BootsnAll Travel Network



Ru Uawa ( ‘Roo Ooaa’wa )

New years Eve

This was a lovely way to call in the new year in the absence of friends. With not a rendition of Auld lang syne in ear shot.
Having gone round the east cape we ended back up at Gizzy (Gisbourne to non residents). Our intention was to go to the Rhythm and vines festival as it was well advertised on the internet and some good kiwi bands were playing as well as a european DJ headlining (Mylo). When we arrived in Gizzy we went to the i-site to pick up some last minute tickets. Worse than there being a shortage, there was ANOTHER concert to choose from. So the seeds of indecision were sown and we spent the rest of the day deciding what to do and sunbathing/picnicing/swimming. By the time we had tossed a flip flop to choose between the two Rythm and vines had sold out. So we headed back up the cape a bit to Tolaga bay and the Ru Uawa festival.
Just to put the area in context Gizzy is the first City in the world to see the sun every day, so new years is a big event. So big in fact that the town population had doubled. This meant it was nice to get out of the relative crowds (it was like Brighton on Saturday morning or Guilford late night Christmas Shopping crowds, except most people were wearing shorts and sun glasses)
Once in Tolaga bay we found a nice campsite spot amongst the hundreds of freedom campers pitching in for the new year. So we had a few “Steinies” and some local wine whilst watching the waves come in. So once in the mood and as the sun was heading towards the sea for the last time in 2006 we made our way to the festival site.
In the queue at the gate we were the only ‘Pakeha’ (spotted by a camera man and interviewed a bimbling Ed in full public school boy speak!) We were also the only ones without wellies and an umbrella. The lady on the gate giving out the hand stamsp had the traditional Maori Lady lower lip and chin tattoo. Once inside and having negotiated various piles of haystacks we got a good spot in the crowds and watched some good bands. As the evening progressed we found out more about the “east coasty party” and how Renee Gaia is a popular country singer. It didn’t matter when the new year was called in 6 minutes late as the Maori new year is in june sometime…..



Tags:

-1 responses to “Ru Uawa ( ‘Roo Ooaa’wa )”

  1. jo says:

    alright umbongo ones, good to hear about yr new year krazy adventures! Things here are all good, i’ve stopped spying on yr old flat now, so the police have left me alone. I move out nxt week, but dan will be ok as he has the new guy tim to live with and they hangout, so its all good. I need to tell you that yr car has been kidnapped by mark and there maybe warfare between mark and dan over the beauty, i can see court orders and visitation rights in the future distance. Ok, so now the real reason i write, things i want to know are… is new zealand everything you thought it would be? Are you still going to stay there all year? Looking at that map it seems you have been everywhere, so do u know where u will settle down yet? Will edd ever write another blog… u know any nosey things like that would be of great interest to me and my office, (work is pretty slow at the mo). Love and hugs. x x x x x x x i wonder what country i’ll be from today…!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *