BootsnAll Travel Network



East Cape NZ – Sweet as, bro

Sunrise at Gisbourne, the first place to see the sun rise in the worldLongest Pier in NZOne of the largest and oldest trees in NZWell it has been a while since i wrote a blog so i guess i better update you all.

Since leaving Kaikoua i have been in a relax mode and have not done a lot of stuff.  I went from Kaikoura to Picton (top of the south island) and then crossed over to Wellington.  Wellington was absolutely crazy as they had a huge rugby tournament goming on called the Rugby 7’s which is regulare rugby but with on 7 players and 7 minute halves.  Canada had a team entered but did not do very well.  We are guarenteed a room for one night when we travle with Stray bus but after that it was alomst impossible to find a room and they were charging over double the regular rates.  Our dorm goes for $19 and they wanted $50 per night for any extra nights.  I only stayed the one night and then travelled on to Taupo.  It was nice to be back in Taupo as this was where i spent xmas and i just relaked for a few days.  I also got a really sore throat and so i didn’t do alot of talking.  Got lots of extra sleep and took it easy for a few days.  After i needed to get to Rotorua which is where the next part of my trip goes from but had to get there on my own.  I was planning on hitch hiking but after talking with the owner of the hostel in Taupo he gave me a ride, sweet.  I got to Rotorua and checked the town out for the few things it had and continued my relaxing as my throat was still pretty soar.  On wednesday i started the East Cape tour with stray.  THe east cape is a seperately run business and the owner (Jason) is also the driver.  We left rotorua and went to Whatatane and saw a few of the sites which inluded Mt. Manganiu and a few Maori tribal sites.  The east cape is known for it Maori culture and has a lot of Maori’s in the area.  We stayed the night is a small hostel that was built for us and very few others ever go there.  We went on a bush walk to an incredible waterfall and a little swim.  That evening we were given a great Seafood meal with crayfish and snapper.  We had a poker game as well but i didn’t do very well, but it was fun.  The next day we travelled on to Gisbourne which is the most east city in NZ and the first place for the sun to rise in the morning.  We stopped and saw one of the oldest trees in NZ (600yrs) , a really neat Maori church and the longest pier in NZ.  Our hostle for the night was just outside of Gisbourne and again made strictly for us.  That is where i am at this point as I have stayed on here for a few extra nights.  The weather is actually not that good right now and a bit cool, wet and windy.  Perfect fopr relaxing in and taking a few days off.

I will leave Gisbourne on Monday and head to White Island which is a active volcano that we can go to and spend the day checking it out.  After i will make my way to Mt. Manganiu by Thursday and take in the National Kapa Haka competition.  It will the best hakas (war dance) from all the regions and the winner will compete in a world competition on national dances.  It should be a good place to see some real NZ culture.

It has been nice catching up with some of you on Facebook and if you are ever on at the same time as i am I will be sure to say hello.

Till later, take care,

Steve 

 Looks like the pics for this blog will have to come late as this computer will not work.



Tags: ,

One response to “East Cape NZ – Sweet as, bro”

  1. Judy @ KB says:

    that was one awesome sunrise pix..wow..
    we are still freezing our rears off here, another freakin snow storm coming now..
    glad you are doing well & take care of that sore throat!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.