BootsnAll Travel Network



Beware! Naughty Monkey

This is the sign inside of our hut. 

Koh Phi Phi was just as I remembered it, only a little more touristy.  When we got off of the boat upon arrival, I remembered where these awesome bungalows were right on the beach that I had seen last time. We snagged the last one and put our stuff in. Now, this “bungalow” is basically some straw held together by a nail gun, but I still think it was a staple gun.  The huts are too low to stand up in, and there is no bathroom.  But, it was great… until we wanted to sleep and the rave on the beach was in full force.

While on the island, we took a big boat out for some snorkeling around and to see the other uninhabited islands around.  At one point, in lieu of cliff jumping, we jumped from the top of the 2 or 3 story boat.  I also saw a muy thai boxing match, where, for lack of better english, the beat the shit out of each other until one is unconscious and the other is the praised and obvious winner.  It rained a lot on the island, which was okay, until it rained on us and our stuff in our hut.  Waking up in a pool is not that fun. So, we got another night for free and they patched up the roof (with more staples – those crafty Thais).

So, I left the Middle East and thought I would shake off all of the bad going on around me.  The situation in Northern India has escalated, not to mention the monsoon rains where we were supposed to go, so I guess it was premonition and not my inability to travel that got me out of that country.  Additionally, in Thailand, when I first arrived there was trouble down south with the Malaysia border (the Muslim area).  Now, there are anti-government protests all around Bangkok, and at the Krabi and Phuket airports, which have both been shut down inevitably, which doesn’t really affect me as I’m still on the boat and train budget. I’m sure I’ll be able to fly out in 2 weeks.

So now, paradise. After Koh Phi Phi, we took a boat to Krabi. They oversold tickets on the boat, and when it started to sink and the lower cabin (where we were) filled with exhaust, they had to reposition the passengers and speed up.  We arrived in Krabi without a plan. So, on a whim, we jumped in a taxi after we missed the public bus to a port for long tail boats, and grabbed one to Ao Tong Sai. I’m not lying when I say this is paradise.  The only way to get to this part of Railay Island is by long tail boat – 20 minutes from mainland. 

We get off the longtail and meet some guy who directed us toward the best bungalows, which are dirt cheap. I’m talking $4.50 a night.  We walk up the steps to “reception” and are welcomed by a sign stating that on the island, “ELECTRICITY 6PM – 1AM”. Our hut was not much different from camping, although we had a mosquito net and a super out house. This part of the island is tiny. It’s a rock climbing island, and incredibly relaxed. There’s not much to do except kayak, watch the crabs, admire the rising and lowering tide (full moon now), and relax and read. There aren’t really stores, which is okay, considering I’m about a third of the way through my 900 page book and it’s absolutely beautiful.

Internet is ridiculously expensive, such is life….

I’m guessing I’ll be here for a few more days (it’s only been 2) so no more posts for a little… But, I’m safe and happy and eager for more to write.



Tags:

One response to “Beware! Naughty Monkey”

  1. Ellen says:

    It would appear you’re living life in it’s purest form over there. It is amazing how accustomed you have become to living without the luxuries we all take for granted here.. a lesson I remember Mark came home from Bolivia having learned. I want the “bet” to see how long you can go without a pedicure when you return!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Please stay safe! Luv u…Aunt Ellen

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *