BootsnAll Travel Network



The 4am Pursuit

I had an idea I wanted to photograph people asleep in the street. I wanted to give the pictures a ‘scene of crime’ objectivity and detachment, similar to the great Weegee of New York fame.

Ben and I had been observing street life in Bamako over the last few days, and we were both taken with the idea that life here happens without walls. Everything from eating and sleeping, to working and hanging out, happens within view of the world.

The camera I have doesn’t allow for any discrete long-shots, so I decided to get up at 0430 and patrol the streets, looking for some interesting juxtapositions.

People here are very wary of the camera. The street in Europe – which we consider to be a public place – is accepted here as being just a continuation of a living room.

So it’s not more than 10 minutes before the strobe of my flash gun attracts some unwanted attention. I’ve been spotted by a security guard or policeman who starts shouting, calling me to account. I can’t think how I’m going to explain my actions, so I keep walking. Next I hear a blast on a whistle, which cuts through the still night air, and I flinch as if a bullet just winged over my head.

Turning out of view I increase my pace back towards the sanctuary of the Auberge. I don’t look back, staying focused on trying to put some distance between us.

But I can’t help taking one last shot of a mother and two children sprawled out under an orning. Again I’m spotted: this time a woman selling street food yells her disapproval. I get the message and keep walking back to the room, imagining her giving the pursuing copper my last movements.

I creep back in and I lie in bed wondering who the British consular rep is in Bamako.

Suffice to say, I’m not spending the festive season in a Bamako jail, but that said project is on hold… Merry Christmas everyone!



Tags: ,

5 Responses to “The 4am Pursuit”

  1. Judith Says:

    For heavans sake Daniel, did you get your camera confiscated again? In future please wait ’till Ben is well enough to accompany you if you want to go out at night…………nrMerry Christmas Lovely Man. xx

  2. smile and others will just keep wondering :) Says:

    Dan… I chanced upon this fascinating read and knew this would be one worth savouring… safe adventures…nr nrA mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions. Alexander PopenrnrOut of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity. Albert Einstein

  3. Casper Says:

    Dan,

    Sounds like you’re having an amazing trip. Hope you had a good Christmas and look forward to regularly checking back. Beats hanging around at work anyway! Regards,

    Casper

  4. John and Anne Foster Says:

    Hi Ben and Dan,
    We have had trouble getting through to you but the last one worked so here goes for a proper message.
    We have really enjoyed reading the accounts of your journey, and all that has happened along the way. Well, I don’t suppose that you have told us everything, but after your night time photography, Dan, it is probably as well! The less said about that idea the better except that it isn’t only your Mum who wants to see you back in UK!
    Ben, we can see why you are a journalist as your descriptions are so detailed and evocative of the place. We really can imagine what it is like for you. Your description of having malaria was so real that I was reminded of what it felt like. Thank you very much for that!!
    Anne and I are off to La Gomera on Tuesday so look forward to reading the latest entries on our return.
    In the meantime we hope that the concert in the desert is all you hope that it will be and that 2007 brings a very successful conclusion to your travels.
    With our very best wishes, John and Anne

  5. chip Says:

    Ben – matt just gave me the link. I’d like to say I’m surprised you contracted maleria, but its about par for the course….bring on the ebola, right? See you when you get back…chip

Leave a Reply