BootsnAll Travel Network



The Piano film set

We continued after our AA episode back down the west side of the north, north bit. Through a beautiful natural harbour called Hokianga Harbour and down in to the Waipoua Forest, home to the world’s largest kauri tree. We stayed over night there in another DOC campsite – this one even had hot showers – a real treat for us!!
Continuing down south we stopped at Piha beach – a surfer’s haven just north of Auckland. We had driven all day and arrived at about 5pm as the many city’s beach goers were just packing up to go home. Ed had a quick swim (bit chilly for Ruth) and then we walked over to Karekare beach – a deserted version of the same black sandy beach – just on the other side of the rock. It’s quite a bit further along the steep narrow windy road to get there so I guess that’s why the city folk don’t bother. That and the lack of life guards… Karekare beach is where the film The Piano was made and as we sat and watched the sun go down, the theme tune of the film drifted through my mind. They certainly do much to the beach in the film – it was exactly as I remembered it. Wild, barren and beautiful.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *