BootsnAll Travel Network



Day 10: 23rd Feb – Sofia

Tiredness lingers as we head off in the morning.  War-torn Belgrade was overpowering with it’s monuments, it’s history and it’s aftermath.  However, moving forward and delving deeper into the country you find that the rest of Serbia is an scenic, idyllic landscape of which great writers and movies often depict.  The sun leads the way into Bulgaria and rejuvenates my tired mind.

Eventually we arrive at the hotel we are staying for the night; 3* Moskva Hotel, with a panoramic view of the city, is not the best accommodation we’ve had on the trip and does a very good job of making the group feel like travellers or, to better put it in their eyes, outsiders.  We relax, absorb our current and brief surroundings and find a place for money.  The group split as some would like to recharge while others, including myself, would like to see the city and go out for dinner.  Ann’s step-brother, Thomas, lives in Sofia and has been for two years.  He seemed the perfect guide for a night tour of the city.  A small group of us head out into the centre in search of some food.

My drinking reputation has now spread from Prague and Thomas insists on taking us for a meal and some drink.  I kindly refuse the offer, but after dinner the first drink hits the table and the generosity overwhelms me.  After some nice food and a good talk, one turned into five very quickly and before I knew it we were drinking and laughing.  After being kicked out of the restaurant (last ones in at closing time), we head back slowly towards the hotel.  Thomas manages to find a bar (one of his favourites uncannily) that is serving last drinks.  We go in for one (more) drink and, after a lengthy argument over the overcharging of the bill, we hop into a taxi and go for some needed rest.  Tomorrow will be spent in two cities, both of which will have walking tours; one in the morning and one in the afternoon.  Early start (as usual) as we will be exploring two sides of Bulgaria.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *