamOxing says:

    Промокод при регистрации в 1xbet сегодня. Этой акцией может воспользоваться каждый новый клиент при регистрации на сайте букмекера. Это ваше преимущество со старта, и у 1xbet есть эксклюзивное предложение. рабочий промокод 1xbet. В форме регистрации есть всего одно необязательное поле — как раз для ввода промокода. Как получить промокод на бесплатную ставку. Магазин находится во вкладке xBonus (в перечне вкладок верхнего блока). Вам предложат несколько вариантов для обмена баллов на промокоды 1xbet kz. Код можно получить для ставки ординар, для ставки экспресс, а также для лотерей от «1хБет». На сегодня промокод 1xbet бесплатно найти можно без особых затрат энергии, при этом сделать это следующим образом: Путем поиска в сети интернет; На сайтах, специализирующихся на спортивных ставках (Не ресурсы БК); В официальных сообществах 1хБет (соцсети). Представители БК часто выкладывают в группах или же просто в сети промокоды на 1xbet бесплатно в честь какого-то праздника либо же грядущего крупного спортивного турнира. Все промокоды 1xbet 2024. На официальном сайте букмекера в соответствующей рубрике находится полный перечень промокодов 1xbet 2024, бесплатно получить которые можно обменяв на них бонусные баллы – более подробно в этом материале http://blagoverie.org/news/pages/promokod_288.html

  21. JamesOxing says:

    Промокод 1xbet при регистрации по увеличению бонуса до 32500 рублей на первый депозит активируется бесплатно, заполнив поле “Промокод” официальным ключевым словом в регистрационном меню при создании аккаунта: Войти в 1xbet.com. 1xbet промокод бонус: 1XFREE777 Получить промокоды на сегодня без регистрации в 1xBet можно на сайте, где незарегистрированным пользователям предлагается ввести промо «1XFREE777». Создание аккаунта в БК – это обязательный процесс для активации промокода на ставки и использования других функций. Бесплатный промокод для 1xBet на сегодня. Использование промокода 1xBet дает возможность получить подарок от букмекера. Обычно рабочий promo code «1xБет» располагается в соцсетях или же на партнерских ресурсах.Промокод при регистрации дает право на бонус. Для этого требуется пройти регистрацию и внести на баланс не меньше 100 рублей. Также необходимо в личном профиле заполнить все обязательные поля – более подробно в этом материале http://santehnika-svoimirukami.ru/wp-content/pages/effekty_frakcionnogo_lazernogo_lecheniya.html

  22. CharlieOxing says:

    Бесплатный промокод в 1xBet для бесплатной ставки на сегодня. 1хБет – один из популярнейших букмекеров на территории РФ и Европы. Оператор регулярно обновляет акционные предложения для только пришедших и постоянных пользователей, предоставляя возможность заработать на беттинге. 1хбет промокод. Согласно условиям клиенты, впервые зарегистрировавшиеся на площадке, могут получить промокод на бесплатную ставку. Коды выдаются непосредственно оператором. При создании аккаунта беттер предоставляет номер телефона. На него приходит код. Воспользовавшись последним, можно сделать фрибет и получить реальный доход. Это сделать просто, если иметь промокод 1xbet на сегодня бесплатно. Правда, дается он при условии выполнения некоторых правил. 1xbet бонус при регистрации. Не совсем промокод, но вы все равно ставите не свои деньги, если пополните депозит, – 100% бонуса от внесенной суммы. Максимум указан в верхней части главной страницы официального сайта – более подробно в этом материале http://vlad-news.ru/index.php/novosti-vladivostoka/5615-na-voennom-poligone-vzorvalos-svyshe-sotni

  23. Vztrtu says:

    buy lanoxin 250 mg generic – order lasix without prescription order lasix

  24. What’s up it’s me, I am also visiting this web page regularly, this website is really good and the viewers are actually sharing pleasant thoughts.

  25. Jqetkz says:

    order digoxin 250 mg – dipyridamole 25mg drug order furosemide 40mg

  26. Ebhoun says:

    purchase famciclovir online cheap – valaciclovir 500mg oral oral valaciclovir 500mg

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *