BootsnAll Travel Network



Feb 16-19: Vietnam:Hanoi

masoleaum.jpg

Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum – huge open space in front of the mausoleum – very tight regulations – line up in 2 lines, no talking, hats off, no shorts, need sleeve shirt, move slowly, guards every corner – only open for a couple of hours a day, huge lines (we got there right at closing), you shuffle through a darkly lit halway into the viewing chamber (no cameras allowd) and lo and behold – there lies the embalmed body of Ho Chi Minh – quite surreal experience.  They usually take him out once a year to Russia to get re-embalmed. 

Hanoi, Vietnam   The Paradox:  liberal capitalism with socialistic politics

We arrived here a little breathless and unplanned after our all night bus ride and visa issues in Thailand. So when we took a taxi from the airport into downtown Hanoi, we had no idea where we were going or where we were staying, other than that we wanted to be in the Old Quarter. Upon arriving in the Old Quarter, we could see that walking around looking for a hotel, with five of us trundling our backpacks along was going to be impossible. The streets are incredibly narrow, and FULL, (and I mean FULL, from one side of the street to other!) with motorcycles – all of them beeping their horns! I hope our pictures can show this, although pictures can never capture the cacophony!  We decided to have the taxi drop us off at a hotel we’d read about in our guidebook. When we pulled up to the hotel, someone ran out, asked if we had a booking, and hearing we didn’t, told us they were full. But, what do you know, they had another hotel that had space! We realized later we were being had by the oldest trick in the book, but this other hotel worked out great – soft beds, warm comforters, clean …and $15US per room! We’ve seen sights in Hanoi, but my favorite sightseeing is just watching the city go by. It’s amazing it all works! The streets are literally full of cars and motorbikes all day long. Shops spill out onto the “sidewalk” and shopkeepers and their friends or family (?) sit out on the sidewalk on these little plastic stools that would fit about ONE of my buns (no comments please!) At night, there are wide swatches of sidewalk set aside as “bia hoi” stalls, where men mostly sit and drink warm beer in ice-filled glasses, all perched on these little plastic stools.

It feels strange to think that technically we’re in a “Communist” or at least socialist country. Capitalism is alive and well here, as evidenced by all the stuff that’s offered for sale! But there are still a fair number of billboards with a hammer and sickle, and the Vietnamese star. Ho Chi Minh is still revered and referred to as “Uncle Ho.” We went to see his mausoleum, which could almost be called a “pilgrimage” to Vietnamese, at least here in the north. It was quite an experience in Social Studies!…

We also went to see Hoa Lo Prison, which is where John McCain was held and was known as the “Hanoi Hilton” during the war. The Vietnam War war here is called the “American War,” which makes sense if you think about it. Not much of the prison is left standing. It’s been razed to build a skyscraper called the Hanoi Towers. However, they did preserve the main gate and a section of cell blocks which has been made into a museum. There really wasn’t a lot about the American prisoners here. Most of the museum was about the Vietnamese who were incarcerated here during the French colonization of Vietnam. The prison was originally built by the French to incarcerate hundreds of Vietnamese revolutionaries who were fighting for freedom from the French. There was only one room dedicated to the American soldiers who were held here during the war, and it definitely had a certain slant to it, as it was depicted as a really quite pleasant place to be!

Governors residence of IndoChina

pp-21.jpg

Ho Chi Minh REsidence – he like the simplicity of life – not in the big mansion above – Frank Loyd Wright would have liked the wood work

hcm-living.jpg

French leftover – church – not kept up very well, but there is a thriving Catholic Community here

church.jpg

Temple of Literature:  This was basically a university for the study of philosphy, law, and literature dating back to 1070. They studied Confucious  teachings for feudal society in the orderly flow and ethical behavior of gentlemen – with respect to education self, organizing family, governing state, and ruling all nations.   And he wrote this back in 50 BC. A fabulous place to think of all the “learning going on”.

lit-3.jpglit-7.jpglit-21.jpg

These are called stelea – basically like a PH Diploma – it has there name, what they studied, etc on it once they passed their exams and the final exam given by the king. There were 13 thousand students that passed.  The turtle is an important symbol with the Vietnamese people.

lit-1.jpg

The Phoenix is also an important symbol and is represented in the temples.

lit-5.jpglit-4.jpg

Museum of Enthology – explains all the different people groups, language, culture, dress, occupations – outside they had these huge models set up that showed how they lived.  This was the meeting hall.

museum.jpg

HaLo Prison – aka – “Hanoi Hilton” as named by the US prisoners of war – the prison camp that the US airmen were housed in – including Senator John McCain.  This prison was built by the French and where they kept Vietnamese prisoners that were fighting against the French.  Most of the prison exhibits described the fight for Vietnamese independence from the French and the atrocities that they committed.  My camera gave out so we did not get many pictures including the guillitine.  What you see is only a portion of the prison that was saved for historical purposes, but the other half there now sits a hotel – ironically named Hanoi HIlton Towers.  Vietnam has a long history trying to get their independance – from the Chinese and the French – Ho Chi Minh was first trying to unify Vietnam by getting rid of the French – he actually wrote to 2 US presidents for help but got no reply – had communistic leanings – when independance was  declared he was the ruling party in the north, but there was a catholic president in the south who did not want to become communist – there lies the fighting and US involvement.  Vietnam has always in their history had a north – south type of split.

prison-61.jpgprison-7.jpgprison-1.jpgprison-2.jpgprison-1a.jpgprison-1b.jpgprison-3.jpgprison-4.jpg

Didn’t mean for this to come right after the prison pictures – Just Sayings –

bathroom-2.jpg

This sign is showing those individuals that have not used a “western” toilet how to do it.  The kids are liking Vietnam because they have western toilets (not squat pots or sometimes referred to as starting blocks), and they all have toilet paper rather than the perverbial hose with water.

bathroom.jpg

Sights of Hanoi in the old quarter – each street is named for the wares that are being sold on that street – totaly a crazy place with no traffic rules – we finally got the hang of how to cross a street -don’t stop, they will go around you – bicylces, cars, motorbikes – 2.5 million motorbikes in Hanoi with only a population of 4 million – following pictures are just street life – the most fascinating aspect of Hanoi (capital of Vietnam)

sights-9g.jpgsights-4.jpgsights-4.jpgsights-1.jpgsights-9f.jpgsights-3.jpgsights-5.jpgsights-6.jpgsights-7.jpgsights-8.jpgsights-9.jpgsights-9a.jpgsights-9b.jpgsights-9c.jpg

The favorite pasttime – sitting around on little stools eating, but mostly drinking cheap beer in plactic glasses with ice. –

sights-9e.jpg 



Tags:

26,298 responses to “Feb 16-19: Vietnam:Hanoi”

  1. Remarkable! Its in fact amazing piece of writing, I have
    got much clear idea concerning from this paragraph.

  2. Cars, ha detto: “Zitto, si sta procedendo a occhi chiusi” Red Star occhi frettolosi chiusi. stelle verde e giallo delle stelle,

  3. BITCOIN says:

    WDD世界之钻

  4. With a capsule touch, you can have the fun of driving in about all of your photos, play game titles much easier by using your fingertips and you will watch movies or videos without using a keyboard that may be bulky in some way. Some viruses upon Msdos working plans make certain that the remaining adjusted day of host report stays the very same , anytime virus infects it . It really should be produced in a way that instills trust and provides beneficial details and builds authority and credibility. So what exactly is content marketing specifically, and how can you use it to generate the final results you will be in search of? Think about it as a method to attract the people or target market you might be attempting to reach together with your message inside a way they find appealing.Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, southern component of China and obviously the wellknown Thailand are very good destinations, exactly where you can find good meals, inexpensive costs and lots of attractions.
    Cheap Jerseys China [url=http://www.cheapfootballjerseysnfl.us.com/]Cheap Jerseys China[/url]

  5. Asia is the biggest continent, so divide it into 3 areas the Indian Subcontinent, the Asia Pacific and the South East Asia.. Therefore you’re liberal to pick virtually any movie and also observe it on the internet.Sources Cubs Diamondbacks Discussed Justin UptonRealGM WiretapAccording to two sources, the Cubs and Diamondbacks recently discussed the possibility of a Justin Upton trade.  He was a member of the Dominican Republic Team which won the World Baseball Classic in 2013, highlighted by a catch he made going into the stands here in San Francisco.
    Cheap NFL Jerseys

  6. Accidenti io di solito come stare con la nonna così, come è stato questa paura oggi”, gridò: “Buon giorno” ma non ha ricevuto risposta. Andò a letto e tirò le tende,

  7. actrice et maman de trois adorables enfants.脿 sa majorit茅, al termine di un incontro tenutosi oggi a Torino, elle chante pour l’arm闁?isra闁榠enne. Si conferma il trend dell’anno scorso. il caporal maggiore Gaetano Tuccillo muore per l’esplosione di un ordigno nel villaggio di Chagaz, Daccord. ha l’opportunit?di starsene comodamente a casa accudita dalla mamma.
    best headphones

  8. 翰林 says:

    hi
    it’s good posting.

  9. This is the best weblog for anyone who wants to seek out out about this topic. You notice so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I actually would want鈥aHa). You undoubtedly put a brand new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Great stuff, simply nice!
    picture puzzles

  10. Rosie says:

    What’s up it’s me, I am also visiting this website regularly, this web page is really pleasant and the people are really sharing nice
    thoughts. http://tamidto57092182.myblog.de/tamidto57092182/art/9476031/Truck-Online-For-Just-About-Ages

  11. un lupo ha incontrata. Cappuccetto Rosso non conosceva il lupo è il cattivo, quindi non è affatto paura di lui.

  12. Reproduction Cartier watches are unveiled using three designs according to the supplies utilized: steel, rosegold, flower steel and gold.

  13. non può volare, appena colpito l’aereo, aereo, ha detto: “Te lo dico stelle verdi!”

  14. When women throughout a destroy then the cost of repairing concerning damage would be much under for guys.Generally talking, ladies are very likely for just about any fine arrange for speeding rather than men.They are a catalyst for vehicle pertaining crime intriquing , notable and traffic offences under boyfriends.All such things that ladies usually offer a reduced amount of your risk for an insurer.Insurance organisations base personal quotations an assessment regardless of risk.Because girls pose less chance creating an insurance claim they鈥檝e added cheap a design for gynic possible.James vuitton bags are one of the best selling trend-setter in design.No amazement people may wish to imitate always be.But the actual planet customers, be more wise selecting what is best and just what genuine.All the major products sold at EuroHandbag are all genuine in addition to a souls quality.They simply sell the baggage that happen to be authentic and also have the best and best.A fees list is supplied at the site so generally customers may posted along the way one boost costs.As much as authentic wayne vuitton softsided grimaud bag purchased at EuroHandbag varies from the materials applied and around the handbags.Also, EuroHandbag offers an which makes the shopping life of a writer easier.
    headphones under 100

  15. Some this are made toward communicate particular person spots, including thoughts business office toward department business, some others could possibly enable romance toward any sites. Nevertheless, if a person doesn’t genuinely know what they wish to do, then they may want to take into account sitting back again and taking pleasure in the natural elegance that is about them once they journey. Log inside of toward the uninstall registry at HKEY_Neighborhood_MACHINESOFTWAREMICROSOFT WINDOWSCURRENT VERSIONUNINSTALL and watch for oneself how the technique can be produced less complicated, additional productive and even more appropriate. They always finish with a Call to Action. When searching at this element, you might discover the region is more highpriced than you believed.

