BootsnAll Travel Network



flores

last post was from flores, guatemala. this one’s from flores too. i just made an enormous circle.

palenque was great. the jungle is full of mosquitoes and hippies. the ruins are full of french tourists. took conni back to cancun and now she’s back in ohio for six more weeks before heading back to austria. austria is hardcore. she’ll have to kill a bull by headbutting it to be allowed back in. that’s just what i hear.

spent four or five days in cancun this time. went to the hotel zone. it’s weird there. i can’t afford to pay $40 just to get into a club so i didn’t go out there where all the spring breakers go. but i’ll settle this for anyone who’s still wondering. SPRING BREAK IS A HOAX. it’s an illusion created by mtv and club promoters who only need to sell you the plane ticket or hotel package or entrance fee and have no incentive to follow through. the image of the ultimate party is maintained by pride. you might not have had enough fun to justify the $4000 you spent for the week, but when someone asks you how your vacation was, what do you say? it was amazing!

conni’s spring break was the best two weeks of traveling i’ve ever seen anyone do.

yesterday i went snorkeling in a place called yal-ku. there were lots of fish but no really cool things like sharks. thank you diving for spoiling the water for me forever.

then i took a bus to chetumal and slept in the bus station, and today i rode through belize and back to flores. more stamps in my passport. belize makes you pay $17.50 USD for the privilege of being in their country for two hours. it’s always the most corrupt governments that make you pay the most stupid fines. thank you belize.

flores is on an island in the middle of a lake. it’s really beautiful. everyone who travels here goes to the ruins at 3am to see the sunrise. so it’s really boring too because everyone is in bed.

that’s why tonight i posted pictures. the last of cuernavaca, some carnaval parades from puerto escondido, and the most awesome thing – a shipwreck! enjoy. it’s on my flickr page.

tomorrow night i leave for guatemala city! my cousins mike and jenny are adopting a guatemalan boy named wil. they get here sunday afternoon and leave with him (finally!) on wednesday. i’m super excited because it’s a really special trip for them, and i haven’t seen them in a while…and i haven’t seen any family for four monhts.

then…i’ll be around guatemala for a few weeks. if you want to come visit, fly into guatemala city and come find me. i’ll be in one of the towns on lake atitlan. see you there?



Tags:

One Response to “flores”

  1. ed Says:

    Oh Belize, my Aunt spent a lot of time down there after a hurricane after hit it in the late 90’s to help rebuild things. The bar/resturant down where she lives raised money and sent supplies with her down there. She helped a lot of people in a small town and loved it. Great people that evidently get screwed by their government.

    I got to stop there on a cruise once, they drop you off in a shopping center that has huge gates keeping the real belize away and warn you venturing out is dangerous so stay in the magic expensive shopping plaza. I braved the danger and found magically cheaper crap to buy and cheaper beer. I was excited about one of them.

    Wow, this is longer than any blog post I have ever done on my blog. Keep up the good work Phil and watch your back for hippies.

  2. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply