BootsnAll Travel Network



Australia – East Coast

Hello all,

I am sitting beside the beach in the beautiful sunshine as I write this actually trying to get motivated to write a blog.  I figured it had been about a week since I wrote and then when I looked in my day timer I noticed that it is closer to 2 weeks ago that I last wrote.  It is amazing how time goes by and days flow into each other.   Most days I need to ask to find out what day it is as it never really matters if it is Monday, Thursday or Sunday.  Damn I am one very lucky person!!!

Well I got back from Vanuatu all safe and sound but just like Fiji the bugs decided to leave a lasting impression on me and when I got back to Oz I had 5 very large bites that have got infected and required a doctors visit.  Everything is okay no and they are going away but it is amazing that I am not bothered the while time I am there and as soon as I leave these bites show up.

I checked into Travellers Oasis again in Cairns and had a nice chat with Cathy (the owner) in the morning.  I was making plans to go to Cape Tribulation and by noon that day Cathy had 3 girls to go with me.  I spent most of the day relaxing from all my hikes and travels in Vanuatu as well I wanted to rest my leg (where the bites are).  I spoke to my parents on Skype, it is always great to see them and to my sister, Boyd and Nadean on Facebook.  It was good to get updated on all the news going on at home.  I also met the 3 girls that I would be travelling with Andi from Toronto, Jessica from the UK and Kendra from Edmonton.

We all met in the morning and were on our way north.  Our first stop was the Rex Lookout and a stop for some great pictures, then our next stop was Port Douglas.  Port Douglas looked like a rich mans town and filled with luxury houses and resorts, we spent some time at the pier and at the town lookout.  From there we headed to Mossman Gorge where there is a swimming hole and I went in up to my knees but it was pretty cold and I really did not feel like getting all wet.  We took some pictures but it was a real tourist stop and had to many people around.  We continued on and missed our turn to Cape Trib and ended up in Daintree which was alright because as we entered the little village some girls were doing a car wash and I pulled in.  It cost $6 and was the first time I washed it since i got it, so it was definitely worth it.  From there we got direction back to where we were supposed to be and continued on our way.  We crossed a small ferry and then went straight to the Cape.  We got into our hostel and took a walk to the beach and chilled for the rest of the afternoon.  We all made supper together and while cooking I met some guy from Medicine Hat.  There are way to many Canadians in Australia right now.  We took it easy for the evening, had a few drinks and chatted about our travels.  In the morning we headed for the beach and chilled there all morning and the early afternoon with some swimming included.  After a late lunch we started our way back to Cairns.  Now sometimes some people do not get my sense of humour or when I am just having some fun and the drive back was a little tense for that reason.  The road is nice and curvy and thus fun to drive, I didn’t go to fast but did drive fairly aggressively but in complete control.  One of the girls did not like it to much and I slowed down a bit and I explained that I have a lot of confidence in my driving ability and the car I was driving and with my years of experience on the road that she was in no danger.  Just as everyone was getting calmed down the road turned into a twinned highway with the other lane out of site, but none of the girls noticed this so when I decided to pass the car in front of me on a curve the one just started freaking out.  I tried to tell her that it was twinned but she would not stop screaming, when she finally figured it out she was mad that I didn’t say anything and I just smiled which pissed her off even more.  She didn’t say another word the rest of the trip which was kinda pleasant.  Not sure if she will end up reading this but if she does I am sure she will probably reply with her own story.  It is actually the first time that I think someone really doesn’t like me but she did not like telling that since she was from Toronto, that it was just like been from the US.  Oh well, I am actually still smiling as I write this.  We got back to Carins and I dropped the girls off at there hostels and went back to Travellers Oasis.  They are so nice there and happy to see me come back.

Rex Lookout by Cape Tribulation

While I was in Cape Trib a Us navy ship (USS Essex) pulled into Cairns along with it 4000 sailors and there huge egos.  Most of them we on there best behavior as the newspaper reported but it was the snide comments made that kept on pissing me off.  The girls I was out with did not want anything to do with them and thought most were asses but a bunch of other girls were just throwing themselves at them.  The paper also reported that the brothels were extra busy as well.  The ship itself is huge and was hard to miss, you can land Harrier Jets and Hewy Helicopters on it.  It was the weekend so I took a couple of days to chill and go to the beach to play some volleyball.  On Saturday night (July 4th) there was a big fireworks show for US Independence Day and a big group of us went to watch and then to the bar for a few drinks and dancing, but this time I stayed off the tables.

I know that to some everyday I am out here sounds terrific and yes most are but sometimes certain days really stick out and Monday was one of those days.  I got to snorkel on the Great Barrier Reef and it is one of my best days ever.  I was transported to the boat (Seastar) early in the morning and met a great crew.  I informed them I was really excited but nervous still about the water, and they took great care of me all day.  We got out to our first stop which was a small sand island about 1 hour away from cairns in the middle reef.  Some jumped straight in while others got ready to do some diving.  Myself and 5 other took a small boat to the shore of the island and our snorkel tour began from there.  I got into the water and everything was going great, no leaks in the mask and breathing normal and all of a sudden some guy beside me stated panicking swinging his arms and bumping me and so I got away from him fast and back to relaxing.  I realize that most people would turn and help the guy in a panic but when it comes to water I am not post people and someone else can save him, which they did.  From there we snorkeled out and saw so many amazing fish, a rare sting ray and the highlight a great big turtle.  We snorkeled for about 1 hour and then had some free time and I did some more snorkeling.  When we were just about finished 3 other boats showed up and took over the water, I think my group has this toured planned really well because they show up and we leave.  On our way to stop 2 they served up lunch and did a talk about the reef.  We got to spot 2 in no time and this time there was no islands around, just beautiful blue water everywhere.  We got into the water and taken on another snorkel tour of the area and again amazing fish, coral and everything else the reef offers.  We were in the water for another 2 1/2 hours here and just can’t believe how amazing it is.  Unfortunately I can only put a few pics here but I have them all on Facebook and would suggest that you all take a look there.  We got afternoon tea on the way back and took in some sun.  I got back to the hostel at around 5 and got ready for the planned Aussie BBQ at the sister hostel down the road.  Another great meal of Kangaroo, Emu and Croc with all the fixins made for one great last evening in Cairns.

Turtle at Great Barrier Reef

I had spent enough time in Cairns and it was time to move on and so on Tuesday I headed for the Atherton Tablelands.  It is an interesting drive leaving the city and getting into sugar cane regions and then into the rainforest area the Tablelands are known for.  This is the first time on the road that I will be travelling alone but it is only for a few days until I get back on the main road.  I stopped at a lookout and got an incredible view of the area and then stopped at the Cathedral Fig Tree.  These trees are huge and it would take at least 2 dozen people holding hands to get around it.  I drove thru a few small towns and to Yungaburra where the hostel I am staying at (On the Wallaby).  I got in about 4:30 and started making plans right away.  I was taken at about 6 to Platypus spotting but none showed up and then at 8 we went out for a night canoe ride on the river.  We saw some really amazing animals with the spotlights we were given including Green Ringed Tailed Possum, plus other kinds of Possums, Bandicoots, Pademelons, Owls and bats.  It was a great evening and we ended up back at around 10:30 with everyone else in bed.  The next morning I left and did a driving tour around the area and saw another huge Fig tree and and a couple of waterfalls along 2 different hikes about 1 hour each. I ended the afternoon with some bird spotting at a swamp and some rare birds.  That evening I went Platypus spotting again and struck out again.  The next morning i was on my way to Mission Beach where I am now.  On my drive I stopped at 4 more waterfalls and did one 3 hour hike into the rainforest.  The weather on this day was not very good with lots of rain but I am getting used to hiking in the rain and it really didn’t bother me.  I made it into Mission Beach around 5 and got into a hostel and relaxed for the evening.  The hostel put on a fire show with a guy and girls twirling fire everywhere, they were pretty good too.  In the morning I got up and went to the boat dock and did some fishing, with a little success but nothing worth keeping and eating.  In the afternoon I went to the beach and did some swimming backed up with relaxing and writing this blog.

Atherton Tablelands

I will leave Mission Beach tomorrow and head to a place called magnetic Island outside of Townsville and then the Whit Sundays, Bundaberg and Fraser Island.  The further south I head the cooler it gets and with it been the middle of the winter it is still only getting sown to about 6-8 at night.  Now I know that is not that cold but when you are used to much warmer I am really starting to feel it, good thing the days are still getting to 26-28.  One part of me says to slow down and stay here a while and let it warm up in the south but the another part knows that I am spending to much money and need to keep moving. On that part my monthly spend in June was outrageous with $5379.30 spent or $179.31 per day.  Most of this is because of Vanuatu but now I will need to watch for the next while and maybe finish Oz in the next 3 months.  I do need to get to Sydney soon because I need to apply for a new passport before I leave Oz and that will take about a month to process.  We will see how it goes along the east coast as most of the activities are Diving, Snorkeling and Surfing in the area and not at the top of my list as things to do.  There is also lots of bungy jumping, sky diving and other activities that I have already done.  One thing is for sure is that the beached are great and it is nice to just relax some days.

Mission Beach, Queensland Oz

Back home Stampede is in full swing and I am seeing some pics on Facebook and I am sure everyone is having a great time.  Today is my cousin Cordell’s birthday so a big Happy Birthday to him. I continue to enjoy myself and I am having a great time.  It is different not travelling with anyone but that will soon change and the people I met at the hostel last night are cool.  I just keep on been me and that seems to keep me and everyone else happy.

Till next time, everyone take care.

Steve



Tags:

101 responses to “Australia – East Coast”

  1. StephenPam says:

    В нашем обществе, где диплом – это начало отличной карьеры в любом направлении, многие стараются найти максимально быстрый и простой путь получения образования. Необходимость наличия документа об образовании переоценить попросту невозможно. Ведь именно диплом открывает дверь перед всеми, кто собирается вступить в профессиональное сообщество или продолжить обучение в университете.
    Мы предлагаем оперативно получить этот необходимый документ. Вы сможете заказать диплом нового или старого образца, что будет выгодным решением для человека, который не смог завершить образование или утратил документ. дипломы производятся с особой тщательностью, вниманием к мельчайшим элементам, чтобы на выходе получился полностью оригинальный документ.
    Преимущество этого решения заключается не только в том, что можно быстро получить свой диплом. Процесс организовывается удобно, с нашей поддержкой. От выбора необходимого образца до грамотного заполнения персональных данных и доставки по России — все под полным контролем качественных мастеров.
    Всем, кто ищет максимально быстрый способ получить требуемый документ, наша услуга предлагает выгодное решение. Заказать диплом – значит избежать продолжительного процесса обучения и не теряя времени переходить к достижению личных целей, будь то поступление в ВУЗ или старт удачной карьеры.

    https://diploman-rossiya.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.