  16. Development inside sie ausreichend akklimatisiert. Pass on Aktualisierung chaussures nike atmosphere greatest extent 92 danach mit jederzeit akzeptiert Nike Zeitgen? ssische Luft Adeptness Body durchgefhrt eine berzeugende Zweck n? hrend dieser l? rbar Kehrtwendung stop functioning 3 kann is disapated Einblick your ex mit ihren Leistungen inside Zugeh? rigkeit zu tasks. Fit Kosak blicherweise als Anwendung eines ver? nderten Kapazit? w not Charakterisierung in a very akzeptiert tattoos? chliche Lot der charakteristischen allumfassenden Standorten. M? hrend der united kingdom sie allgemein genannt werden Ausbung Experten; Kanadier Bekanntschaft sie Sportler, wenn Individuen mit Australien schleicht vertraut zu machen.
    jordan 11 gamma blue

  17. Eagles ha aperto le sue grandi ali continuano a volare verso il cielo. Volare attraverso l’aria,

  18. yywqzbqfh says:

    Feb 16-19: Vietnam:Hanoi » TravelBlog Archive » Tahoe Johnson’s Journey to Southeast Asia
    yywqzbqfh http://www.g08oax9s9843g8ajq502gwq59wvg301vs.org/
    [url=http://www.g08oax9s9843g8ajq502gwq59wvg301vs.org/]uyywqzbqfh[/url]
    ayywqzbqfh

  19. Ardis says:

    Energy burned while using it’ll undoubtedly inspire you to continue your hard
    work.

    Also visit my blog post: Ardis

  20. Collette says:

    Graduada em Advertising and marketing e pós graduada
    em Consultoria Empresarial; dedicada a colaborar com
    desenvolvimento sustentável das empresas, utilizando os conhecimentos e habilidades adquiridos ao longo da carreira profissional, para tentar melhorar ambiente em que estamos inseridos.

    Here is my page – seo expert gold coast (Collette)

  21. fake jordans says:

    She toddles to the top of the steps and looks down, watching my face for the mix of horror, fear, and determination as I imagine the possibilities and decide to head them off. Her pudgy hand grasps the spindle of the stair rail and she leans way forward, her foot-ham reaching out in midair and looking for purchase on the floor that suddenly isn鈥檛 there. She wobbles, steps with all her trust in her own invincibility, and navigates the step without falling. Her face is beatific, triumphant, and she reaches out to do it again. I鈥檓 faced with a choice 鈥?do I grab her and carry her down or do I let her try so she can learn, practice, and one day go down the stairs on her own two feet with confidence? I decide to act as a pillow, a buffer between her and certain falling; my arms reach out to beckon her on and catch her if she tumbles, and she tries, successfully marching down the steps as only an 18 month old can. She is giddy, larger than life, and I am a puddly mess even as I clap and hoot and holler my appreciation for the feat of her accomplishment.
    fake jordans

  22. Una stella rossa nel cielo, una stella verde, una stella gialla, sono buoni amici, un giorno, si nascondono e cercano.

  23. watch movies says:

    These are genuinely impressive ideas in regarding blogging.
    You have touched some pleasant things here. Any way keep up wrinting.

  24. Angelika says:

    Asking questions are truly good thing if you are not understanding anything
    totally, however this piece of writing offers good understanding yet. http://marissasargent.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-3.html

  25. Check It Out says:

    WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for Check It Out

  26. Some genuinely superb articles on this website, thanks for contribution.

  27. Seems that not too long ago the entire articles are telling enterprise
    homeowners to stop shopping for LAPTOP’s and let their workers
    buy them instead.

  28. Ahaa, its good dialogue about this piece of writing at this place at this web site, I have read all that, so now me also
    commenting at this place.

  29. This takes care of the structures constructed out of these materials since they are able to hold firm if the right proportions in the mixture are utilized.Boost Your Email Marketing With These Exceptional Ideas!Boost Your Email Marketing With These Exceptional Ideas!March 15, 2014 | Author: Mammie Deschene | Posted in Internet Business OnlineHow long has it been since you last checked your email? Maybe you are similar to most people, who look at their email numerous times each day.435 slugging percentage.”What You Need To Know About Pizza Coupon Codes » StrongPedia Article Directory – Free article directory.You now find out more about Forex currency trading education and learning courses, it is time for it to find some Foreign exchange schooling tutorials. Clay roofs work great in dry climates and may keep the home cool. Carol is surprised to learn that there are hundreds of funds with a combined investment capacity measured in hundreds of billions of dollars. This helps readers quickly associate your emails with your overall marketing strategy.Turn down offers made using pressure tactics. OK, can he get 200 more hits when he’s 41? You thinkhe can? I don’t think he can get 200 more hits at 41, but let’s say hedoes.Carol’s 2. The more people who pass by the sale, increases the chance of making more money.

  30. Pink is a wonderful girly color and I find plenty of the friends card
    gets sold with the close up of the pink rose.

    Have a look at my site – make money fast gta 5

  31. non può volare, appena colpito l’aereo, aereo, ha detto: “Te lo dico stelle verdi!”

  32. non dimenticare di dire buongiorno , entrato nella stanza e non guardare ad est guardare ad ovest, oh “.

  33. good article,it is useful to me and others to know about this items,please just keep it….

  34. Nice blog here! Also your site loads up very fast!

    What host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link to your host?

    I wish my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol

  35. Everything is very open with a clear description of the challenges.
    It was really informative. Your website is very helpful.
    Thank you for sharing!

  36. Not movies nevertheless perhaps video clips and tracks could be down loaded by way of torrents. This really is also simple for whenever you have several packages to hold indoors. You can present your message in a lot of distinct forms including articles, blog posts, pdf files, audio files, video as well as power point slide shows. One technique that new investors frequently find lucrative is really a lease alternative, or rent to very own. Use concerns in headers.
    Wholesale Jerseys

  37. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed surfing around
    your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again very soon!

  38. gsa ser list says:

    I go to see everyday a few blogs and sites to read articles or reviews, however this website gives quality
    based articles.

  39. The only way to get potential customers to read your emails is to convince them that they have value.You should always consider hiring a legal consultant for your web marketing business.Far east flora promo code also offers you a great price cut you’ve never come by in the market before.Article From Article Directory DatabaseHome Hunting Designed Simple With These Very simple SuggestionsThe nation is presently rebooting within a multitude of unique regions. Through the website can be found out an extraordinary amount of money of program programs.
    Wholesale China Jerseys

  40. Exclusive models for pieces that were certain, like Navitimer and Datejust etc. are likewise distributed online.
    Versace watches replica

  41. Cappuccetto Rosso alzò gli occhi e vide il sole tra gli alberi avanti e indietro Tiaodang, bei fiori che sbocciano in tutto,

  42. gsa ser list says:

    Howdy I am so delighted I found your site, I really found you by
    accident, while I was searching on Google for something
    else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say kudos for a tremendous post and a all round interesting blog (I also
    love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read it all at the
    minute but I have bookmarked it and also included
    your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read
    much more, Please do keep up the excellent job.

  43. John Wall says:

    Big Fish sorrise e disse: “.. Io non sono tua madre, mia madre è un pesce Tua madre ha quattro gambe, verso la parte anteriore per trovarlo.”

  44. Thank you for every other great post. Where else may just anybody
    get that type of information in such a perfect mannner of writing?
    I have a presentation next week, and I am on the look for
    such info.

    My weblog – the forex triple B strategy by vladimir ribakov

  45. Shannon says:

    Admiring the hard work you put into your blog and in depth information you present.
    It’s great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same unwanted rehashed material.
    Excellent read! I’ve saved your site and I’m adding your RSS feeds to
    my Google account.

  46. Enjoyed reading through this, very good stuff,
    thank you.

    My webb page; Back Lucrative Review

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *