BootsnAll Travel Network



Steve is not an electronics wizard

Well I now have proof that I know very little about electronics. 

My fancy new camera with built in mp3 player stopped working about a month ago so I bought another camera and thought that when I got back to Auckland that I might be able to get it fixed.  I spent the majority of the day today going to different shops to see if anyone could figure out what is wrong.  To me it looked like a pretty simple problem of the shutter not opening.  The camera turns on and all the functions work but the screen is blank and when i take pictures they come out black (shutter problem).  The mp3 player still works so i have been using it to listen to my music.  Every shop I went to wanted $100 just to look at it and if they found the problem then more to fix it.  I decided the best course of action would be for me to open it up and see if I could fix the shutter myself.  I stopped at a store and bought a mini screwdiver set for $4.00 and came back to the hostel and went to work.  There were 8 screws just for the back cover and once i got those off another 7 to get to where i needed to be.  I kept all the screws in certain piles so I knew where the went back.  Once i got all those screws out and was able to see the shutter I found that there was nothing wrong with it and that the problem was even deeper than that.  So i went full bore and took the camera completely apart.  Another 12 screws and some gentle pushing and prodding and it all came apart.  I am sure it looked pretty funny with it all apart and me trying to figure out what was going on.  Even with it all apart i could turn the power on and test it.  I had parts every where and to be honest the piles started to mix so i wasn’t sure of where all the screws went.  After about 1/2 hour of tinkering with it I put it back together.  Amazingly i did get all the screws back to where they were supposed to be but i ended up with 1 piece left over and have no idea where it was supposed to go.  I got it all back together and lo and behold the camera still did not work.  I really thought i could fix it but i guess that  was just a dream.  The good thing is that everything else still works so I can still listen to my music.  I will probably buy a small mp3 player and get rid of the camera or send it home and hope it can still be fixed under warrenty.  I can’t use the warrenty in NZ bacause I did not get the international warrenty, oh well shit happens.

I guess I will continue to use the new camera I bought and see if I can break it as well.

Tomorrow (Friday), I meet up with a friend that I met while traveling with Stray (Corrie) and we are going to have a BBQ at her house.  She is inviting a few of her other friends over as well and a brunch from the cast of Shortland Street.  Shortland Street is a daytime soap in NZ and probably the biggest one they have, it would be the Days of our Lives in NZ.  It should be pretty cool to meet some new people.  On Saturday Philly gets into town and we head straight back out to see some of the sights.

Till later gators,

Steve

PS: no pics with this post.



Tags:

2 responses to “Steve is not an electronics wizard”

  1. Rob says:

    lets just hope that the warrantly people don’t read blogs … I think you may have voided everything with your $4.00 screwdriver.
    And look at you … hobknobbing with the rich and famous!!!

  2. Ian says:

    Did you try taking the lens-cap off?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.