BootsnAll Travel Network



Goodbye Sadhana Forest, on the road again!

Since our last posting, Christine and I’ve been busy wrapping up our Sadhana experience. Our apologies for not posting something sooner.

With many new faces arriving at Sadhana Forest daily, and workshops happening left and right, it was rare for us to find even a few minutes of shared rest together. Here we are in our hammocks!

One of our most memorable and impactful experiences was a workshop called Peas vs. Pills – a day-long vegan living tutorial including simply wonderful meals and vegan treats. Dr. Nandita Shah of SHARAN provided excellent and comprehensive information about the needless destruction of the environment and our personal health that the meat/dairy/egg industry perpetuates. She explained clearly how we can take control of our personal health by embracing a whole foods, vegan diet. This was just the salad table (with vegan “cheese” spreads too)!

After the feast of delicious food and important information – we were hooked. We’ve been vegan ever since. We ate raw for a week after this and during this time I developed a nasty cold which is one method of purging toxins. Unfortunatley, this coincided with the natural building workshop that Aviram had asked me to lead – fortunately, there were plenty of hands to do the actual work. Here’s a short video clip to get the idea…

Christine had the responsibility of training the new kitchen managers and we both spent some time planning our trip and booking train tickets (something that’s not as easy as it sounds). Soon enough our time was running down as we scurried around trying to get in all the sights and sensations of Auroville (including farm-fresh organic lunch, beach trips, and dolphin swim therapy, going away dinners, temple photos, and another vegan cooking workshop).

Of course we had our last meal in the new common room/dining area of the main hut at Sadhana…

this is only HALF the people there!

When it was time to go, we shared a cab into Pondicherry where Christine stayed at the rail station, and I went off in search of snacks and a bathroom (the station didn’t have one). The bathroom was difficult because both places I had in mind were closed, but I eventually prevailed.

By train we made our way (45 minutes) to Villapuram, where after a 5 hour layover (and the spiciest masala dosai we’ve ever had), we boarded our first sleeper train car for the 5 hour trip to Kodai Rd. Station. From there, we took a 3 hour bus up the steep hills to Kodaikanal – a hill station established by the Americans and home to an International School set up by missionaries here. After a Tamil breakfast of idly and pouri, I sat with our heavy packs while Christine went off in search of the cheapest nearby accomodation possible. Her luck is good and we ultimately scored a top floor corner room with a great sunrise view.

At the outset, the easiest and cheapest way to do road food is with street vendors, but ultimately, the health quality is lacking. We enjoy samosas (Rs. 3) and veg puffs (Rs. 5) immensely but the consumption of these oily, non-substantive treats is something we’ve decided to cut down. Instead, we’ve loaded our food bag with dried fruits and energy balls from the natural food store in Pondy and we were happy to discover Eco-nut here in Kodaikanal too.

As a result, we enjoy sprouted “flatten” rice with coconut milk and fruit muesli for breakfast, and veggie sandwiches with tahini on fresh wholegrain bread for dinner. For lunch we’ve been dining at the Royal Tibetan for delicious hot & sour soup and steamed veggie dumplings called momos.

On our first day we made our way to a park where Christine resumed her regular yoga practice.

After this we walked as we talked our way around the lake and explored the food opportunities. We found an excellent hot onion spread that we’ve put on our sandwiches and we also discovered fresh potato chips which are the perfect supplement to our sandwich dinners. Everyday has seen hikes of 5-10 km and yesterday we found ourselves in nearby Vadakanal where we were offered “American sweet corn.” This was the best as it was fresh roasted and covered in chili spices, salt, and lime juice – unbelieveably delicious!

We’re excited to share lots more soon and revise this post as well (there’s too much to talk about!). But we have to express a sincere “Thank You” from the bottom of our hearts to Aviram & Yorit for the past three months, and also to some very special family members without whose generosity, we would not be able to travel in India. We are so deeply grateful!!!

Tags: , , , , ,



7 Responses to “Goodbye Sadhana Forest, on the road again!”

  1. Mother Hen Says:

    Just getting over a deep respiratory infection for the last 2 weeks – I choose to look at it like Johathan . .. it’s just throwing off the toxins! I look forward to trying the recipes you sent me as soon as I’m back on my feet.
    The French lessons are progressing s-l-o-w-l-y. Received the rain pants and seam sealer from REI, backpack is getting heavier, no room for any clothes.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Cath Says:

    Great to hear about your onward adventures from Sadhana. Can you believe it? already the new dorm has about 40 people living in it, and is doubling as a permaculture classroom. Mis ya’s, love Cath

  4. Anonymous Says:

    All the food descriptions make me want to get to India asap! sounds like a lovely beginning to your final travels in India. I can’t wait to hear more. I love you both very much!

    ps- let me know when you get the address to the chateau. we want your special-something to be waiting for you 😉

  5. Anonymous Says:

    oops! that last one was from me, annie.

  6. Mahatma Gandhi Says:

    You know, people always remember I said “An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind” but they cut off the second part which is “and vegan food is fucking delicious!” That’s right, I said “fucking delicious!” What are you gonna do? Sue me? I’m Gandhi for chris-sakes!

  7. Posted from United States United States
  8. Kipp Says:

    Hey there!
    Wow, you must be having the most amazing time! I was showing Eve and the crew your blog last night. Eve was so excited that you were doing yoga in India that she did the pose you were doing on the spot. You bump your head in a yoga class one time, the next thing you know you’re in India. Crazy!

  9. Posted from United States United States
  10. Vera and Rob Brandt Says:

    Glad to hear that you are able to continue your Yoga Christine. It is most helpful in every way.

  11. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply