BootsnAll Travel Network



Ausangate (cont)

Well, for some reason this site did not let me post my last entry – it´s actually quite obtuse, and the fact that that I have to do it on different computers each time, usually with Spanish instructions makes it even more so.  I´ll summarize my last trip:  It was really beautiful, and something I really wanted to do but I basically got talked into doing it much sooner than I should have.  The agency owner assured me that 2 days aclimation was fine, and he had done the trip many times, and that 3 other hikers would be joining us.  On the morning of the trip, 15 minutes before departure, I learned that he had gone on a different trip, and I would be the only hiker.  Furthermore, his replacement was a 23 year old kid who had done the 5 day hike ONCE before!  The hike was quite difficult w/ 3 of the 5 passes over 16,000 ft, and I had a lot of trouble sleeping.  In the end my equilibrium was so bad I had to ride a horse to get back – not fun when you have to ride at night on steep Andean trails, feeling like a punch-drunk cowboy!  Finally I returned to Cusco, and had to spend some time in clinic for altitude sicknesss treatment.

I´ve had similar experiences with tour operators in Africa who just want to get your money, but this was the worst!  Guess I´ll have to spend more time on research next time, but my next trip is to the Amazon in 2 days, and I think I should be OK there – at least all there is to worry about is mosquitos and snakes! 



Tags:

Leave a Reply