BootsnAll Travel Network



To Joliba…and beyond

A major help, South African Jon McLeaConakry street sceneStreet foodCrucially, the multi fuel burner has survived the voyage... justStocking up for the canoe trip - on porridge, pasta and sardinesSearching for coffee, I follow a sign down a back street and am welcomed into a Conakry homeThe stove works!We're millionaires here!  They say money talks, but here it's more of a hum.  This stuff stinks, and we've both been feeling the effects of its contamination

Our last evening in relative civilisation and luxury. Yes, we’ve found a car to hire (rather expensive, but when else are we going to head to the source of the Niger River?), and at crack of dawn we’ll head off for the interior.

First stop will be Faranah, the first town on the Niger – or Joliba as it’s known by locals this far up. Incidentally, we’ve decided to call the canoe ‘Joliba’. This was the name Mungo Park gave to the craft he and his dwindling band of men constructed in their ill-fated attempt to run the river to its mouth. They made it as far as a place called Bussa in what is now Nigeria, but were ambushed and killed – tragically only about 350 miles short of their goal. With any luck our Joliba won’t meet the same end…

After Faranah, we’ll head off to the village of Bambaya where we hope to find a local guide. Then we’ll get on Shanks’ Pony – ie walk – to the source, hopefully about two days each way. I’ve heard locals are very superstitious about the source and don’t like people visiting it, but I’m sure that if the price is right we’ll find someone to take us there.

So this is it for the next few weeks. After finding the source, we’ll head back to Faranah, from where we’re hitting the river itself. We’re all supplied up, mainly with spaghetti, tinned sardines and couscous – yum! We expect the river trip to take about two weeks and we probably won’t be updating the blog until we get to Bamako in Mali. But watch this space. As soon as we can, we’ll get more up to let you know how the river was.

We’ll be a little older and a little wiser next time you hear from us.

A bientot!



Tags:

One Response to “To Joliba…and beyond”

  1. anthea Says:

    So it’s a week since we’ve last heard from you – I wonder where you are right now. nrOn the river – wow you’re actually on the Niger river……leisurely gliding along or frantically rowing to make up time? nrnrLook forward to the photos – and please, no gratuitous ‘look at my biceps’ shots. nrnrx Anthnrnrnrnr

Leave a Reply