BootsnAll Travel Network



On to Bora Bora


During my last dinner in Rangiroa, two things struck me: out of the fifty or so people in the room, I am the only american and even the only native english speaker and second: I like that. Ma francais est un peu plus meillor. Resting tonight and tomorrow off to Bora Bora. Looking for Manta Ray diving there.

August 9, 2011:
Well I got packed up, and signed up for the PADI Advanced OW course. It does work on my MacBook, it just needs flash, so no iPad, iPhone, etc. I finished the intro and buoyancy sections and had a nice lunch. Now I am awaiting at the Rangiroa airport for my flight to Papeete which is one hour late, hoping to make the connection to my flight for Bora Bora. I think I have to pick up my suitcase in Papeete and then put it back in before I get on the plane to Bora Bora, but couldn’t really follow what she was saying.

August 10, 2011:
Air Tahiti did a great job. Myself and two Italians were headed to Bora Bora, as it turns out to the Hilton as well. When we arrived in Papeete there was an agent at the door with a sign with our names on it and as soon as we picked up our bags she walked us to the checkin counter and put in our bags and then on through security. Turns out the plane to Bora Bora was about 15 minutes late also, so we had plenty of time. I did get a chuckle out of the old grey haired grannie that after everyone was lined up, brought her flock of six or eight to the front and just eased on over to the head of the line. The flight was easy and into Bora Bora. The airport is on a motu to the north of the main Island, and the Hilton Bora Bora Nui staff was right on the spot. Got the bags and onto the large transport boat, very nice. Filled out some papers and then we were here. Reception and such are at the end of a long dock, and then we get golf carted to our rooms. The place is pretty spread out, so they use golf carts a lot for hauling stuff and people around. I got a free upgrade from the “hotel room” suite to a garden suite, and “sweet” it is! It is a freestanding building, probably 1000 square feet, huge bathroom and very cool walk in shower with a square 14 inch x 14 inch shower head directly over you. Unfortunately the water was not hot, so I called and ten minutes later two guys show up, climb up into the top of the room and replace the element in the water heater, and voila hot water.
Morning and a great breakfast, then decided to do my own laundry as the bill here was $6 per underwear and $12.50 for each T-shirt, shirt. So I saved the $90. The sink and camping laundry soap worked fine, and they were dry by lunch time. I snorkeled around the many OWBs (over water bungalow), actually quite a distance. I saw a lot of parrot fish, some ?bone fish, white with a black dot, digging into the sand. There were some nice corals, but a lot of dead and broken up coral heads. The swim guy said it was the cyclone a couple of years back and not crown of thorns. I hopped the shuttle into the big town of Vaitape, walked a Km or so north and then another or so south and saw very little except pearl shops. Hit the tourists. I did pick up some tahitian rum and some cokes, but missed my chance to eat at a local cafe, they closed at 5 pm. No big deal, I had a very good burger and fries here at only 2000 xpf. Up early tomorrow for some diving in Bora Bora.
I figure about 3/4 of the people here are Americans, most on honeymoon I think. But all is good, though I liked the feel of the crowd in Rangiroa better. The Americans tend to be so loud and curse a lot when every little thing isn’t perfect. I should teach them Rule #1 and Rule #2.



Tags:

One Response to “On to Bora Bora”

  1. Robbie Moody Says:

    Jim, I am following your blog and its amazing. i am not going to ask the stupid question of `are you enjoying yourself and having an excellent experience!!! Robbie.