BootsnAll Travel Network



Rishekesh, The Ganges, and a Day in the Himalayas

Leaving the deserts of Jaisalmer behind, we rode our sleeper train through the night to awake in Delhi for a daylong layover.

With most of the Sunday in Dehli to walk around, we eventually found a nice market neighborhood where some fruit vendors caught our eye. We also stopped by the Jama Masjid which is one of the biggest mosques in Asia and the biggest in India.

Later that evening at the station, we realized that a mistake was made in booking our train. It was for the wrong day! That meant that we had to purchase general seating tickets and take our chances at getting upgraded to the sleeper class. The following ordeal is a whole nother story in itself!

After a long and harrowing three hours, we were finally reunited with each other aboard a sleeper coach with our own berths. We had many people to thank and it gave us hope for the future of India.

At just before dawn the next morning, we arrived in Haridwar. We introduced ourselves to the cool fresh air of a mountain view sunrise atop the roof of the train station. After greeting the Ganges River, and a most appreciated South Indian breakfast (Christine had been craving idly), eventually we found our couchsurf host after an arduous share taxi, bicycle rickshaw ride, and backpacking (back the way we came) adventure! She was so nice and welcoming – we were so relieved to finally be there! After a couple nights of gracious hospitality, we were back on the road to Rishikesh, about 20 km up the Ganges river. It didn’t take us long to find Madhu, our friend from La Fargassa. We were walking across the bridge when we stumbled on Roshant and her unmissable blonde hair.

Below is the rough outline of our India trip! Our itinerary includes lots of activities and a festival and another train to Delhi where we fly out Friday morning on FinnAir to Barcelona (via Helsinki, Finnland – wow).

india-map.GIF

Tags: , , ,



101 Responses to “Rishekesh, The Ganges, and a Day in the Himalayas”

  1. These Feet Can Take Us Anywhere Says:

    best private proxies

    I found a great…

Leave a Reply