BootsnAll Travel Network



Pondicherry for Jonathan’s 32 Birthday

The history of Pondicherry, a local city only 3km away from us, is an interesting and somewhat confusing one. We refer to the city as Pondicherry but that’s a bit of a misnomer. Historically, “Pondicherry” consisted of four unconnected districts: Pondicherry, Karaikal, and Yanam on the Bay of Bengal and Mahe on the Arabian Sea. Puducherry (Pondicherry) and Karaikal are by far the larger ones, and are both enclaves of Tamil Nadu.  Yanam and Mahé are enclaves of Andhra Pradesh and Kerala, respectively.  In the early 16th century the Portuguese established their supremacy in Pondicherry. They ruled for a while until the Dutch and the French entered for trade reasons and became interested. In 1673 the French started ruling the territory. During the rule of the French in Pondicherry there were several minor conflicts and battles fought between the French and the Britishers to capture Pondicherry. After several conflicts both countries were able to sign an agreement wherein Pondicherry was given back to the French by the Britishers. The territory was under the French rule for nearly 281 years until 1954 when Pondicherry was given back to India by the French.  In September 2006, the city changed its official name from Pondicherry to the vernacular original, Puducherry, which means “New village”. It is also known as The French Riviera of the East.  Though it has officially changed to Puducherry no maps really reflect this for certain and most revert to the parenthesis method of mentioning both names.   Pondicherry is a well planned and well built town and the influence of the French is everywhere.  The ruling French had an eye on the wealth and the fertility of India, thus the French dream of Indian empire began by establishing their mark in Pondicherry. The French planned out an oval shaped ‘boulevard town’, complete with beach side promenade.  The French quarter is chock with classic French-style architecture and wide, tree lined streets unlike any you’ll see elsewhere in India.  The streets are laid out in a proper geometric grid pattern with straight roads intersecting at right angles. A boulevard encircles the town and a grand canal divides it into two sections: one on the Tamil side called Ville Noire (or the black town) and the other on the European side which was known as Ville Blanche (or the white town). You can guess at the difference in architecture between the two sides.  The impressive Ville Blanche resembles a typical Medieval French township clotted with fine built monuments, government buildings, majestic mansions, elegant churches and lush green parks. It was the beautiful Botanical Gardens that Jon and I were out to spend his birthday.      Having a botanical garden is a completely unique feature of Pondicherry and it is the only one of its kind in the entire south of India.  Again, the French had everything to do with that.  In the year 1826, C.S. Perrotet planned and laid out the beautiful botanical garden and it retains an amazingly diverse collection of plant and tree species from India as well as abroad. It also boasts an aquarium and a little toy train  – the “Joy Train” which, for 2 rupees, will chug you around the gardens.   We bought our tickets for the Joy Train, we’re just waiting for the excitement to start!  Whhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! The Joy Train ride (which took about 4 minutes round trip) was popular with the local kids. We think it is probably the only mechanized ride for hundreds of miles and, with that in mind, could be loosely thought of as a “thrill ride”.  Especially if you make it one!  We left the Botanical Gardens and took a walk around Pondicherry.  We stopped in to look at one of the churches left over from the colonial days.  It’s a Catholic church all right, but with all the Indian flair they could muster. We’re not sure what the large red electronic counter is that’s mounted over the door.  We theorized that they’ve perhaps saved 194 souls this year already? We kept watching for the counter to change as people entered and exited but the number stayed firm so I guess we’ll never know the secret. Once inside the church one can be a bit overwhelmed by the quantity of statues of all sizes and shapes, neon lights, neon paint, stained glass in thousands of colors and the general mayhem of colors and sounds.    The Indian version of the Catholic church was really beautiful in its own way, and a heck of a lot more festive than every Catholic church we’d ever been in put together.  After the church we went for a walk in the dimming light along the lovely beach promenade.  One wonderful thing about being in Tamil Nadu is that the people are genuinely nice and very interested in simply greeting you and briefly talking to you.  They’re benevolently curious, because while there are tourists here it’s not in the huge quantity that we’ll surely be encountering in bigger cities.       We had a wonderful day in Pondy and ended it with a group dinner celebrating Jon’s birthday! One more thought to leave you with, a sign at the Botanical Gardens reminds you that extinction is PERMAMENT.   Permament?  Oh well, as usual with Indians and the English language the specifics may not be there but the sentiment is clear… 

Tags: , ,



231 Responses to “Pondicherry for Jonathan’s 32 Birthday”

  1. Floor Mats Says:

    Welcome Mats

    Entrance Mats

  2. Acheter des Likes Instagram Says:

    Acheter des followers Instagram

    acheter des followers

  3. Posted from Japan Japan
  4. Dog grooming West Auckland Says:

    Pet Grooming uckland

    dog grooming Auckland

  5. Anti Wrinkles Says:

    Anti Wrinkles

    Moisturiser

  6. deals on aldeals Says:

    online shopping in uae

    deals on aldeals

  7. vape store Says:

    Vape Shop

    vape store

  8. Subohm Says:

    vapester

    vape

  9. marketing Says:

    printing

    marketing

  10. VPN service Says:

    VPN service

    VPN service

  11. Kinderfreundlich Says:

    Restauraurant Hardegg

    Kinderfreundlich

  12. GENY ONE Says:

    Hybrid Smartwatch

    Luxury Hybrid Smartwatch

  13. Anti Bark Collar Says:

    Aetertek Australia

    Remote Training Collar

  14. CTFO Says:

    CTFO

    CTFO

  15. VirtueMart Says:

    FLOSSNet

    software training company

  16. Unternehmensnachfolge Says:

    Gesellschafterstreit

    Unternehmensnachfolge

  17. Top Secret Says:

    Hollywood Hairsystem

    Zweithaarstudio

  18. web design Says:

    FLOSSNet

    software training company

  19. fixed income Says:

    fixed income

    safe investments

  20. bitcoin chart Says:

    bitcoin chart

    current bitcoin price

  21. Posted from United States United States
  22. marine gearbox twin disc Says:

    marine gearbox for sale

    parts of a marine diesel engine

  23. Cake Smash photoshoot Says:

    Newborn photoshoot

    Cake Smash photography

  24. These Feet Can Take Us Anywhere Says:

    Wilbur Warnstaff

    I found a great…

  25. Best Tattoo Artist Gauteng Says:

    Best Tattoo Studio Johannesburg

    Best Tattoo Artist

  26. Posted from United States United States
  27. Buenas Opiniones Says:

    Buenas Opiniones

    Buenas Opiniones

  28. Posted from United States United States
  29. cars for cash Says:

    payday loans

    quick loans

  30. Posted from United States United States
  31. used vehicles Says:

    used vehicles

    Pre Owned Cars

  32. Posted from United States United States
  33. premium Cars Says:

    used vehicles

    Pre Owned Cars

  34. Posted from United States United States
  35. Yhao Socks Says:

    Yhao Socks

    Yhao Socks

  36. Posted from United States United States
  37. maxicab Says:

    maxicab

    PlatinumMaxicab

  38. Posted from United States United States
  39. international movers Says:

    international movers

    International movers Singapore

  40. Posted from United States United States
  41. h2 math exam paper solutions Says:

    o level exam paper solutions

    jc h2 math

  42. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply