BootsnAll Travel Network



…and that’s when the clown attacked

holy crap, i’ve lost ten or fifteen pounds in three days! “felipe, look at that slender little ass of yours, what’s your secret?” i’ll tell you. don’t cook your fish! that’s right, go down to the market, buy some fillets of fishes you’ve never heard of, can’t pronounce, and certainly can’t remember, and then try to teach yourself how to make ceviche.

well my friends in san blas from mexico city made ceviche and that didn’t make me sick, so it should be easy right? well yes, it was easy. and delicious. i soaked the fish in lime overnight and served it in a cup, topped with pico de gallo.

maybe it was the pico? well maybe it was the pizza i bought from a street vendor the next day. that tasted pretty bad.

the day before i got sick was jan. 6, which is like mexican kwanzaa. they eat that king bread like in new orleans and it has little dolls in it just like in new orleans. i don’t know what the NO tradition is but they said if you find the doll in mexico you have to throw everyone a party on feb. 11.

that same day a street clown pulled me into his performance because he knew i didn’t speak a word of spanish. the routine was mostly made up of making men and women do some kind of elaborate performance, then making fun of us. in a half hour, all i understood was “felipe, you wear little skirts, right? like a girl?”

on second thought, that was lame.

oh, but the reason we were there is a dutch girl got taken prisoner by a cabbie! she’s staying at the hostel and taking classes and was on her way back from school in a cab when the driver demanded her laptop and all her money and drove her two hours towards puerto vallarta! i’d stopped in at the hostel to have some lunch (fish) when she walked in, hands shaking. she said he stopped for gas and left his keys in the car, and she grabbed the keys and threw them down a ravine! somehow she found another cab and paid 700 pesos to get back to town. $70 US is a lot better than a laptop. so i took her out for ice cream and that’s when the clown attacked.

as soon as i feel healthy i’m planning to hit up guanajuato, an old mining town where all the roads are in underground tunnels. cool, right?



Tags:

One Response to “…and that’s when the clown attacked”

  1. elaine Says:

    Whoa, Filipe! Natalie told me your blog is interesting, so I read it, and discovered you’re headed for Guanajuato! I’m going to be there for a language course from Feb 17 – 25. Send me tips and advice. Grassy-ass.

  2. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply