BootsnAll Travel Network



Day 14 – Playa Carrillo

As usual I was up at the crack of dawn so I took a long walk around town and along the beach. I saw the Las Brisas del Pacifico hotel which is located a ways east of the main part of town. The hotel looked very nice with a pool right on the beach. If you had the money, this would definitely be the place to stay in Samara. Walking back I found a great little bakery on the street that parallels the main street to the east. It’s called Bohemia and they have some awesome pastries. I got a pineapple pastry (still hot out of the oven) with coffee for only 400 colones. After finishing a second cup of coffee (free refills) I headed back to the hotel. After my wife woke up we both had the typico breakfast at the hotel restaurant and decided to spend our last beach day at Playa Carrillo.

Playa Carillo is about 5km south of Samara and the road there is nicely paved. The beach is crescent shaped and stretches for a few kilometers. We passed the beach and went up[ the hill into the town which consists of only a few hotels, a school, and a small grocery store where we got a few cold drinks and drove back to the eastern end of the beach and laid our towels out under the shade of one of the many palm trees that line the beach. There are also some concrete tables with chairs under the trees if you wanted to have a picnic or something. The beach was mostly deserted with only a few tico families nearby. The beach itself is very nice but the waves were somewhat brutal. The beach has a late break and a mild undertow so swimmers should be careful. On the far eastern portion of the beach are some tide pools that were quite hot as they were heated by the sun. After a few hours we headed back to Samara, took a dip in the pool and had a pretty good pizza at the hotel’s Italian restaurant (Pizza-a-go-go). My wife took a nap while I went back to Las Olas for a few beers. I ended up talking to a few newly arrived American and Canadian girls who were going to be studding Spanish at the intercultural school. It was their first time in Costa Rica and they were all doing home stays and would be learning Spanish.

After a while I headed back to the hotel and got the wife up so we could go have dinner somewhere. We walked around town but nothing looked too good so we ended up going back to the hotel restaurant and I had some pretty good raviolis for dinner. Afterwards we went to the La Gondola bar for a drink. La Gondola is a cool place with a pool table, ping pong, and a dart board. After a few drinks we then headed to Shake Joe’s for a last beer and then went to bed.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *